Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:23 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,880 times

Advertisements

Don't you think racism is in all cultures anymore. There are very rich black people in America. I can take you to many places in Calif. were the whites live just as poor as the blacks. In trailer parks they can't afford shoes for their children and live on welfare. As far as I'm concerned welfare has become a lifestyle and people chose to not move forward. I have seen personally the abuse of the welfare system even from relatives in my own family and I have never used the system and have always got out there and found a job and supported myself and now being married we do it together without the help of the government. My brother lived in Mississippi for 3 years and didn't even have an inside bathroom they used an out house. They lived among the blacks and he said it just poor folks trying to get by. I just find it strange that people look into our world and see only poor black and Hispanic and never see the poor white people. I guess people figure you got it better because your white this is not true.
People are always grouping whites with the KKK if they say something racist but, the leader of the black panthers was on TV the other day and called for all whites to be wiped off the earth . Wheres the outrage on this if a white guy was on TV for saying this we would never hear the end.
We just need to learn to have respect for each other and stop thinking one color is better then the other.

Look at Oprah richest black person and a women. Look at all the black basketball and football players. There was a Katrina victim that was a black 16 year old male moved to Florida and they saw that he was a great football player and he is going places. Just have to get up off your ass and make something of yourself and stop complaining about the white man or the black man bringing you down.

There was a black man on a talk show show the other day mad because he went for an interview for a job and swore he wasn't hired for being black not thinking maybe he wasn't experienced enough. My husband has not gotten jobs because his hair was to long. He runs construction sites he's a foreman for a big company and some of the guys (rednecks) won't give him the time of day because they think his a hippie he can't stand to be called a hippie.

People judge by what their used to and how they were brought up.
I just feel we go around complaining about what everyone as done to keep us down when most of the time its your own self keeping you down.

We have a black business man in town and his wife is white she has been mother of the year in Idaho for the last 10 years they have 4 wonderful children and he or she don't walk around with a chip on their shoulder and the community cares for them and he is looked at as no different then the rest of us. It's all in the way you carry yourself. If you want respect you must dish out respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 11:31 AM

278 posts, read 1,138,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
What delightful words to read...

I remember that story but I didn't connect the dots to the Hayden compound.

In spite of the headquarters being obliterated, that doesn't mean that there wouldn't be a sizable smattering of neo-Nazi sympathizers still lingering in the region, eh? It's just intuitively reasonable to think that such a predominantly white area would be attractive to people who want to be around white people exclusively. Hence, my guess is that there's a fair amount of racism even if it's not as overt as it used to be. If I'm wrong, then that's great!
the problem with any area with people like this is you remove the leaders and the out spoken ones and things end or slow down but the idealism of some people will remain and show there ugliness now and then but not as open as before . This is also why I laugh when any ones says by removing the compound the idolism is also removed to me it is wishful thinking. It just is not as open any more out of fear but it still is a live and well in some folks as it is not only a belief but a way of life to them.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:29 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
I never thought I'd see the day when it matters whether a town is liberal, conservative, far left, turn right.... Our country is more than just divided, It's chopped into little pieces. This is what will make America fail.

Paid for by the-
Johnny Quest for President campaign.
Amen to that. I've begun to see more and more of these types of posts (no offense to the poster) and the country is becoming so polarized it IS going to destroy us. Look, I'm fairly conservative, with conservative values (anti-abortion, etc.), but some of my most dear friends are so far left of me it is unbelievable. Deep down, we have always been different in our views, but I think these viewpoints are being exploited by those who wish to rise to power, and at our expense. In a sense, we are being pitted against each other when we really should just try and understand one another. Don't let the bullies and instigators win, not all conservative are bad and neither are all liberals. We all usually want the same result, but just choose a different method on getting there.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:56 PM

291 posts, read 710,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
In spite of the headquarters being obliterated, that doesn't mean that there wouldn't be a sizable smattering of neo-Nazi sympathizers still lingering in the region, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntman58 View Post
the problem with any area with people like this is you remove the leaders and the out spoken ones and things end or slow down but the idealism of some people will remain and show there ugliness now and then but not as open as before . This is also why I laugh when any ones says by removing the compound the idolism is also removed to me it is wishful thinking. It just is not as open any more out of fear but it still is a live and well in some folks as it is not only a belief but a way of life to them.
No, quite emphatically the contrary. Thousands of Idahoans organized themselves into the Kootenai County Human Rights Task Force, marched on the streets of Coeur d'Alene, emphatically demonstrating that such views have no sympathy here. Homes and businesses throughout the area displayed posters supporting inclusion and denouncing prejudice. No place in this country has displayed such a massive groundswell of public unaminity against racism as North Idaho.
The few dozen Aryan Nations wackos, now long gone, were never indigenous to Idaho, they were all from out of state, and they all feld out of state. They were never part of Idaho, nor welcome in Idaho.

There is an entire thread in the General U.S. forum about the issue of people who post misconceptions about communities they have never once even visited. I can now see why.

p.s. to Huntsman, Good News! The nationwide shortage of punctuation marks is over! You may now use all the periods, commas and semicolons you need, and for free! Confusing subordinate clauses and run-on sentences can now become a thing of the past. Your beleaguered readers shall be grateful indeed.

Last edited by RodFarlee; 12-22-2006 at 05:18 PM..

Old 12-25-2006, 08:28 AM

106 posts, read 583,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
Agreeing with deeptrance, Couer d'Alene has traditionally been a more liberal, forward thinking community. Moscow might also be right up there, as it is a college town, and professors/students tend to have a bigger world view than some? Just my two-cents worth, from 40+ years observation and love of North Idaho in general.
It's no wonder we have deep divisions in this country... While I think it was an innocent comment, if people think that only liberals are "forward thinking" then there is no hope... Why do people say things like this? I don't think any persuasion is any more open-minded than any other. Liberals hate anything associated with conservativism and vice versa.

Old 12-25-2006, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Don't you think racism is in all cultures anymore. There are very rich black people in America. I can take you to many places in Calif. were the whites live just as poor as the blacks. In trailer parks they can't afford shoes for their children and live on welfare. As far as I'm concerned welfare has become a lifestyle and people chose to not move forward. I have seen personally the abuse of the welfare system even from relatives in my own family and I have never used the system and have always got out there and found a job and supported myself and now being married we do it together without the help of the government. My brother lived in Mississippi for 3 years and didn't even have an inside bathroom they used an out house. They lived among the blacks and he said it just poor folks trying to get by. I just find it strange that people look into our world and see only poor black and Hispanic and never see the poor white people. I guess people figure you got it better because your white this is not true.
People are always grouping whites with the KKK if they say something racist but, the leader of the black panthers was on TV the other day and called for all whites to be wiped off the earth . Wheres the outrage on this if a white guy was on TV for saying this we would never hear the end.
We just need to learn to have respect for each other and stop thinking one color is better then the other.

Look at Oprah richest black person and a women. Look at all the black basketball and football players. There was a Katrina victim that was a black 16 year old male moved to Florida and they saw that he was a great football player and he is going places. Just have to get up off your ass and make something of yourself and stop complaining about the white man or the black man bringing you down.

There was a black man on a talk show show the other day mad because he went for an interview for a job and swore he wasn't hired for being black not thinking maybe he wasn't experienced enough. My husband has not gotten jobs because his hair was to long. He runs construction sites he's a foreman for a big company and some of the guys (rednecks) won't give him the time of day because they think his a hippie he can't stand to be called a hippie.

People judge by what their used to and how they were brought up.
I just feel we go around complaining about what everyone as done to keep us down when most of the time its your own self keeping you down.

We have a black business man in town and his wife is white she has been mother of the year in Idaho for the last 10 years they have 4 wonderful children and he or she don't walk around with a chip on their shoulder and the community cares for them and he is looked at as no different then the rest of us. It's all in the way you carry yourself. If you want respect you must dish out respect.
Come on Wild you are making too much sense!

If I might make one comment... Please don't take this the wrong way, but your husband is really putting himself at a disadvantage. I know you know this. I realize he probably was very nice, very polite and so forth, i.e. respectful, but having long hair just does not cut it in the working world. Might find someone who will hire him but he is clearly putting himself at a disadvantage. The convention is for men to have shorter hair. Just like showing tattoos all over the body, long hair is just one of those things that's just taboo when it comes to getting a job. It's not just a conservative thing either... (although 60% of men are conservative)

I'm an employer and when someone interviews with me, it doesn't matter how nice they are or how good they are for the job, if they are not dressed appropriately, they don't get the job. It shows me that there is something lacking. Sometimes I find it disrespectful depending on what they look like. In other words, do not waste my time because you didn't show up looking appropriate.

Maybe your husband needs to up the respect bar from 9 to 10? But I guess if he doesn't care to work for these companies that are run by so-called rednecks, then it doesn't matter...

Kind of hard to fight popular conventions...

Again... Great comments...

Old 12-25-2006, 03:57 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,880 times
Default What it takes to fit in!!

There was a lot to type about. He did cut his hair before we moved to Idaho we run a small business and you do whatever it takes to put food on the table. But,by cutting his hair did not change who he is. He wore short hair for 2 years and got to know the people in the area and grew it back.
He still has the same talent and ability to get the job done and always wears his hair tied back. The long hair really wasn't the issue they judged him by the longhair his ability to run a business having the brains for it.
Appearance does have a lot to do with getting a job but, if your hair is tied back and not getting in the way of your work then so be it. Heck, now the look seems to be don't comb your hair at all. We do hiring also,we at least give the guy a chance to come back and try again, if they show back up the next day with a change then, they wanted the job.
Thanks for your comment proeye thank goodness we are way past that now. He has put in enough proving himself they see he can have longhair and a brain too.

Old 12-25-2006, 04:22 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
There was a lot to type about. He did cut his hair before we moved to Idaho we run a small business and you do whatever it takes to put food on the table. But,by cutting his hair did not change who he is. He wore short hair for 2 years and got to know the people in the area and grew it back.
He still has the same talent and ability to get the job done and always wears his hair tied back. The long hair really wasn't the issue they judged him by the longhair his ability to run a business having the brains for it.
Appearance does have a lot to do with getting a job but, if your hair is tied back and not getting in the way of your work then so be it. Heck, now the look seems to be don't comb your hair at all. We do hiring also,we at least give the guy a chance to come back and try again, if they show back up the next day with a change then, they wanted the job.
Thanks for your comment proeye thank goodness we are way past that now. He has put in enough proving himself they see he can have longhair and a brain too.
Ironic these hair comments being posted today. I guess if Jesus were job-hunting these days he'd be in trouble

Old 12-25-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Ironic these hair comments being posted today. I guess if Jesus were job-hunting these days he'd be in trouble
Nothing wrong with long hair. I'm only saying that there is a convention NOWADAYS and if you buck the conventions then you pay the price. Unfortunately, as much as you think we should all live in a wonderful idealic society, the world is not like this. Gotta do what you gotta do...

Old 12-30-2006, 08:47 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,476 times
p.s. to Huntsman, Good News! The nationwide shortage of punctuation marks is over! You may now use all the periods, commas and semicolons you need, and for free! Confusing subordinate clauses and run-on sentences can now become a thing of the past. Your beleaguered readers shall be grateful indeed.[/quote]

Aw a nit picker and personal attacker how sweat. Just go's to show the intolerance of some. Say one thing act out another. hmm kind of reminds me of some one saying there not racist or judgmental but then acts deferent and show there true colors. Thank you for showing yours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho