U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 08:59 AM

2,644 posts, read 4,932,867 times

Advertisements

Carole King Joins Millions in Women's March | Carole King

Singer-songwriter Carole King and half the town of Stanley, Idaho came out in a snowstorm to march in peace and solidarity with men, women and children on seven continents around the world on January 21, 2017.

Carole King
‏@Carole_King
Half the town of Stanley, Idaho (pop. 63) came out in a snowstorm to march in peace & solidarity w/ men, women, & children on 7 continents.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2va3zYUQAA7Qe6.jpg

Last edited by Syringaloid; 01-24-2017 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 05:11 PM

20,057 posts, read 13,477,638 times
I know Carol.
The poor gal can't stand living here for very long, but she just can't keep from coming back either.

That's probably the total population of Stanley, behind her in that picture. The population is 63 in the summertime. Winters in Stanley ain't fun, so most folks take off until the snow melts.

I just spent most of the day snow fighting. It snowed in Idaho Falls for 24 straight hours, and dumped 14" on top of the 20 that was already on the ground. More on the way, so I figured I had better get the snow blower out quick.

I keep forgetting I'm not 30 anymore; pushing the snowblower exhausted me before I cleared half the driveway, and I was taking a breather when the lady who has the paper route came up the street, an amazing feat in itself, but her 3-ton Suburban helped her out.
I didn't expect the paper would arrive today. She said she did 2 car routes and 8 foot routes for carriers who couldn't get out to do theirs.

Went in the house, drank coffee, warmed up, and finished the driveway, sort of. Thought I had it cleared enough to get the car out to the street if I gave it a fast run.
Bad plan. Too much snow in the gutter, and got the car stuck halfway out in the street. I was about dug out when the paper lady came back down the street, all through for the day.

I'm gonna have to give her a big tip this month; she, her hubby, and her grown son all gave me a push, and got the car loose. I'm a happy guy now, but I still have a lot of sidewalk to clear. Neighbor Joe came over and we shoveled me first and shoveled him next, so it's all good. The day is actually really nice outside.

Stay safe, folks... there's supposed to be a blizzard coming tonight. If it's strong, S.E. Idaho will be buried up to the top wire on a fencepost, so it's no time to be on the roads.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:13 PM

4,250 posts, read 4,051,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
...I was taking a breather when the lady who has the paper route came up the street, an amazing feat in itself, but her 3-ton Suburban helped her out.
I didn't expect the paper would arrive today...
I always 'love' your stories. I tell ya . . . ya got to get that bestseller finished.

Anyway, something to think about; a subscription to the CDA Press includes a subscription to the electronic copy too. I'm not sure if the Post Register offers the same, but might be worth checking into. The daily is available around midnight and you log into their periodical 'bookshelf', (with your paid user account and password), and click on the date of the paper you want to read.

It is in the form of a PDF file and I always download them to my laptop so that I can read them at my leisure. It is an exact copy of the newsprint edition, including advertisements printed on any specific page, but does not include any inserts, such as Parade magazine or grocery store/Cabela's/Macy's/etc. Even has classified ads.

The electronic copy is the same monthly cost as the driveway delivered version.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-25-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I know Carol.
She is a regular up in the Stanley and Sun Valley areas. I remember being in Ketchum when she released her new book at a local bookstore.

Her ranch is for sale. Makes me wonder if she is giving it up for a smaller property or condo in Ketchum/Sun Valley.

Doesn't she also own another ranch in that area?

Carol King Idaho Ranch for Sale Photos | Architectural Digest

Carole King puts Idaho ranch with its own geothermal springs on sale | Daily Mail Online

More Sun Valley news:
http://www.idahostatesman.com/entert...123915749.html
Bruce Willis and Demi Moore donate the Liberty Theatre in Hailey to Company of Fools

Last edited by Syringaloid; 01-25-2017 at 09:38 AM..

Old 01-25-2017, 01:10 PM

I haven't seen her for a couple of years, so I don't know where she's spending most of her time now for sure.
In the recent past, she's mostly been living in S. Cali and Hawaii when she's not on the road.

Since L.A. is where the most of her music resources and touring band members live, that's the biggest reason she's there so much these days. Her place in Robinson Bar is real remote and hard to get to, and Idaho is pretty far from the big music industry she's part of.

A lot of the musicians she runs with also live there; they are all long-time friends and associates, and they all often use the same bunch of back-up musicians. James Taylor, one of her oldest friends, has been doing shows and they've been working together on songs. They both collaborated on songs off and on for many years. The entire group is always coming and going on the road.

As far as I know, that's the only place she's ever owned in Idaho. She liked the remoteness for quite a while when she was going through a lot of different problems in L.A., but over the years, the probs either went away through time passing or were resolved, and for the past 6 years or more, she has gone back to songwriting and performing much more than in the past.

She often snowbirded to Hawaii for a month or so during the winters; Robinson Bar gets a lot of snow and cold every year, and everyone tends to get cabin fever in places like that. She's a real nice, generous person. Even though she doesn't spend much time in New York anymore, she's still a New York girl in many ways.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:17 AM

Island Park Is The Snowiest Spot In The State Of Idaho

Edit:
A few examples of how our new president's actions already have negative ramifications for Idaho:

Governor Otter has spent a lot of time in foreign countries setting up trade with our state's commodities.

Quote:
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...128857989.html
Trade war would injure Idaho’s farmers and economy, but Trump could help timber industry

Quote:
http://missoulian.com/news/local/tru...9ba98fc79.html
Trump hiring freeze leaves Forest Service workers wondering about firefighting jobs

Last edited by Syringaloid; 01-26-2017 at 11:47 AM..

Old 01-26-2017, 05:16 PM

Island Park is always snowy. Because it's so high, it's also typically colder, too, so the snow begins earlier and stays longer than just about anyplace where people live in Idaho except for possibly Stanley.

With Idaho Fall's accumulated level is around 60 inches (5 feet) this year, so it would ben no surprise to see up to 20 feet in parts of Island Park. They almost always measure the snow in feet, not inches.

Because it's so snowy, the area is surprisingly accessible all winter except for the individual cabin roads that are privately owned. All the lodges are past masters at snow removal and handling, and because Hwy.20 is an important route, it's always plowed well.

The highway does have it's dangers, however. Since it's a caldera, there are large flat areas that can get drifted in very quickly when it's windy, and some areas get quite a bit of wind. The Ashton grade is much improved from the white-knuckle drive it once was down it year-round, but it is still very steep and long. Not as long as Whitebird, but much steeper. It can still be scary going up or coming down in bad weather.

Another hazard in the winter are the snow machines. They aren't supposed to be driven on the highway, but it happens all the time, and there are a lot of crossings for them that get very high snow berms on either side of the road. The drivers tend to cross onto the highway without stopping and looking first, so once in a while, a car is right there too.

The caldera is probably the best place to ride a snowmobile anywhere. The terrain allows speed if one wants to speed, has all kinds of slopes if slope cutting is the thing, and it extends into the heart of Yellowstone if one wants to really do a snowmobile tour. There are thousands of riders every year all winter long who come back every year.

One that will never change are the bridges over the Buffalo River in the Hagerman State Park area. During the winter, the river very often causes a local opaque fog over the bridges; the air can be crystal clear one second, and the next is a complete white-out. The fog doesn't drift much, but the sudden change is alarming. I never know if a semi is coming my direction every time I go through the fog.

Last edited by banjomike; 01-26-2017 at 05:33 PM..

Old 01-31-2017, 03:52 PM

http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3...-B8ouRj44N&s=1

Quote:
TO: Mayor and Council
NUMBER: RES-71-17
DATE: January 31, 2017
SUBJECT: Welcoming City
Quote:
BACKGROUND:
A resolution finding that the City of Boise is committed to being a welcoming city and creating a community where all of our residents feel welcomed, safe, and able to fully participate in, and contribute to, our city's economic and social life.
Whereas the City of Boise was built by pioneering immigrants, and our history is one of
welcoming those seeking freedom from persecution and the opportunity for a better life; and

Whereas the City of Boise has remained true to our heritage, and since the 1970s has welcomed
refugees seeking new homes, safety, freedom, and opportunity; and

[mod cut]

[mod edit] It is contrary to the C-D T.O.S. to quote a source in its entirety. Those who wish to read the full resolution may find it on the Boise City government web site at:

http://boisecityid.iqm2.com/Citizens...ms=RES%2071-17

On that page, you will see a hyperlink titled "Printout" under the "Attachments" header where you can download a PDF version of Resolution 71-17. [/mod edit]

Last edited by volosong; 02-02-2017 at 12:39 PM..

Old 02-02-2017, 09:27 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,353,615 times
The Coeur d'Alene Press - Local News, Feel fine dating online

Old 02-02-2017, 11:49 AM

[mod cut]

http://www.kivitv.com/news/final-ref...avel-ban-looms
Final refugees land in Boise as travel ban looms

Quote:
The International Rescue Committee rescued him... and got him out. Last week he touched down in Boise.

"I like it very much," he said. "Boise, so far, I love it."

The IRC says the Trump Administration will use the 4 month ban on refugees to make the process more difficult.

But in the meantime, Divin is thankful to be reunited with his mother, sister, and brother here in Boise. He's looking for a full time job to support his family, and hope to become a lawyer or theologian.

"I love the bible," he says

Last edited by volosong; 02-02-2017 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: debate about ideas belong in a different thread/forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or