U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 06:09 AM

30 posts, read 71,022 times
Default US 12 - Lewistown, ID to Missoula, MT

Hi all - maybe you can help me out - I'm embarking on a cross country road trip later this month (first time ever!) and my return route will have me crossing northern Idaho on August 13 or 14. I'm looking at US 12 from Lewistown to Missoula, MT (reconnecting with I-90 there to go farther East). It looks fairly isolated once you get about 50 miles E of Lewistown - is this a comfortable road to drive? I would not be doing it at night. Please let me know! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 09:01 AM

417 posts, read 737,672 times
Default Idaho's U. S. Route 12

U. S. Route 12 follows the Clearwater River from Lewiston to Orofino, then the middle fork of the Clearwater to Lowell, then the Lochsa River to the Idaho/Montana border at Lolo Pass (5,300 feet). There are no services from Lowell to Lolo Hot Springs, Montana (85 miles).

You're driving through the Clearwater National Forest most of the way and you are essentially following the path of the Lewis and Clark expedition of 1805. This is a beautiful daytime drive. I would rank it as one of the more scenic drives in Idaho. The road is two-lane, with curves and some hills and valleys. It is a river drive, as mentioned, through great forested areas. Traffic in mid-August will be heavy at times primarily due to tourists. There are a number of interpretive sites along the way that visitors will be stopping at. There is some truck traffic, including logging trucks, but it should not be heavy.

All in all, it should be a pleasant drive if you are not in a big hurry. Have a great trip!

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 08-01-2007, 10:54 AM

47 posts, read 162,086 times
Yes, you would be wasting a terrific scenic drive by doing this at night. I wouldn't drive this road by night (mountains, curves, two-lane), and if you can't help the night drive I would push north to CDA and get on I-90 east.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:20 AM

30 posts, read 71,022 times
Thanks for the tips - I think I will stop for the night in Lewistown on my first day eastbound and start day #2 with the US12 stretch in full daylight.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,772 times
Smile great route!

We were in Lewiston a few weeks ago (possibly relocating there), and decided to make the drive up to Missoula. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking The drive is rather curvy, and at some points hilly, but it is worth it. There are plenty of pull offs to take in the view (a few even have clean outhouses!) If you are looking for a good breakfast before you head out of Lewiston, cross over to Clarkston, and on 6th St (kind looks like a "Main St") there is a little cafe called Jawbone Flats Cafe...great food and friendly folks! Make sure to try the rib-eye, it is to die for! Best of luck on your trip!

Old 02-20-2011, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,249 times
Default Missoula to Lewiston

Can anyone tell me what the driving conditions will be like between Missoula and Lewiston in March? Google keeps sending me this way - but don't know about the mountians, road maintenance and spring snow storms... if they are common, etc...... Leaving March 12th...

Could drive up from Boise to Lewiston if that is a better direction. It is a little bit longer, though....

Please help

Old 02-21-2011, 10:04 AM

3,485 posts, read 3,645,401 times
It may make more sense to go south on 95 from Coeur d'Alene (I90 west from Missoula). I've never driven Highway 12 in winter, but if you read our thread about "Idaho's Highway 12" you'll not only get more info about the route, you'll also see that the megaload (the only one so far) got held up because of bad weather halfway along 12. And mid-March is still winter. I doubt that you'd encounter difficulties from the megaload shipments, but you never know. That's one reason why they're a concern.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:36 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,140,356 times
In March Hwy 12 is probably fine. If weather is a concern, taking the interstate from Missoula to CDA, then going down 95 is the other good route.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:57 PM

6 posts, read 5,988 times
Question What about travel trailer?

Hi all,

The family is looking at pulling our 29 foot travel trailer from the Ennis, MT area out to Dworshak State Park for some Spring camping and possible relocation scouting over the Easter weekend. We've never been out Highway 12 and I'm wondering what locals or people familiar with the road would recommend as far as towing a trailer through there in early April?

Google maps says the trek up around Lolo & Clearwater NF through Coeur d'Alene adds about an hour and a half vs. the scenic route. We're not windy mountain novices by car but are fairly green with a Suburban & the trailer.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-30-2012, 05:38 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,140,356 times
It is a two lane road, with lots of curves. You may also run into some snow. You may need to go fairly slow at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho