Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:30 AM

30 posts, read 76,450 times

Advertisements

Wow, THANKS to everyone so much for all the great ideas and advice. Hauled home a couple of old pallets I got for free today. Looks like we'll be getting 1/2 tamarack 1/2 Red Fir for $180 for 1.25 Cord.

We bought a Moisture Meter today. I think it is a "must" for the un-trained eye. The Fir that came with our property and has been sitting awhile tested at 8% (very dry), the wood a neighbor took done from last year was 30% and the dead stuff I cut from the yard was about 12%. I like my little moisture tool/toy.

Thanx again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 12:16 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
...We used 15 cords last winter..
Dang, that's alot of wood. I usually burn 3-4 cords.

With regards to stacking, I put two strips of evenly sized splits on the ground and stack on them. A couple 2x4 or 2x6s would work too. I don't like pallets, seems like I always end up walking/tripping on them to the the wood in the rear row.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:46 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
Don't you folks out there have any decent hardwood to burn? No maple, oak, birch, beech etc????

Old 06-09-2011, 01:17 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,536 times
conifers dominate 1000 to1

Old 06-09-2011, 03:22 PM

291 posts, read 669,622 times
We used 15 cords last winter.

Whoa! That's a lot of firewood.
What a great way to get your kids to leave the nest.
"Hey Jr., we need another load of wood".

My uncle in Wyoming burns 2 1/2 to 3 cords a winter in a pretty good sized house.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:29 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
Man we are lucky here in Ontario. I used to have this big old house with no insulation, lousy windows and the wind just whistled through that old place. I had my own hardwood bush but it was not even worth my time and effort to cut and split wood. There was a mill near me that made hickory implement handles. All the cutoffs and slabs and other assorted pieces went into an old triaxle sitting at the end of a conveyer. He would bring a whole triaxle over to my place for $125. I had a wood furnace and a kitchen stove. It was so funny, there would be 4 ft of snow on the ground and about 5 ft out from the walls of my house the grass was green from the tremendous heatloss. One Feb. day it was -35 and a friend of mine showed up from the city. He laughed his head off because I was running around the house in my shorts and tee shirt, I had all the doors open and it was over 90 degrees in the house.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:38 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Don't you folks out there have any decent hardwood to burn? No maple, oak, birch, beech etc????
No maple, oak or beach, unless someone is taking down a lawn tree. There is some birch, which isn't great anyway. I don't think there is a hickory in the state. Predominantly conifers out this way. There is a bright spot-tamarack and red fir split really nice, not like oak! And also make decent fuel. Not up there with a good hardwood, but not bad.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:07 AM

324 posts, read 714,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMMan View Post
We used 15 cords last winter.

Whoa! That's a lot of firewood.
What a great way to get your kids to leave the nest.
"Hey Jr., we need another load of wood".

My uncle in Wyoming burns 2 1/2 to 3 cords a winter in a pretty good sized house.
Yep, the house we had wasn't insulated too much - lotta leakage. Plugged the cracks with triplefoam. We're up high in NM - and now in need of a new home, since we got pushed out from the fire. When I lived up on Wind River Rez we used 4 cords.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:08 AM

324 posts, read 714,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
If I had that pretty wood - it wouldn't be going into the fireplace! We have some birch - but it provides very little btu's, so we make canoes.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:52 PM

291 posts, read 669,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
Yep, the house we had wasn't insulated too much - lotta leakage. Plugged the cracks with triplefoam. We're up high in NM - and now in need of a new home, since we got pushed out from the fire. When I lived up on Wind River Rez we used 4 cords.
Ok, that makes more sense. I had a cousin that lived in a mobile home in Dubois and he couldn't hardly stop hunting firewood all year to get ready for winter..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: