U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,184 times

Advertisements

It's been a few years but I took a week to hike a small part of that area. It was an all off trail hike to find some of the remote areas. Most of the pictures you see of the area are from peaks and lakes that are close to some roads or are a day hike at best. It's rare to find anyone who has been far out there and took the time to hike to the beautiful lakes there. When we went, we never saw another person for that whole week. Upper Three Links lakes give a view that goes on forever. One of the best places I have ever been in my life is a lake out there (not listed on purpose), we were able to cast out a hook and bobber and catch fish.... with no bait on the hook. Seriously. They bit the hook. Most of the lakes have fish in them. I know of one that for some reason the huge Cutthroat in there died out. No one knows the reason they died. I believe they tried a few years back to restock some in there somehow. I am currently planning on going up again this summer with my wife to share with her the almost spiritual experience you feel way out there away from everything. I was trying to find some pictures of the area's I visited and couldn't find any. I do have pictures of my hike but I don't have a scanner to put them up here. Sorry, it was before digital. This area is one of the best areas in the USA and thankfully not a very visited one. (yes, I know i'm selfish. Can you blame me?)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 05:31 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,033,479 times
Hugh6719: That's awesome. It would be great if you could somehow post a few photos, but if you can't I understand. I believe wild fish will bite a solitary hook because it glitters and flashes in the water and they don't have experience of knowing that it's a sharp object. I hope I can make it out there some day and do exactly what you did - a week in the untouched wilderness.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:52 PM

448 posts, read 1,024,604 times
I spent 5 awesome days on horse pack trip into the Bitterroot Selway Wilderness. The views were unforgettable and the high lakes were a delight to catch and release. Not one sight of wild life was disappointing but in all a trip to be repeated again this August. Breath taking

Old 02-24-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janab View Post
I spent 5 awesome days on horse pack trip into the Bitterroot Selway Wilderness. The views were unforgettable and the high lakes were a delight to catch and release. Not one sight of wild life was disappointing but in all a trip to be repeated again this August. Breath taking

you can catch and release.
I'll catch and eat.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 AM

We can eat only so many at a meal..so the rest go back :-) for next time

Old 02-26-2012, 02:09 PM

8 posts, read 30,317 times
I've been going up to this area since I was a baby. My Dad first traveled this way in 1946. He met some of the old-timers who lived in shacks in the woods, and they told him the Forest Service started stocking some of the alpine lakes with fish decades ago. They don't stock most of them anymore, either the lakes couldn't support the influx of fish or they couldn't justify the cost for such rarely-visited lakes.

I haven't taken the MacGruder corridor in a long time, but when we were kids there were people catching dozens of fish on Poet Creek. We tend to stick to the Orogrande area, though two summers ago we risked the drive up to Wild Horse Lake. The road is no longer maintained, and it was HORRIBLE in 4x4.

Norman MacLean wrote of his time in the Forest Service in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness. It's some very interesting history, and amusing. Since reading his work, I've been wanting to visit Wetase creek. It's supposed to sound Native American, but was originally named Wet Ass Creek until some one back east renamed it.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longingtoleave509 View Post
Norman MacLean wrote of his time in the Forest Service in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness.
I didn't realize the author of A River Runs Through It had spent time there. When I was there with my friend a few years ago, I believe it was the town of Elk Summit that we saw on the map and figured it looked like a good place to drive to. We talked to a Forest Ranger to get directions, and headed out on the dirt road. After several miles, we encountered trees and boulders on the road. We couldnt' get aroudn them, so we backtracked and tried to find another way, but we couldn't find the way in the criss-crossing of the unmarked dirt roads. It didn't matter. We had a great time driving around that northern portion of the wilderness (the part near Highway 12).

Old 02-27-2012, 09:21 AM

I took this pic many years ago of Hungry Horse. We saw a lot of Elk, moose and deer. That was 10 yrs ago. Not today, no more
Here's my link I hope:

Old 02-27-2012, 04:31 PM

2,085 posts, read 3,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I didn't realize the author of A River Runs Through It had spent time there. When I was there with my friend a few years ago, I believe it was the town of Elk Summit that we saw on the map and figured it looked like a good place to drive to. We talked to a Forest Ranger to get directions, and headed out on the dirt road. After several miles, we encountered trees and boulders on the road. We couldnt' get aroudn them, so we backtracked and tried to find another way, but we couldn't find the way in the criss-crossing of the unmarked dirt roads. It didn't matter. We had a great time driving around that northern portion of the wilderness (the part near Highway 12).
You are referring to Elk River or Elk City. No towns called Elk Summit in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho