Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 07:15 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times

Advertisements

I was hoping to get a little info on the Port of Lewiston (and the area in general) and its operations from anyone that might know a bit. My background consists of rail/intermodal operations/port security and I was looking for info on employment opportunities with them.

I am currently working on my Masters in Transportation and Logistics Management, and will be finished with the degree in around 18 months. My academic and work experience puts me in a very select field, and I'm trying to keep my options open. My wife and I currently live in the Eugene, Oregon area and I recognize that we will most likely need to relocate for me to find a quality employment opportunity.

Is there a link for POL employment opportunities? I can't seem to find one on their website. Also, what is the average snowfall for the area? We get snow where we live, but it is quite mild compared to many other areas. I've spent a little time in Idaho before, but have never been north of McCall, and never experienced a winter there. My current map shows a population of roughly 31,000 in Lewiston. How would you rate the area in terms of entertainment and commerce?

Thank you all for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
I can't speak specifically about the Port.

However, I have lived in Lewiston and have visited frequently over the years. Due to its low elevation in the Snake River Valley, it probably is one of the warmest areas of Idaho, both winter and summer. Snowfall does occur, but not much more than Eugene. However, this area is unlike W. Oregon in almost every other way. It feels very small-town, it is an agricultural region, (I know so is W. Oregon, but it is more pronounced in E. WA/W.C. Idaho). Bigger city culture, entertainment, etc. almost non-existent. That being said, a nice place to live with a low cost of living.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:58 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
I looked for a POL job link but didn't find one either. Might be simplest to give them a quick call or shoot them an e-mail.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:32 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Thank's you two for the insight. ^^^^^

Is there really no one else out there that is familiar with the port of Lewiston or their operations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho