Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 12:53 PM

7,377 posts, read 12,657,494 times

Advertisements

Triple murderer Paul Ezra Rhoades executed for the 1987 murders; first Idaho execution since 1994. Wonder if that makes Joseph Duncan a bit uneasy?

Triple killer Rhoades executed in Idaho - Spokesman.com - Nov. 18, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 10:12 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Triple murderer Paul Ezra Rhoades executed for the 1987 murders; first Idaho execution since 1994. Wonder if that makes Joseph Duncan a bit uneasy?

Triple killer Rhoades executed in Idaho - Spokesman.com - Nov. 18, 2011
I knew his last victim well. While I didn't know Rhoades, I saw him around town and knew him by sight. I know some other members of his extended family- it's a rather large clan, and all of them I know are pretty good folks and upstanding citizens. Paul's family were the black sheep, and always dysfunctional, from what people who knew him have all said. He was a real bully when he was a kid.

He had been on death row for so long, I think few here ever expected him to be executed. All of a sudden, his appeals ran out, and things started happening very quickly- I know it shocked a lot of people here after it went from being an abstraction to a reality.

I had no problem with his being executed; I'm against the death penalty in general, mostly because I feel it's a huge waste of money, but there are a few mad dogs among us, like Duncan and Rhoades, and I feel that their end of the gene pool should be dried up permanently.

Even so, his execution put me in a funk that lasted for 2 weeks. I constantly thought of Susan, her husband, and the times we had. They were one of those couples who were opposites in many ways- she was very outgoing, and her husband is a quiet guy, even when I got to know him well, but they loved each other deeply. Their son, who was less than 2 when his mother died, is now 25.
I'm sure her husband found peace with the terrible crime a long time ago- he's that kind of guy- but I sure didn't get any closure from the execution. It only brought back up a lot of old emotions for me.

The thing that disturbed me most was Rhoades' last words. He told the Haddon and Baldwin families he had nothing to do with their loved ones' deaths, and that was an outright lie. There was plenty of evidence left with both of those victims.
Both those families were interviewed before the execution, and both condemned him, especially Nolan Haddon's father. Rhoades' last words were just his way of getting back at them, I believe, and were evidence of just how cruel and mean spirited he was, right up to the final moments of his life. There was no honest regret or redemption in him.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:49 PM

Mike, that post of yours has really stayed with me ever since I read it. A truly disturbing story, hitting so close to home for you. Thanks for sharing it.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:52 PM

Default More North Idaho Burglaries

The Kootenai County burglaries seem to have moved north to Bonner County. Same modus operandi, but the police haven't caught anybody yet:

Burglaries on the rise in county - Bonner County Daily Bee: Local News: sandpoint, bonner county, burglaries, theft, kootenai county

Stay alert, folks.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:45 AM

Internet connections about to improve in Bonner County:

Northland completes connection to main Internet backbone - Bonner County Daily Bee: Business And Financial: sandpoint, bonner county, northland communications, internet, fiber optic

Old 12-05-2011, 10:49 PM

170 posts, read 462,925 times
CFF, thank you for your efforts keeping us up on what's happening in ID; it's much appreciated Merry Christmas to you!
Alwayslooking!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:26 AM

Thanks, AL! It helps me feel connected to our part-time home!
Merry Christmas to you, too!

Old 12-07-2011, 08:58 AM

New Verizon 4G service in NID--but not Hope and Clark Fork?

Verizon expands 4G service to North Idaho, Pullman, Kettle Falls, Schweitzer - Office Hours - Spokesman.com - Dec. 6, 2011

Old 01-20-2012, 01:23 PM

Good news for employment as well as for shoppers around Bonners Ferry:

Super 1 Foods to Hire 80 for its Bonners Ferry, Idaho Store | StateImpact Idaho

Old 01-21-2012, 09:25 AM

159 posts, read 305,781 times
Opening Super 1 sounds great for shopping & employment, but I love small town stores. We had a wonderful small grocery store in a town we lived in, in Missouri. Then a larger store moved in. Within the year our small, friendly, family like store had to close. All we were left with was a store filled with unfriendly service. It's a hard balance between service & choices. Hopefully, this Super 1 will focus on good family like service as well as employment & lot's to shop for. I just pray the other stores aren't completely pushed out, though I've not yet been to that area, so maybe the other stores aren't quite as great as my once small town store was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho