Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:17 AM

95 posts, read 228,464 times

Advertisements

I'm still dreaming of relocating to Idaho.

What cities are considered Northern Idaho? I've been reading many posts, and someone mentioned that Idaho Falls was more like a desert area? After having lived waaaaay tooo many years in the Inland Empire (read, HOT) area, I don't want to move in find myself someplace that is too hot (over 100+) in the summer.

I've been considering and researching the Pocatello area... but should I be refocusing up near Sandpoint area?

I'm looking to retire and would like an affordable (low cost) area, and maybe have a large lot, or 1/2 acre or so. Any suggestions?

After posting, and continued searching, I found this map site: http://www.visitidaho.org/maps/
and it shows how they divide the state. I found if i printed page 3 of each of the areas, I had maps that I found helpful.

Last edited by skittles2u; 10-18-2011 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 01:09 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
I've heard some say anything Coeur d'alene and north is North Idaho. I consider anything north of Lewiston to be North Idaho.

My break down:
Canada to Genesee=North Idaho
Lewiston to the Boise county line=Central Idaho
Boise and south=Southern Idaho

Old 10-19-2011, 03:01 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Lewiston is the southern end of all the high school and club sports in "the North"...it's as far as we're willing to travel in a day RT for an away game. IMO Lewiston is the south end of "The North".

Old 10-19-2011, 07:23 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
IMO Lewiston is the south end of "The North".
Yeah, and OP should probably not look there considering it's very hot in the summer and kinda desert-like.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:59 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yeah, and OP should probably not look there considering it's very hot in the summer and kinda desert-like.
Absolutely correct.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:17 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles2u View Post
I'm still dreaming of relocating to Idaho.

What cities are considered Northern Idaho? I've been reading many posts, and someone mentioned that Idaho Falls was more like a desert area? After having lived waaaaay tooo many years in the Inland Empire (read, HOT) area, I don't want to move in find myself someplace that is too hot (over 100+) in the summer.

I've been considering and researching the Pocatello area... but should I be refocusing up near Sandpoint area?

I'm looking to retire and would like an affordable (low cost) area, and maybe have a large lot, or 1/2 acre or so. Any suggestions?

After posting, and continued searching, I found this map site: Maps
and it shows how they divide the state. I found if i printed page 3 of each of the areas, I had maps that I found helpful.
Skittles, tell us more about what you want: trees? Open vistas? Easy access to water? Mountain views? Access to shopping? Access to airport? How much snow can you stand? And it sounds as if you'd like to be in a town (because it's only in towns that 1/2 acre would be called a "large lot"! ). So give us some more details, and we'll inundate you with fabulous suggestions!

Old 10-19-2011, 12:22 PM

95 posts, read 228,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Skittles, tell us more about what you want: trees? Open vistas? Easy access to water? Mountain views? Access to shopping? Access to airport? How much snow can you stand? And it sounds as if you'd like to be in a town (because it's only in towns that 1/2 acre would be called a "large lot"! ). So give us some more details, and we'll inundate you with fabulous suggestions!
My biggest concern is I want somewhere with cooler summers. I'm not a mall-type shopper, nor am I big on nightlife or entertainment.

I've lived on 1/2 acre before and loved being able to have the space, I would love to try gardening (its been too hot and with working was not able to have my garden survive the heat) or found pleasure in gardening in 100+ heat.

Due to the heat, I'm not one that has enjoyed the outdoors, but if its comfortable that could change. I like water areas, but in Calif the traffic is horrific to get to the beach (and it was an easy 75+ miles one way), and I've enjoyed the mountains when I've been able to get there I lived in Wrightwood, CA for one winter and loved it.

When it snows, I would just stay home and not worry about having somewhere to go. It would be nice if there was a VA facility within 30 miles or so, since my partner gets medical through them.

I'm a crafty type of person, not sure if I've given you enough insight into what I like, just want a low-key place to live that I'd enjoy sitting outside in during the summer.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:44 PM

571 posts, read 1,172,626 times
Sounds to me like you should focus your search on either the Coeur d' Alene or Sandpoint areas. When it comes to 'North Idaho', those are the only two decent sized towns other than Lewiston. In summary:

Lewiston: Access to water (Clearwater and Snake rivers have their confluence there), desert-like / brown / hot in summer but mild(ish) winters

Coeur d' Alene: Access to water (Lake Coeur d' Alene), very nice summer weather, snowier in winter, 30 min drive to Spokane if you care to have access to a larger city/airport etc.

Sandpoint: Best water access in my opinion, Lake Pend Oreille is spectacular. Summer and winter weather is similar to Coeur d' Alene. It's a super cute and nice town, but quite small. That might be just what you're looking for though

You could probably find an older home on a 1/2 acre lot in any of these places; newer homes are in more densely packed subdivisions. CDA/Sandpoint are probably a bit more expensive than Lewiston.

Good luck on your search!

Old 10-19-2011, 02:43 PM

84 posts, read 233,716 times
You guys should come live in El Paso for a few weeks in August...

it got down to 65 degrees this morning, so we had to wear jackets.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:43 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
When it comes to 'North Idaho', those are the only two decent sized towns other than Lewiston.
Moscow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho