Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I was just watching Dante's Peak yesterday (just flicking channels), and you probably already know that it was filmed in Wallace, but I'd forgotten how much it showcases the town! If you want to get an impression of Wallace, and even the mountains around Wallace, watch the movie. Not counting the BIG VOLCANO, of course! That's matted in. The footage from atop the volcano is from somewhere in the Cascades. But I'm fairly sure the trails and the valley views are from around Wallace. One fun factoid: They neglected to remove/block a Wallace sign. When the camera pans down toward the crowd at the town meeting in the beginning of the movie you can clearly see a big sign on a store saying Wallace somethingorother, maybe it is a hardware store?

Oh, in case you start worrying: when the poor town of Dante's Peak is torn apart by the volcanic eruption...well...that's Hollywood!
You know, I had never watched "Dante's Peak" until after our first trip to Wallace in September 2011. My wife had seen it, and she was saying, "This town really looks familiar; I think I saw it in a movie one time!" Once we identified the movie as "Dante's Peak" it was a lot of fun watching Pierce Brosnan and the other cast members and seeing the now-familiar Wallace landmarks, which definitely don't include the huge Hollywood-created peak sticking way up, Mount Shasta-style over the other hills and mountains there. On the DVD, it was amazing to find out just how the movie producers prepared much of the town of Wallace prior to filming, spraying all kinds of stuff to make it look like volcanic ash, and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Wallace is a great little town, and one area I would consider moving to when I retire. We frequently spend weekends there, they have some of the best ATV/dirt bike riding access in the country. The whole town is very pro-OHV recreation, ATVs, bikes and snowmobiles (I believe) are all encouraged on city streets. It's kinda fun when there is a rally or club ride, much of the main street parking is lines of quads.
While some of this is not what I'd directly engage in, I do love to hike, and went on the trail south of town that leads up to the Pulaski Tunnel. Depot Day this past May was great too, with all of the classic cars including a '59 Edsel in great condition. We haven't yet been to the Huckleberry Festival that takes place each August, but we're hoping to make it up there in 2014 to take part in it. Ditto the Route of the Hiawatha east of town, also at the top of our to-do list! Yep, I can still see ourselves retiring up in Wallace or nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho