Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:49 PM

121 posts, read 737,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangjoey View Post
But, I do see the other things that you mention, so I can see your point. The funny thing is that it seems to be mostly foreigners that are that way. I don't consider myself a racist, but if I hold the door open for 10 people of different races, Asians will tend to just walk through and not say anything at all eight times out of ten. Sorry if that sounds like a generalization, but it's actually my experience.
Many Asians tend to act that way everywhere. It's a cultural thing. In public areas there is no "host" to be polite to so it's a free for all and you get the rudeness, pushing, shoving, etc. They don't do it because they're jerks (usually), it's just their culture and they don't even think about it. Americans tend to react to that type of behavior as a personal affront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 01:53 AM

7 posts, read 18,066 times
Wow, I have only three true peeves in the world and they are all concerning door etiquette! 1) When you walk through a door, look behind you and hold the door if someone else is coming in. Don’t just obliviously let it close on them. 2) If someone holds the door, thank them. Actually, you just have to smile and acknowledge. 3) When the elevator doors open, allow the people inside to exit before you rush in. If I weren’t so nice, I’d push all the buttons before I left.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:06 AM

7 posts, read 18,066 times
And yeah Racer, I feel you on the California thing. I've lived in So Cal all my life and for the last few years I feel like someone put a plastic bag over my head... I just need to get out. As a young person it's great - Beachy summers, big city nearby, center of universe feel, and everything looks like it does on TV which you think is cool. But once you grow up, if you ever do here, you realize other things - A house will break you if you can even get one, it's so crowded, there is too much crime, your kids have to grow up here and will have to learn Spanish to get by, and everything looks like it does on TV which is no longer cool. Things that should matter here don't, and vice versa.

I've been really down on Ca lately, and really am trying to be positive, but when you know, you just know.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:53 AM

45 posts, read 147,274 times
Darn right, growing up in California is just plain awesome. BUT the the reality sets in, and you become more aware of your surroundings as you get older

You can't afford a place to live near the beach unless you're living with 3 other people

People are sometime rude

And yes I'll say it again...we suck at driving.

I'm getting outta here semiok45 it took me 25 years, but I am officially OVER California.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:21 PM

140 posts, read 491,258 times
Long live the debate! Let the fur fly!!!

Old 02-16-2008, 12:41 AM

537 posts, read 1,322,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER47 View Post
The people coming from ca. that you don’t welcome there won’t last anyway. If it’s not the slower pace life, or the new “winter” experience, surely that monthly car- wash bill to get all that icky dirt off their shinny new hummer will drive them out.

Anyway, the reason im here is to find out as much as possible about hayden and hayden lake property. If there is anyone here from that area, I would really like to talk to them. Im looking for any websites or books relative to that area. Any info would help.

Thanks, Tony~
You are so right about that lol, I am betting after this winter a lot will think about what they got themselves into. I have talked to many that are headed back to CA already. It was funny to see all the hummers out the second the snow started flying.

I grew up in Hayden Lake. Beautiful area! Are you looking to live on the hill overlooking the lake, be on the lake, or in town?

I just noticed you have Spirit Lake listed at the top as well but did'nt mention it in your post. Are you looking into SL as well? Beautiful area as well! but more rural and you would have to drive a ways for work and is also in a "snow belt" , (first hand experience lol).

Last edited by Asthedeer; 02-16-2008 at 12:54 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-16-2008, 07:56 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,267 times
I hope LOTS of people leave Idaho so that there will be plenty of homes for me to choose from this time next year! In fact, I have a lovely home on an acre of horse property here in AZ they can buy if they want mild climates and dust

Old 02-16-2008, 08:04 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,261,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I hope LOTS of people leave Idaho so that there will be plenty of homes for me to choose from this time next year! In fact, I have a lovely home on an acre of horse property here in AZ they can buy if they want mild climates and dust

Slightly off topic here. I have one friend from AZ who visited another friend in OH and she complained that OH was too green Guessing she likes her dust.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:15 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,267 times
There are folks who really love the desert landscape. I live in the AZ mountains so it is more high desert, not quite as brown and yucky as down around Phoenix, but the dust is my nemesis in life. It's awful. I have tolerated it for 25 years now and I am ready for some greenery and "weather". I, too have a close friend who lives in Ohio (Dayton) and she finds the desert "interesting" but prefers her green cornfields.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:09 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,282 times
I blame East Coasters for California rudeness! lol Many old timers will agree.

Actually, it seems there is some truth to this. I find it hard to believe how many East Coast people move here and think Los Angeles folk are TOO nice and they literally will say it disgusts them. Yes, I found this confusing coming from Idaho. I don't think people are really downright rude here...just more apathetic but certainly not TOO nice. On a larger scale California was settled just like most Western communities and most real Californians are just as nice as other Westerners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho