Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 03:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,535 times

Advertisements

All I have to say about Moscow is take a visit there before you judge it. I was born and raised in Boise, and attended the U of I after graduating high school. the three things that drew me to Moscow were: 1.) The beautiful architecture that is the U of I campus. I've seen Yale, Stanford, USC, BSU, ISU, WSU, and many other campuses and can say IMHO that you will not find a campus that makes you feel more like you are at an Ivy-league institution than U of I. 2.) The instructor to student ratio is phenomenal for a public institution (the avg. class size is 21 - compare to BSU or ISU). My sister went to BSU (didn't graduate :-( ) and constantly complained about class sizes and times - most of which were after 5:00pm to accommodate the commuter students. It's a rush come registration time to get a "prime" class time between 9:00AM and 4:00PM. That is not the case at U of I. The counselors are great and if you want instructors that care about you learning and growing, this is the place. 3.) The point of a college education is to elevate your education and prepare yourself for the real world. After graduating from U of I, I took 3 upper level accounting courses at BSU. I can say based on those courses that the emphasis is to grade you and get you out. The problem is, when you are interviewing for your dream job or are competing with the best in the real world, did your education prepare you for this? I can say whole heartedly U of I prepared me (if not over prepared me) for landing my first career position, and I attribute my post-graduate success to the U of I and for that am grateful. This institution's professors and courses taught me to work hard in order to succeed, and that's what a college education should be about. If you want to hang a piece of paper on the wall and say you did that, by all means go to BSU or University of Phoenix for that matter. Finally, Northern Idaho is without a doubt the most beautiful and unspoiled region in the state. To say that Boise is a better climate is just plain ignorant. And with the air quality problems Boise now has from it's growth, the sunny days in Boise during the fall and winter are much fewer and far between than they used to be. Being from there and seeing what it's become saddens me. The Idaho Statesman posts a daily pollution advisory for Boise - there IS no pollution advisory in Moscow. Bottom line, visit Moscow and visit Boise - that should make your decision very easy.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:24 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,093,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBanker View Post
All I have to say about Moscow is take a visit there before you judge it. I was born and raised in Boise, and attended the U of I after graduating high school. the three things that drew me to Moscow were: 1.) The beautiful architecture that is the U of I campus. I've seen Yale, Stanford, USC, BSU, ISU, WSU, and many other campuses and can say IMHO that you will not find a campus that makes you feel more like you are at an Ivy-league institution than U of I. 2.) The instructor to student ratio is phenomenal for a public institution (the avg. class size is 21 - compare to BSU or ISU). My sister went to BSU (didn't graduate :-( ) and constantly complained about class sizes and times - most of which were after 5:00pm to accommodate the commuter students. It's a rush come registration time to get a "prime" class time between 9:00AM and 4:00PM. That is not the case at U of I. The counselors are great and if you want instructors that care about you learning and growing, this is the place. 3.) The point of a college education is to elevate your education and prepare yourself for the real world. After graduating from U of I, I took 3 upper level accounting courses at BSU. I can say based on those courses that the emphasis is to grade you and get you out. The problem is, when you are interviewing for your dream job or are competing with the best in the real world, did your education prepare you for this? I can say whole heartedly U of I prepared me (if not over prepared me) for landing my first career position, and I attribute my post-graduate success to the U of I and for that am grateful. This institution's professors and courses taught me to work hard in order to succeed, and that's what a college education should be about. If you want to hang a piece of paper on the wall and say you did that, by all means go to BSU or University of Phoenix for that matter. Finally, Northern Idaho is without a doubt the most beautiful and unspoiled region in the state. To say that Boise is a better climate is just plain ignorant. And with the air quality problems Boise now has from it's growth, the sunny days in Boise during the fall and winter are much fewer and far between than they used to be. Being from there and seeing what it's become saddens me. The Idaho Statesman posts a daily pollution advisory for Boise - there IS no pollution advisory in Moscow. Bottom line, visit Moscow and visit Boise - that should make your decision very easy.
This entire comment is pretty bogus (with the exception of the air comment).

So - is this some project for the U of I admissions department, or are y'all just buddies that emailed each other when something critical was said about your alma mater?

I do find it curious that every glowing comment about the U of I is from a new register.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:40 AM

114 posts, read 399,881 times
Is your daughter California resident? or Idaho resident?

To be honest,I can't find a reason to go to college in Idaho unless I am Idaho resident.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:44 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,834,770 times
Anchorless,

There's nothing wrong with lurkers finally feeling compelled to post when they find someone's comments objectionable....I wouldn't look too deep for their motives...the same way I'll try not to discount your comments here carte blanche because of your obvious bias toward BSU....

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 08-04-2007 at 10:53 AM..

Old 08-04-2007, 03:08 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,283,527 times
Default U of I CDA/SP Campuses

I would like to borrow the energy of this thread on a sub-topic: the UI satellite campuses. Specifically, I am curious as to opinions on the UI satellite campus in CDA and the planned UI campus in Sandpoint. What have you experienced and heard?

Thanks, S

Old 08-06-2007, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 13,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movinin08 View Post
My daughter has been looking at colleges in the north west and has been looking at the University of Idaho. I read some earlier posts about Idaho State University and was wondering if thier was any feedback on UI and the area of Mosco. We will be visiting this fall to see the campus and the surrounding area but would love to get some thoughts before we go.

Thanks for any replys in advance.
Try not to let the rivalry thing sway you. The negative responses regarding U of I aren't from an objective sources. I have attended both schools, so I think I can speak to the differences with better authority.

The University of Idaho is far ahead of BSU academically and culturally. Our incoming classes have significantly higher grades and test scores. Idaho takes the lion's share of national merit scholars and has deep pockets when it comes to scholarships and research. The range of classes is greater and the campus is absolutely beautiful. As for $ invested per student, U of I's investment is nearly twice as high. The classes I took at U of I were much more challenging than those at BSU and there is a "study" culture - nearly every evening you'd link up with a few friends to go study together somewhere on campus.

From a demographic standpoint, while BSU enrolls more students, the students are usually "non-traditional" a/k/a part time with families and careers, etc. Idaho, on the other hand, is closer to the traditional college student body. BSU's 6-year graduation rate is 26% and Idaho's is 56%.

BSU is a commuter school, so there isn't much going on around campus. It seemed to me that most people drove in, went to class and left. Idaho has a vibrant campus culture regardless of whether you decide to go into a sorority, dorm or apartment.

As with any move from HS to college, the social scene will be an important step. While many detractors say that all people at Idaho do is party, they have it wrong. We studied very hard and U of I's campus is no more social than most traditional college campuses. BSU doesn't have much of a social scene beyond football tailgating (which Idaho has as well). Lots of driving around on weekends because the student body is spread throughout the city.

Moscow is cold. Boise gets cold. Once you get a warm coat, you'll be fine in Moscow. Every weekend, people go on ski trips and have a great time.

Clearly, my recommendation is U of I, but good luck in your search. Please try to disregard nasty posts based on a heated football rivalry - from both sides.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
This entire comment is pretty bogus (with the exception of the air comment).

So - is this some project for the U of I admissions department, or are y'all just buddies that emailed each other when something critical was said about your alma mater?

I do find it curious that every glowing comment about the U of I is from a new register.
There it is: the nastyness. There are new registers posting because somone noticed that our school is being portrayed incorrectly and we are here to remedy the problem. If you're going to post in response to someone's honest question, stop making absurd accusations and post some facts in a civilized and objective manner.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudVandal View Post
There it is: the nastyness. There are new registers posting because somone noticed that our school is being portrayed incorrectly and we are here to remedy the problem. If you're going to post in response to someone's honest question, stop making absurd accusations and post some facts in a civilized and objective manner.

I've provided links to most of my claims, and/or I've stated explicitly when they're anecdotal.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Try not to let the rivalry thing sway you. The negative responses regarding U of I aren't from an objective sources. I have attended both schools, so I think I can speak to the differences with better authority.
Actually, I've also attended both (though admittedly, only a semester at U of I), and I've had friends that have attended both. So I guess we're at a sort of impasse as far as the "better authority" goes.

Quote:
The University of Idaho is far ahead of BSU academically and culturally.
Eh, not so much. It depends on the academic program as well as what sort of "culture" you want.

We're a metropolitan university. We have a more diverse student body. Our athletics are among the best in the nation in several areas. We have opportunities for jobs and internships during the school year. Boise has a ton of things to do for entertainment and recreation.

Moscow is a small college town, and tends to be more close knit, traditional, and typical of a college experience. Most students don't work (and if they do, not much).

This dichotomy is a matter of preference, is all.

Quote:
Our incoming classes have significantly higher grades and test scores. Idaho takes the lion's share of national merit scholars and has deep pockets when it comes to scholarships and research. The range of classes is greater and the campus is absolutely beautiful. As for $ invested per student, U of I's investment is nearly twice as high.
All true. Changing toward more equity in BSU's favor, but all true.

Quote:
The classes I took at U of I were much more challenging than those at BSU and there is a "study" culture - nearly every evening you'd link up with a few friends to go study together somewhere on campus.
This happens at Boise just as frequently...downtown, at the SUB, at Albertson Library (the largest library in the state), on campus, etc. It's just there is a much wider range of choices in which to go study in Boise.

Quote:
From a demographic standpoint, while BSU enrolls more students, the students are usually "non-traditional" a/k/a part time with families and careers, etc. Idaho, on the other hand, is closer to the traditional college student body. BSU's 6-year graduation rate is 26% and Idaho's is 56%.
This is true, but I don't see the relevance of it. Our non-trads aren't a majority presence, and if you're on campus from 8 to 3 you're completely surrounded by "traditional" college kids - in the classroom and on campus.

Our non-trads are great, though. They bring a unique perspective and set of experiences to class, and are great to study with and talk with. I think they only add to the classroom and student body.

That said, our grad. rate is probably a reflection of the non-trads who may be only supplementing their careers with a few courses, or who may be unable to finish school in the standard 4-5 year period. Remove them from the equation and our grad. rate goes up considerably.

I'd also say that because Boise offers much more job opportunity, people tend to take more breaks during their college experience - take a leave of absence to pursue a job, save money, or whatever. My experience with U of I is that because there are fewer things to do, fewer jobs to be had, you tend to get in and get out a lot quicker, and that helps your graduation rate.

Quote:
BSU is a commuter school, so there isn't much going on around campus. It seemed to me that most people drove in, went to class and left. Idaho has a vibrant campus culture regardless of whether you decide to go into a sorority, dorm or apartment.
Note the marketing here.

BSU - there isn't much going on, people come and go.
UofI - we have a "vibrant" campus culture.

This isn't quite the objective portrait you're painting, now is it?

Nor is it entirely accurate (and anyone who has spent time in Boise knows what I'm taking about).

Quote:
As with any move from HS to college, the social scene will be an important step. While many detractors say that all people at Idaho do is party, they have it wrong. We studied very hard and U of I's campus is no more social than most traditional college campuses. BSU doesn't have much of a social scene beyond football tailgating (which Idaho has as well). Lots of driving around on weekends because the student body is spread throughout the city.
Again, bits of accuracy filtered through a lens of inaccuracy.

Boise has a very good social scene - it may not be as accessible or available as U of I, simply because of the logistical differences between the two places, but it's there. And there's certainly more to do than to "drive around on the weekends."

But do you actually deny Idaho's rep as a party school?

Quote:
Moscow is cold. Boise gets cold. Once you get a warm coat, you'll be fine in Moscow. Every weekend, people go on ski trips and have a great time.

Clearly, my recommendation is U of I, but good luck in your search. Please try to disregard nasty posts based on a heated football rivalry - from both sides.
The football rivalry is hardly the impetus.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Actually, I've also attended both (though admittedly, only a semester at U of I), and I've had friends that have attended both. So I guess we're at a sort of impasse as far as the "better authority" goes.

Eh, not so much. It depends on the academic program as well as what sort of "culture" you want.

We're a metropolitan university. We have a more diverse student body. Our athletics are among the best in the nation in several areas. We have opportunities for jobs and internships during the school year. Boise has a ton of things to do for entertainment and recreation.

Moscow is a small college town, and tends to be more close knit, traditional, and typical of a college experience. Most students don't work (and if they do, not much).

This dichotomy is a matter of preference, is all.

All true. Changing toward more equity in BSU's favor, but all true.

This happens at Boise just as frequently...downtown, at the SUB, at Albertson Library (the largest library in the state), on campus, etc. It's just there is a much wider range of choices in which to go study in Boise.

This is true, but I don't see the relevance of it. Our non-trads aren't a majority presence, and if you're on campus from 8 to 3 you're completely surrounded by "traditional" college kids - in the classroom and on campus.

Our non-trads are great, though. They bring a unique perspective and set of experiences to class, and are great to study with and talk with. I think they only add to the classroom and student body.

That said, our grad. rate is probably a reflection of the non-trads who may be only supplementing their careers with a few courses, or who may be unable to finish school in the standard 4-5 year period. Remove them from the equation and our grad. rate goes up considerably.

I'd also say that because Boise offers much more job opportunity, people tend to take more breaks during their college experience - take a leave of absence to pursue a job, save money, or whatever. My experience with U of I is that because there are fewer things to do, fewer jobs to be had, you tend to get in and get out a lot quicker, and that helps your graduation rate.

Note the marketing here.

BSU - there isn't much going on, people come and go.
UofI - we have a "vibrant" campus culture.

This isn't quite the objective portrait you're painting, now is it?

Nor is it entirely accurate (and anyone who has spent time in Boise knows what I'm taking about).

Again, bits of accuracy filtered through a lens of inaccuracy.

Boise has a very good social scene - it may not be as accessible or available as U of I, simply because of the logistical differences between the two places, but it's there. And there's certainly more to do than to "drive around on the weekends."

But do you actually deny Idaho's rep as a party school?

The football rivalry is hardly the impetus.
Look, I posted my opinion of both schools based on my experiences at both schools and living in both cities. You posted your opinion. I'm not going to waste my time responding to your childish beefs with my alma mater because you are clearly only here to argue and bash your rival.

Movin', I believe our stats speak for themselves when compared to other schools. I highly recommend Idaho. UW or Montana would be good choices as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho