Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 01:56 PM

159 posts, read 304,746 times

Advertisements

My family & I are planning to move to Idaho this next Spring. We really love the Bonners Ferry area, but worry that job opportunities may be hard to come by. With that in mind, we are looking at something like Sagle. Close to Sandpoint, but not too far from CDA either just in case my husband has to go that direction. My problem is that where we are now (in Kansas), the wind blows constantly & it can make a regular cold winter twice as harsh. I know there are area's in Idaho that have very little wind & others with lot's, so please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 02:56 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,796,961 times
It's not real windy here once you're away from the lake or river. A breeze is about it unless there's weather moving in.

Probably the windiest place in between would be Athol up on the Clagstone heights because it's higher and flatter than areas around. But again, 95% of Sagle isn't very windy, nor is most of Cocolalla, Careywood, Athol, etc. All these hills and trees really break up the wind.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:08 AM

Thanks Sage, I'll make sure to avoid Athol. Praise the Lord for tree's. That's one thing that makes me mad about all the farmers around here. They are constantly chopping down what few tree's Kansas has. I Love Tree's!!! I did look at property around Sagle, but noticed a lot of them have covenants. We'd love to have 4 or more acres, but don't particularly care for covenants. By the way, could you share with me any of the land rules for Bonner County? Like in the county we live in now, we can only have one home on our 5 acres & no mobiles.Not that we want any other home here, but it's still a rule. Do you know of any rules I should know of before buying land there?

Old 08-31-2011, 10:35 AM

7,340 posts, read 12,559,322 times
memonfive,
There is a fantastic sticky thread at the top with all kinds of websites and phone numbers:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...e-numbers.html

Here's where you could start:

Bonner County Website Bonner County, Idaho Information :: http://co.bonner.id.us/ 208-265-1472, and then go to this one:

Sterling Codifiers, Inc. (look at title 11, building codes, and title 12, land use)

Some places in Bonner County have covenants, others don't. We have 5 acres without any CC&Rs.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:37 PM

I would say the majority of acreage in Sagle does NOT have covenants. However, the majority of NEW subdivisions (5 acre parcels split from a 75-150 acre plot) do tend to have some CC&Rs. The general land use rule is one primary dwelling per 5 acres. If you want to put a "mother-in-law" house on the property, I believe the limit is 750sf (but I could be off) and it cannot have a range oven (weird rule). If you have 10 acres, you can build 2 houses of any size (but I think they must be positioned so the land COULD be divided in the future into two lots if you do that).

Old 08-31-2011, 01:38 PM

Oh, and don't avoid Athol because of wind on Clagstone heights area. If you go east of Silverwood up into the hills there are some gorgeous properties, heavily wooded with creeks running through...

Old 08-31-2011, 06:15 PM

Thanks Clark, I will check those links out. And thank you Sage, you have been a great help. The East side of Silverwood sounds gorgeous! Since we may at one time have family living near/with we may need 10 acres. Too many up in the air decisions right now to know for sure.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:20 PM

I do know that we would like at least 4acres, with a water source within at least a few miles for my four sons & husband to enjoy some fishing, an area for gardening, a space for a shop, & possibly room for chickens. Tree's are a must with perhaps enough clearing to see the mountains. I'm not asking too much, am I?

Old 08-31-2011, 07:44 PM

39,792 posts, read 26,279,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memomfive View Post
I do know that we would like at least 4acres, with a water source within at least a few miles for my four sons & husband to enjoy some fishing, an area for gardening, a space for a shop, & possibly room for chickens. Tree's are a must with perhaps enough clearing to see the mountains. I'm not asking too much, am I?
If possible, look for 6 acres or more. You can get a timber (or agricultural, I believe) exemption for 5 acres or more. However, if you have a building site, it counts as one acre. Hence 6 or more total. Property taxes are significantly lower on land with such an exepmtion.

And most of N. Idaho will meet your requirements. Plenty of timbered land, and lots of waterways. Affordable...that's another story, but is all relative to what you are comparing it with.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:53 PM

Sounds good. We'll look for about 6 acres or more. So far prices haven't been too high in too many area's. Of Course I've had to dig deep to find the reasonable priced properties. My only concern is to how my husbands income may change. We don't want to get locked into something too costly if we can't afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho