Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2017, 08:21 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
banjomike, have you heard of this?

Most People Have Never Heard The Eerie Legend Of Idaho's Bermuda Triangle

Tucked away in east Idaho, near the Wyoming border and on the edge of the Caribou-Targhee National Forest...

Wanda Peavey (1994) claimed a band of apparitions caused her to swerve off the road. David Massett (1989) stated that he felt his car sliding as though on ice, despite driving in the middle of summer.
Nope.
But that area has a lot of roads with abrupt drop-offs, and lots of animals, which sometimes can look strange in the right conditions. It's full of narrow, steep dirt logging roads that can be treacherous year-round, and the paved roads have spots that are prone to landslides and avalanches. So there's lots of stuff that can cause mysterious disappearances. It's also a very easy area to become disoriented; hikers and hunters are always getting lost there almost every year.

I have a good personal example of an 'apparition'.
One night as I was returning to I.F. after playing at a lodge located at the edge of the Targhee Natl. Forest, I saw what appeared to be an apparition.

It was around 2:30 am, on a wintry night that was blustery. The wind was kicking up spindrift snow over the highway, and the road was icy. Visibility wasn't very good.
As I reached a spot called Antelope Flats, I looked across some farm fields when something caught my peripheral vision. It looked like 2 men, carrying something, walking side by side from uphill, where it was timbered. They were approaching the highway from about a mile away, walking quite steadily. But something looked 'off' to me, and gave me a creepy feeling.

As I came closer, I started to gradually slow down, thinking they could possibly be a couple of snow machine riders who had a breakdown. If so, I would be willing to give them a ride into the closest town, which was about 7 miles away. It wasn't a night to leave anyone out in the elements.

By the time they reached the highway, I was almost at a dead stop a few yards away. The 2 men turned out to be a huge black bull moose with 4 high white stockings, one on each leg, and a beard that was half-white.

From the angle of my approach, those legs looked for all the world like 2 men walking in tandem. I did a full stop, and the moose calmly walked across the highway, headed straight downward to the Snake River canyon, which was only a few yards off the highway, which runs parallel to it.

I was really glad I had begun to slow down way before. If I had been going faster, I would have either just missed the moose or had a collision with it. And then I would have been an apparition, for sure.

I suspect the stories came from incidents similar to mine. But I have heard about magnetic anomalies in that area, as the story mentioned.

The old highway was only a few yards from the canyon rim for miles, back in the day, and there were quite a lot of slide-offs that ended up in the river, which is about a half-mile straight down. While few of the cars were ever recovered, most of them had witnesses, but not all.
That stretch of road was so notoriously dangerous that the state abandoned that stretch and built a new road that ran parallel to it, far enough away from the canyon rim to allow a slide-off from becoming lethal. The old road is still pretty much intact, but now is fenced off from the present roadbed.

One particular slide-off was uncovered about 10 years ago during a very dry year in the drought. The Snake was shut off at the Palisades dam in October to conserve the remaining water for the following year, so the stream bed went to a historic low flow, and the car became visible at last.

The car had human remains still in it. The person had last been seen about 12 years prior, and was the father of one of the Four Freshman, the famous pop group from the 1950's. He was a lifelong resident of the area, and I had met him previously on a couple of occasions.

Anyhow, I tend to think that most of the mysterious disappearances had natural causes, and they have been going on forever. Like all stories, I'm sure most of them were inflated by the telling as the years went by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 07:56 PM

279 posts, read 486,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Twin Falls is undergoing flooding today, and Salmon may be flooding, but I haven't heard anything about there. The temps are forecast to stay warm and w/ possible rain.
It's melting here very quickly but no flooding... yet. Keeping a close eye on the river in the backyard. We've had many slowslides along the highway though (93) and issues with huge boulders that have come down, but they've been very good (and fast) with cleanup. So far, so good. There was a pretty big avalanche towards the top of the pass the other day that blocked all 4 lanes for a while. Little unnerving.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:56 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
A Massive Steamboat Graveyard Is Sitting At The Bottom Of This North Idaho Lake

Old 02-24-2017, 07:59 AM

Ketchum officially becomes

Ketchum officially becomes ‘welcoming city’ to immigrants, refugees

City Council unanimously approved resolution Tuesday night

Quote:
It states that “since the founding of Ketchum, the community has welcomed miners, sheepherders and ski enthusiasts from all over the world … and foreign-born Ketchum residents are a vital part of our community, bringing fresh perspectives and new ideas, starting businesses, and contributing to the vibrant diverse community that we all value.”

Old 02-24-2017, 01:27 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,077 times
Some good news for those of us who live in Bonner County -

Bonner General Hospital designated Level IV trauma center
Reduces time to reach intervention

Dave

Old 02-28-2017, 10:11 AM

No Jail Time For 19-Year-Old In Idaho Coat-Hanger Assault Case : The Two-Way : NPR

Old 02-28-2017, 10:48 PM

26 posts, read 49,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Nope.
But that area has a lot of roads with abrupt drop-offs, and lots of animals, which sometimes can look strange in the right conditions. It's full of narrow, steep dirt logging roads that can be treacherous year-round, and the paved roads have spots that are prone to landslides and avalanches. So there's lots of stuff that can cause mysterious disappearances. It's also a very easy area to become disoriented; hikers and hunters are always getting lost there almost every year.

I have a good personal example of an 'apparition'.
One night as I was returning to I.F. after playing at a lodge located at the edge of the Targhee Natl. Forest, I saw what appeared to be an apparition.

It was around 2:30 am, on a wintry night that was blustery. The wind was kicking up spindrift snow over the highway, and the road was icy. Visibility wasn't very good.
As I reached a spot called Antelope Flats, I looked across some farm fields when something caught my peripheral vision. It looked like 2 men, carrying something, walking side by side from uphill, where it was timbered. They were approaching the highway from about a mile away, walking quite steadily. But something looked 'off' to me, and gave me a creepy feeling.

As I came closer, I started to gradually slow down, thinking they could possibly be a couple of snow machine riders who had a breakdown. If so, I would be willing to give them a ride into the closest town, which was about 7 miles away. It wasn't a night to leave anyone out in the elements.

By the time they reached the highway, I was almost at a dead stop a few yards away. The 2 men turned out to be a huge black bull moose with 4 high white stockings, one on each leg, and a beard that was half-white.

From the angle of my approach, those legs looked for all the world like 2 men walking in tandem. I did a full stop, and the moose calmly walked across the highway, headed straight downward to the Snake River canyon, which was only a few yards off the highway, which runs parallel to it.

I was really glad I had begun to slow down way before. If I had been going faster, I would have either just missed the moose or had a collision with it. And then I would have been an apparition, for sure.

I suspect the stories came from incidents similar to mine. But I have heard about magnetic anomalies in that area, as the story mentioned.

The old highway was only a few yards from the canyon rim for miles, back in the day, and there were quite a lot of slide-offs that ended up in the river, which is about a half-mile straight down. While few of the cars were ever recovered, most of them had witnesses, but not all.
That stretch of road was so notoriously dangerous that the state abandoned that stretch and built a new road that ran parallel to it, far enough away from the canyon rim to allow a slide-off from becoming lethal. The old road is still pretty much intact, but now is fenced off from the present roadbed.

One particular slide-off was uncovered about 10 years ago during a very dry year in the drought. The Snake was shut off at the Palisades dam in October to conserve the remaining water for the following year, so the stream bed went to a historic low flow, and the car became visible at last.

The car had human remains still in it. The person had last been seen about 12 years prior, and was the father of one of the Four Freshman, the famous pop group from the 1950's. He was a lifelong resident of the area, and I had met him previously on a couple of occasions.

Anyhow, I tend to think that most of the mysterious disappearances had natural causes, and they have been going on forever. Like all stories, I'm sure most of them were inflated by the telling as the years went by.
Thank you! I enjoyed your stories.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:02 PM

4,000 elk, 15 tons of hay per day in one cool, time-lapse video | Idaho Statesman

Old 03-05-2017, 01:23 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,077 times
Truck Hearings Announced for North Idaho

SANDPOINT — Public hearings will be held in the second week of March to take comment on applications allowing trucks weighing up to 129,000 pounds on sections of U.S. 95, Idaho 1, U.S. 2, Idaho 41 and Idaho 54.

Old 03-05-2017, 04:08 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Anybody interested in logging? Take a one-day logging workshop!

Bonner County Daily Bee - Outdoors, Logger workshops set in N. Idaho

Quote:
2017 LEAP Updates will be held at three locations: in Lewiston Idaho on Tueday, March 14, and Coeur d’Alene and Sandpoint on Wednesday, March 15. This year’s topics include: costs of tethered logging; geotextiles and road stabilization; ecology and silviculture of Engelmann spruce; Trimble 4-loads and other developing logging support software; Ponsse logging equipment; variances and other forest practice act updates; mechanical site preparation for reforestation; managing forest habitats for moose; loggers and fire; loggers and forest policy; and trends in forest product markets. LEAP Update also helps loggers to fulfill Idaho Pro-Logger program annual continuing education and best management practice training requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho