U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:14 AM

6 posts, read 10,610 times
Default Yes, I hear Viggo has a ranch there, but . . . . . .

the town of Clark Fork, if you want to call it that, is quite small and run-down-looking. Viggo is out there for the solitude and his place is way up in the hills, not in the run-down town and nearby area. just my opinion, don't mean to insult local Clark Fork folks, just trying to be helpful to people who have no idea about the area, and it definitely is not a place to look for homes, at least not in the immediate area. There are some outlying areas if you want to be alone, but CF is just NOT a happenin' city. Sorry, again, my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:37 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,086,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestpeach View Post
the town of Clark Fork, if you want to call it that, is quite small and run-down-looking. Viggo is out there for the solitude and his place is way up in the hills, not in the run-down town and nearby area. just my opinion, don't mean to insult local Clark Fork folks, just trying to be helpful to people who have no idea about the area, and it definitely is not a place to look for homes, at least not in the immediate area. There are some outlying areas if you want to be alone, but CF is just NOT a happenin' city. Sorry, again, my opinion.
Why in the world would anyone expect Clark Fork, Idaho to be a happen' city?
I thought most people came here for the beauty and experience of the incredible north Idaho mountains and water. Clark Fork is everything I would expect and hope for in a tiny northern Idaho town. I love it.

There's just something terrific about a place who's school mascot is the Clark Fork Wampus Cats.

Sounds like someplace like Aspen might be a better bet for you.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestpeach View Post
I thought most people came here for the beauty and experience of the incredible north Idaho mountains and water. Clark Fork is everything I would expect and hope for in a tiny northern Idaho town. I love it.

There's just something terrific about a place where the school mascot is the Clark Fork Wampus Cats.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:30 PM

2,147 posts, read 2,242,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post

There's just something terrific about a place where the school mascot is the Clark Fork Wampus Cats.

As a neutral observer, just researching info, I'm quite sure this person's reply [to which you replied] was intended to ocompare clark fork to sandpoint, in terms of resources/amenities/lifestyle. And to answer your question: some people do move to sandpoint and northern idaho for a combination of mountains, water AND lifestyle amenities. This rural/local vs. newcomer chasm is the one thing that dissuades me from N. ID, but I keep reading threads anyway, b/c I love the area! Anyway, that 'happening city', I took as tongue in cheek a bit, just to give the OP an idea of what to expect. Sometimes, outlying towns will grow and change and develop similar amenities to the 'hot spot town'-such as sandpoint. Call it bedroom community, if you will. And the way I interpreted these replies, is that no, clark fork, has not changed in this way. Which may be perfect for some people, incuding those who call clark fork home. But would not be perfect for those looking for some similarities to sandpoint.

Last edited by lrmsd; 04-23-2012 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-23-2012, 02:39 PM

9,601 posts, read 3,310,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Yes, Viggo has a ranch in Clark Fork. How much time he spends there, I don't know. Sandpoint Magazine Winter 2005 had an interview with him.
The stars have the money to come and go not tied to one place. It also gives the real estate agents something to talk about to draw their prospects in.

They did this heavily in the Valley County area back in the 90's and so far I'm waiting to see Clint Eastwood, Henry Winkler, Don Johnson & Kevin Costner to name a few. Although many visit the Si Bueno's when they fly in to McCall.

I've yet to hear they've been seen in town. When Tamarack was being built Julia Roberts, President Bush, Shaun White and Shaquille O'Neil, came to visit the resort and people got to meet them. From what people said Julia Roberts and Shaun White are not very friendly.

As for a lot of young people small Idaho towns are all considered "hillbilly"

Although I like Kooskia that town gets my hillbilly vote!! Nice people and bar when it's open that is.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:27 PM

Viggo Mortensen is seen around fairly frequently and my husband was introduced to him several years ago at a business we frequent in Sandpoint. My husband didn't even know who he was but said he was very nice and quite friendly. Not at all like a celebrity...very soft-spoken.

He came home and asked if I knew someone named Biggo who was in the movies.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:34 PM

2,741 posts, read 5,764,403 times
And I hate to break it to y'all...but Viggo isn't known for being a friendly guy either. He's got a rep for being a typical hollywood type...rather full of himself. We know a few different folks (reasonable folks) who have had negative interactions with him in town. Maybe he was having bad days each time. You never know.

Our super friendly man-about-town is Ben Stein...everyone loves him here. The sort of guy who remembers your name and asks about your family (remembered my daughters' names a year later). People here feel like he's one of us.

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***

Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 PM

2,741 posts, read 5,764,403 times
Interesting that MRR has a very different perspective...so obviously Viggo has acted very differently toward different groups of people here in town...and different groups of people have formed different opinions of him as a celebrity....good to hear that he's viewed positively by some folks though...

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***

Old 04-23-2012, 03:45 PM

I agree with you Sage, Ben Stein is always very friendly and very nice. He has a house up here at Priest Lake so he's pretty frequently seen and he always has a smile for everyone. He just seems so happy to be here.

My daughter worked at Hill's during the summer when she was in high school and she has said that Ben Stein was one of the nicest customers ever.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 PM

3,646 posts, read 4,029,882 times
Wow, somehow Clark Fork and Viggo have ended up being hot-button issues here! I don't think I, or anyone, in this thread ever claimed that CF was a scintillating center of sophistication...I like it the way it is: a great bakery, 2-3 eateries, a gun shop, two gas stations, a library, a small market, a high school, and hiking trails galore up into the Cabinets as well as the Coeur d'Alenes/Green Monarchs. I don't think anyone chooses CF for its architectural standards or its night life! Although there are beautiful homes along the river. The main drag is just small-town NW, not a Wallace. But just south of there is the bridge over the river, and standing on that bridge at sunset (or any time) is one of the most profound experiences of natural beauty in the entire NW...but if one wants a hopping place, CF shouldn't be on one's radar! (And yes, NWPeach, CF is a "very small town" according to CDF! It's got a City Hall! A little building on a side street )

As for Viggo, we haven't met him, and aren't really making any plans for it happening . I have no idea if he is friendly or stuck-up, I just like his screen presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho