Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 12:33 PM

318 posts, read 1,317,207 times

Advertisements

Hi Huntman58,

I know, I saw his post on punctuation...my step father use to correct my spoken english. I come from a Okie background. Lots of slang

But I always thought, and still do, that folks who correct others are rude and showing their not so classy side.

There are those truly classy people that don't put on airs and feel comfortable around others of different backgrounds, and different social\educational backgrounds.

I met a man once that really impressed me. He was an older guy...wearing a plaid shirt and overalls. We went to his home to do some work on his boat. Turns out this soft spoken, down to earth person lived in what most of us would call a mansion on a lake. I felt very comfortable around him and thought what a classy guy.

Those that correct others are usually putting on airs. Picking at others differences. Those are the ones trying to prove they are educated and classy.

There is a difference...I prefer the guy in overalls and plaid shirt.

Izzy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 01:13 PM

106 posts, read 583,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntman58 View Post
p.s. to Huntsman, Good News! The nationwide shortage of punctuation marks is over! You may now use all the periods, commas and semicolons you need, and for free! Confusing subordinate clauses and run-on sentences can now become a thing of the past. Your beleaguered readers shall be grateful indeed.

Aw a nit picker and personal attacker how sweat. Just go's to show the intolerance of some. Say one thing act out another. hmm kind of reminds me of some one saying there not racist or judgmental but then acts deferent and show there true colors. Thank you for showing yours
I don't think it is nitpicking at all. We have all kinds of spell and grammar checkers at our disposal. I see no reason why you can't take the extra effort to put in proper punctuation and at least attempt to spell things correctly. It makes it rather difficult to figure out what your point is and it borders on rudeness since it isn't much different than me eating and talking at the same time. I think it is your responsibility to see that YOU make yourself clear and understandable for your readers...

I don't normally mind spelling and grammatical errors but when you get a reply that says, "I don't give a rat's behind about cleaning up my act", then I think it's wrong.

Just FYI... I don't know you from anyone so I'm not picking on you personally... It's what you said.

At least the poster tried to make it humorous...

Old 01-01-2007, 07:54 PM

318 posts, read 1,317,207 times
Proeye,

Your standards are just that...YOUR STANDARDS. Most of us are here for a friendly chat. Not to prove anything to you, or anyone else. We come from different backgrounds and our interest are all different.

Your focus on the written word, and how others use it, will turn others off to having chats with you. They might make a mistake and you will point it out. Most of the folks I know who correct others, and in public no less, are trying to prove something to others. Something to do...with putting on airs and showing off their education...or what their social status is. I avoid these folks like the plague. Sorry, did I spell that wrong?

Well I'm done with this chat topic. Catch you later and hope I didn't offend.

Izzy

Old 01-01-2007, 09:05 PM

291 posts, read 710,523 times
Izzy, you certainly didn't offend! Your postings set a fine example for others. There are two key things you do:

- You're here to be helpful to others.

- You make an effort to communicate thoughtfully and clearly.

This is widely recognized and sincerely appreciated.

You're not here because of something that happened in your personal life years ago, could have happened anywhere, but since it happened in Idaho, bear a grudge and are here only to spit out your resentment of the entire state. In short, you're not a troll.

Izzy, you're a good citizen. We can but wish that all were. On occasion, it may be helpful to ask those who clearly don't follow your good example to at least make an effort? Or at least don't encourage him!

Old 01-03-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
Proeye,

Your standards are just that...YOUR STANDARDS. Most of us are here for a friendly chat. Not to prove anything to you, or anyone else. We come from different backgrounds and our interest are all different.

Your focus on the written word, and how others use it, will turn others off to having chats with you. They might make a mistake and you will point it out. Most of the folks I know who correct others, and in public no less, are trying to prove something to others. Something to do...with putting on airs and showing off their education...or what their social status is. I avoid these folks like the plague. Sorry, did I spell that wrong?

Well I'm done with this chat topic. Catch you later and hope I didn't offend.

Izzy

Just to clarify... I said I don't normally say these things because I make tons of mistakes myself. It's what he said. Might be that "intolerance" word. That's just a code for "I'm intolerant myself". Don't come across saying that "I'm not ever going to change and I don't care what you say" is wrong. Sheesh... Take a hint for what it's worth...

I've already said it but I'll say it again... I make plenty of mistakes so I'm not one to correct people, so it has nothing to do with standards.

Just take some kind advice: Use a spell checker to help yourself!!!

Old 01-06-2007, 06:58 PM

9 posts, read 36,828 times
Default Unhappy in Rexbug

I was also looking for this information consdering, well, I'm unhappy in Rexburg and one of those reasons is because I'm somewhat forward thinking. I'm a moderate Democrat and my dad is a conservative but even he thinks people in Rexburg are really ignorant. I really hate extremes in either direction. Not being Mormon has been a HUGE issue here and being somewhat liberal is even worse. I'm probably going to have to move to Boise and I want to know if this is a problem everywhere. I grew up with all cultures and political backgrounds and we all got along so is this a Rexburg thing or is it all of the state?

If you vote differently than them, they don't like you and they are so nice until you won't convert. I never want to live in a place where LDS is a powerful force like it is out here. There are nice LDS families but I feel persecuted on my job. Sad when they blow their mouths off and insult everything you believe in but when you defend yourself, you're the bad guy. Maybe its the job I work, who knows? But if this is Idaho, I can't say I want to live here which sucks since its such a beautiful place and my family and I were looking for something better.

If I care for the environment and gay people, will I be a social pariah? If I admit to being more liberal, will I have to put up with this same crap? Do I have to lie and pretend to be something I'm not? Are there at least people that are different in Boise in appearance? Even if they are a minority, anything is better than living in a town like this. Is there a music, coffee shop, art scene be it small?

I also wanted to add that I've met a handful of great people so I'm not bashing everyone.

Last edited by UnhappyinRexburg; 01-06-2007 at 07:30 PM..

Old 01-07-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnhappyinRexburg View Post
I was also looking for this information consdering, well, I'm unhappy in Rexburg and one of those reasons is because I'm somewhat forward thinking. I'm a moderate Democrat and my dad is a conservative but even he thinks people in Rexburg are really ignorant.

I also wanted to add that I've met a handful of great people so I'm not bashing everyone.
Birds of a feather right? Don't you think it's hard to have a conversation with someone who believes in the exact opposite of what you believe?

If you feel very strongly about making change, then the only thing you can control is yourself. So you might want to make the change. There is no sense in fighting for social change because you know as well as I do that's not going to happen.

Have you actually thought about moving? Surely this thread has sparked some interest in other communities... Probably should move to Idaho Falls at least, where there are more open-minded people. I don't think ignorant is the right word--that's a very harsh word that tends to mean stupid. I don't think Rexburg people are necessarily stupid, they are just really unaware of the rest of the world. Not making generalities here since there is a college there that attracts people from all over this and other countries so it's not like the entire community is unaware of the rest of the world. You're referring to the natives and small towns tend to believe only in themselves.

Idaho Falls has a lot of engineers and scientists from all over the country. You may even want to move to Boise since there are a lot of people moving in from everywhere.

Don't give up, get moving!

Old 01-07-2007, 11:22 AM

Until I came here, I was always able to get along with people from all religions, political leanings, cultures. I never had problem finding middle ground until Rexburg. Like I said, I have met some people from the college that hate it here as much as I do and will call the people here backwards. It is very backwards here. I've dealt with weird accusations, trying to goad me into arguments for stupid things, trying to make something negative of things I like. I can't explain it and I don't want someone from Rexburg recognizing a conversation and knowing who I am.Also wanted to add that there are nice people in Rexburg. I just think maybe I had the misfortune of being put in a situation where I met the worst of them.

And yes, I plan to move as soon as possible. Unfortunately that takes time. I've read some about I.F. and it sounds like a much better place to live. Its something I'm considering along with Pocatello.

I just want to live where you can peacefully co-exist with others.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:56 AM

291 posts, read 710,523 times
Default Surprise: Rexsburg in the "liberal towns" thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnhappyinRexburg View Post
Like I said, I have met some people from the college that hate it here as much as I do and will call the people here backwards. ...is this a Rexburg thing or is it all of the state?
It's interesting to hear any diversity of comment from Ricks College (ok, BYU ID as they now call it), as it is of course a narrow, self-selected group that choose to work or attend there. But no, that's not all of the state! Rexsburg ID and Brigham City UT are the centers of that universe. Anyplace else that you go, be it Pocatello, Salt Lake, Boise or further, will be more diverse in all regards! (Idaho Falls might not be far enough...)

By the way, how did a liberal Democrat end up in Rexsburg? I thought they had zoning laws against that!
I'm guessing it's your home town, and you've not lived elsewhere?
I second proeye, get moving! Start with a road trip. Best wishes.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:22 PM

And its kind of funny my dad, a Republican, says Rexburg is way too conservative for him. Its funny to actually hear my dad say that. He talks about moving all the time. It was surprising to find a few of the young that weren't closed-minded. Of course, they feel like they have to hide it but when away from the college, they complain all the time.

Its a long story on how I ended up here. If I told it, someone might recognize me. Sad that one has to feel so paranoid. Needless to say, circumstance brought us here, misery will bring us out.

I'm glad to hear there isn't such a heavy influence all over the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho