Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,551 times

Advertisements

Our family is looking to relocate to Northern Idaho. We currently live in New England. One of my questions is regarding humidity/precipitation. I have chronically dry eyes and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on how dry the air is there? I've looked at the charts of dew points, relative humidity, annual precipitation, etc but it's all quite confusing.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 01:39 PM

39,857 posts, read 26,482,831 times
I'm from western NY, should be pretty comparable to you. It is MUCH less humid in NID. You can go outside and work and not be soaked with sweat all the time. On a hot summer day, you actually dry off after taking a shower. I hadn't realized just how great the difference was until I went back east on vacation.

When I first moved out, I had issues with minor nose bleeds for a few days, could only attribute it to the lack of humidity. It went away, and I love the summer weather here. Winters too...just wish they wern't so danged long. I seem to recall reading that RH in summer runs 15-20%.

I haven't heard about our weather bothering people's eyes, but that probably depends on the person. You might want to take a vacation out this way before you commit.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,551 times
Thank you for your thoughts. Yes, I assume the climate in Western NY is similiar to where we live now.

We were planning a trip but there's no way to be for all the different seasons before moving. I sort of thought that it would be *more* humid near the lake and Sandpoint seems to have a higher annual precipitation than other areas.

Have you noticed that some parts of northern Idaho are drier than others personally (if not dry eyes, then dry skin)? Are there any areas in Northern Idaho that are more humid?

Many thanks!

Old 05-13-2011, 12:17 PM

820 posts, read 1,738,864 times
Winter always seems dry to me, my skin dries out a bit, but I never feel it is dry like in the south (AZ, NM)

Old 05-18-2011, 03:38 PM

161 posts, read 396,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
Winter always seems dry to me, my skin dries out a bit, but I never feel it is dry like in the south (AZ, NM)
Agree with Shaner.

So Cal (inland, not by the beach) is much drier. But not humid here by any stretch of the imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: