Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 02:35 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
If you're waiting because you are worried about schools, you needn't. Funding for Idaho schools is poor, but there are some awesome teachers and that makes up for it in many ways. In Sandpoint there are plans in the works for a new high school next door to the new UI campus out on Boyer. I haven't seen the plans personally, but the Bee (newspaper) is hailing them as excellent, with an added bonus of being next to a college! Supposed to be completed for 2009.

Actually it's because of support and visitation obligations I think my ex would have something to say about me taking my son to ID. It would go over like a turd in the punch bowl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 10:28 PM

6 posts, read 19,667 times
Thanks for your reply. In your opinion, what is the biggest difference in living in CDA versus Sandpoint? We have three boys 13,12, and 10. Hawaii is not what it use to be, and the cost of living is outrageous!! We lived in Colorado for a while, and loved it. The altitude of 7,000' did not agree with my husbands health. We have always been fascinated by Northern Idaho. I am looking forward to seeing it this fall.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:48 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,143 times
Sandpoint is smaller and more tourist oriented. Wetter/more humid. Very little industrial, mostly retail stores. Has a small town feel- everyone knows everyone else. Mountains are taller. I hesitate to say this because I doubt it is a word, but... artsier. Bluer on the political scale.
On the negative side, Sandpoint is absolutely choked with the worst traffic this side of San Diego, the job market is nill, winters are significantly more severe, housing prices are terrible, gas is 30 cents more expensive than CDA, amenities are questionable at best. Power supply isn't not exactly reliable- same with satellite tv and satellite internet (the only thing available in much of the region).

Does that help?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Sandpoint is smaller and more tourist oriented. Wetter/more humid. Very little industrial, mostly retail stores. Has a small town feel- everyone knows everyone else. Mountains are taller. I hesitate to say this because I doubt it is a word, but... artsier. Bluer on the political scale.
On the negative side, Sandpoint is absolutely choked with the worst traffic this side of San Diego, the job market is nill, winters are significantly more severe, housing prices are terrible, gas is 30 cents more expensive than CDA, amenities are questionable at best. Power supply isn't not exactly reliable- same with satellite tv and satellite internet (the only thing available in much of the region).

Does that help?
Not to totally disagree with you, but I will on some points as I saw them during my brief trip:

Traffic: Worst traffic this side of San Diego
Believe me, living in So Cal, I know traffic. Yes Sandpoint gets congested, especially downtown, which you don't have a choice but to go through, if you come from the south end on 95. The Long Bridge gets really backed up to, but I didn't find it at all irritating. In order for the traffic in SP to equal CA traffic, US95 would have to back up all the way to CDA.
You can avoid downtown, if you're on the north side of the river (US2 area), by taking Boyer street (I think) and cutting over.

Gas: Of course this changes daily, but during my trip I never saw more than about a 15 or 20 cent difference from Post Falls, all the way to Bonners Ferry. In fact I found fuel prices in the basic area of SP to be on the cheaper side by a few cents. It was all cheaper than here

Sorry xa'at. Everything else, I wouldn't know about, I can only tell you my observation of what I noticed.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:02 AM

6 posts, read 19,667 times
You have been so helpful Xa'at. All of your input has really painted a clear picture for us.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:05 AM

All I can say is that I call it as I see it. And I've been here, off and on, for a long time.
Traffic isn't as bad as California. I'll admit that was a hyperbole. But it is far worse than CDA, so you get the point. Besides, after you've been here a while your point of view changes. After spending an hour stuck in traffic and another half hour stuck behind a train, you aren't thinking of how nice this is compared to California, you're thinking of how you just completely missed that meeting.
Gas in Sandpoint, as it stands right now, is just shy of $3.00. However, that is down significantly from the $3.30 I am told it was early in the summer. At the Shell station north of CDA, the cost is $2.80. In Hayden it's $2.70... On Appleway it's $2.60... you get the point. That's a significant difference for two towns that are something like an hour apart.
Not to totally disagree with you, of course

Old 08-21-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauimom View Post
You have been so helpful Xa'at. All of your input has really painted a clear picture for us.
No problem. If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me! I also have a collection of photographs of Sandpoint if you are interested.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 6,350 times
What part of Norco do you live in? We live in the old part, down by the riverbottom. Do you and your wife have horse's?
It sounds like a lot of people are leaving Ca. I can't say as I blame them.
Have you gotten any info on property that have well's verses being on line with the city water.
Sounds like I can get alot of info from this site.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bowman View Post
What part of Norco do you live in? We live in the old part, down by the riverbottom. Do you and your wife have horse's?
It sounds like a lot of people are leaving Ca. I can't say as I blame them.
Have you gotten any info on property that have well's verses being on line with the city water.
Sounds like I can get alot of info from this site.

We live at 3rd and Hillside. The Hillside that goes from Third street to where it dead ends at the riverbed, not the Hillside by the High School I call it upper Hillside

We have 5 horses but we're (I am) trying to sell 2 of them. If she had her way she would keep all 5 of them and get more I tell her you can only ride one at a time

She is more into it than I am. I have to many other things going on, plus I work weekends. My wife is in the Cowgirl Way equestrian drill team. They will be working the Rodeo this weekend, but not preforming.

As far as property is concerned, I think most larger porperties are well water, but the 10 acres we looked at in Moyie Springs was community water. Just make sure with communtiy water that you can either irrigte with it, or have the option to drill your own for irrigation. Be careful about how deep you will have to go for water also. I don't know how much it is per foot to drill, but it will add up fast if you have to go 500 feet+

The most important thing, and I'm no expert believe me, is to make sure you have the water tested for quality, and make sure you have a good producing well (at least 50 GPM) if you're going to irrigate pasture. AND FILE FOR YOUR WATER RIGHTS I understand that a lot of people have not been doing that (my realtor told me it is important) and they'll wish they did later down the road.

There is tons and tons of info here. Seems like a lot more info on the Southern part of the state, than the North form CDA and up though. just ask away. Lots of helpful people here. We are going to try to make it up there again around Christmas/New Years. Gotta experience the winter

Old 08-21-2007, 10:41 PM

862 posts, read 2,621,615 times
We were going to move to Post Falls, ID but the housing and job market was not the best. Housing was high, even in the declining market. CDA was VERY expensive, beautiful but expensive.

Teaching jobs were almost impossible to get since there are the universities nearby in Washington letting in A LOT of newbie graduates looking for teaching jobs.

Area was gorgeous but pricey and low on the job market. A nice retirement area if you got the $$$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho