Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 07:58 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,297 times

Advertisements

I too am also in agreement with you Safety First, especially in regards to "cultural diversity". After visiting areas in No ID a few weeks ago, I think from what I saw, that the populas you seek will be there, but the weather I don't know about. I plan to visit in the winter to find out what it's going to be like.

HERE is my post from my trip at the end of July if you feel so inclined to read it.

Good luck in your quest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 04:06 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,377 times
I don't want to get obtrusively politically correct or even just plain political here, but you should know that the vast majority of Idahoans, conservative or not, do not tolerate racism. Whether or not that is what you're expressing, I wouldn't pretend to know, so don't jump on me.
A lot of people back east or down south seem to have this idea that Idahoans are a bunch of racist white people, and it simply isn't true. Everyone knows that the Aryan Nations made their headquarters in North Idaho. What they don't seem to know is that we drove them out, rather forcefully.
Just something to think about.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:24 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
I don't want to get obtrusively politically correct or even just plain political here, but you should know that the vast majority of Idahoans, conservative or not, do not tolerate racism. Whether or not that is what you're expressing, I wouldn't pretend to know, so don't jump on me.
A lot of people back east or down south seem to have this idea that Idahoans are a bunch of racist white people, and it simply isn't true. Everyone knows that the Aryan Nations made their headquarters in North Idaho. What they don't seem to know is that we drove them out, rather forcefully.
Just something to think about.

Excellent statements Xa'at. I personally think the reason why Idaho has been given a bad rap about racism is because the national press really blew the whole Arayan Nations thing into this big media sensation. I think it was because they didn't know anything about Idaho. Idaho rarely makes national news so when the national press found out about the Arayan Nations they jumped on it and made the whole state out to be racist. This is why the press is mostly a joke and cannot be trusted in most cases. When the A.N. Headquarters was forced out of Idaho, their compound was burned to the ground by the state. But did the national press talk about that? No.
Idaho in general is not a racist state. Idaho probably has some of the most accepting, kind, people of any state regardless of what color your skin is. There will be people who live here that are racist, but that is found all over the world even in big cities. Hell I have heard that Portland or Seattle have more skinheads than ever have existed in the state of Idaho.
What I am sick and tired of is Reverse Discrimination. It is almost a sin to be caucasion anymore or live in a state where white people are the majority. What has gone wrong with this politically correct world?

Old 08-16-2007, 04:35 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
What I am sick and tired of is Reverse Discrimination. It is almost a sin to be caucasion anymore or live in a state where white people are the majority. What has gone wrong with this politically correct world?
And that is a perfectly okay thing to feel! I too believe that political correctness has gotten out of hand. What was originally meant to be a way of preserving equality has become just another method for alienating people. Now, when someone doesn't use the newest and greatest politically correct term suddenly they are labeled insensitive or even racist, even if they aren't.
Personally, I appreciate cultural diversity because I think it really enhances our understanding of the world around us. That being said, I don't think badly of people who choose to live in areas where there isn't as much cultural diversity, just as I wouldn't want one of those people to think badly of me.
What I cannot handle is when people start believing that one skin color, one lifestyle, one belief system is better than the other. I think a feeling of superiority is what separates accidental political incorrectness from actual racism.

Last edited by Xa'at; 08-16-2007 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: to clarify

Old 08-16-2007, 05:01 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,408 times
I had posted something to the same effect at one point.

I agree wholeheartedly with the last few posts (minus the reverse racism bit, but that's another argument).

Old 08-16-2007, 05:04 PM

17 posts, read 85,579 times
Quote:
And that is a perfectly okay thing to feel! I agree, political correctness has gotten out of hand. What was originally meant to be a way of preserving equality has become just another method for alienating people. Now, when someone doesn't use the newest and greatest politically correct term suddenly they are labeled insensitive or even racist, even if they aren't.
Personally, I appreciate cultural diversity because I think it really enhances our understanding of the world around us. That being said, I don't think badly of people who choose to live in areas where there isn't as much cultural diversity, just as I wouldn't want one of those people to think badly of me.
What I cannot handle is when people start believing that one skin color, one lifestyle, one belief system is better than the other. I think a feeling of superiority is what separates accidental political incorrectness from actual racism.
Very well said, I feel the same way. Sometimes you get so caught up in being PC that you end up hating the Middle Class White American....and then you look in the mirror and realize that you ARE a Middle Class White American.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:54 AM

78 posts, read 404,357 times
Quote:
A lot of people back east or down south seem to have this idea that Idahoans are a bunch of racist white people,
As an easterner I will have to disagree. I think most of us(easterners) think that Idaho is conservative and/or libertarian state. We think Idahoans are fiercely independent and prefer no government interference.....at all. I talk to my friends(both liberal and conservative) about my possible move to Idaho, the racist "label" has never come up. The term 'militia' was raised in some conversations with some negative connotations. I believe you had a very conservative congresswoman that was reportedly militia friendly. The last sentence is from my memory which isn't always 100% accurate so I could be wrong. Just thought I would throw this out there. Charlie

Old 08-17-2007, 08:11 AM

777 posts, read 3,197,297 times
Interesting what you say balto. Here in So Cal, the knuckleheads I work with were saying stuff about the Aryan Nation, and Mark Furman (O.J. Simpson trial), skin heads etc. living in ID.
After visiting ID I had to set my co-workers straight Sure it's true that the population is mostly white, but by no means did anyone seem racist, or discriminatory. I was actually amazed at how many of my co-workers had the wrong impression.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:14 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,408 times
I've gotten those same comments regarding Idaho. The recent shootings in Moscow had loose affiliations with the Aryan Nations, and the national press picked up on that.

And our idiot Congressman Bill Sali just reaffirmed that notion of Idaho when he made disparaging comments about a Muslim senator. I'm sure that'll go a long way for Idaho p.r.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:30 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
And the lack of racism is also what we found. Not that it doesn't exist...I'm sure anywhere you have people you have problems...BUT, for its lack of racial DIVERSITY, North Idaho is one of the most "color blind" areas I have lived. Folks here are judged by if they're good neighbors more than anything...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: