U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 08:11 PM

3,263 posts, read 4,303,320 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

I'll try not to ramble and get to the point.

Are properties as expensive in Idaho as they are in Montana?

Do you have to drive miles and miles to get to things in Idaho, like you do in Montana?

Has the bursting of the housing "bubble" brought properties back down in Idaho? It doesn't seem to have had much effect on Montana. Housing and land there are still ridiculous, considering the lack of jobs to pay those prices.

We lived in Montana for a few years when my kids were in junior high and high school. We are now back in North Carolina, and my kids absolutely hate it. They are now 18 and 21. They want to relocate back "out west". There are reasons I'm thinking lately that might not be such a bad idea.

My main complaints about Montana were that it was too spread out and "secluded", and that the best I could afford out there was to purchase a mobile home and live on a rented lot. I hated not owning my own property, as I do here in North Carolina, where property is much cheaper. But, its a trade off, definitely, and, it's not all about me. I have good credit, but work in banking; the income is not very high.

Where are the less expensive areas of Idaho? My experience with Idaho while out there was was a very brief trip to Coeur de'lane to pick up my car that I had shipped out there ahead of my move to Montana (they wouldn't drop it in Montana). That was in 2006, at the height of the housing bubble. Just wondered what the situation is now in Idaho in general with housing and employment; not necessarily specific to Coeur de'lane.

I appreciate any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 09:32 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,731,129 times
Housing is still quite reasonable in Idaho, chances are south east and south central will be less than some areas of the panhandle and the Boise area.

Now the employment factor is another story. You want to make certain that you're employed before arriving here.

We have areas where you can be farther out if you choose or you can be on the edge of town so you're not too far, yet not in the thrust of things.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:52 PM

443 posts, read 470,517 times
Looking at whats available to me sales wise in housing in both states, it looks like Idaho is a bit more of a bargin, but on the flip side, we have sales tax to consider.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:09 PM

Well, from my own personal experience, what Montana does not get from you in sales tax, it more than makes up for in issuing traffic tickets.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:00 PM

3,682 posts, read 4,166,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Well, from my own personal experience, what Montana does not get from you in sales tax, it more than makes up for in issuing traffic tickets.
Haha...I have personal experience in the same general area!

I still check property prices in the border area of NID/NW MT once in a while, and Idaho property values have come down more than similar properties in MT--which, before the economic crisis, were also more expensive in MT. As for the "remoteness" factor, remember that Idaho is a long state with huge areas of wilderness, but that being said, I find the distance between small towns to be much more manageable in Idaho. You can feel secluded in a remote area in Idaho and still have neighbors if you run into problems, and you can usually find a market where you can get milk and coffee and other essentials within 5-10 miles, at least in NID. And a gas station! But roll across the border to Montana, and you get the feeling that you're on your own in a giant state. OK, so I'm biased, but we do a lot of roadtrips in MT, and we love it, but you get a clear sense of distances being more formidable in MT. That was one of the factors that made us look for property in NID.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:09 PM

3,973 posts, read 7,235,097 times
Totally depends on what part of the state you are talking about. Real Estate prices in the Idaho central montains (Sun Valley, Hailey, etc.) are high. Go 80 miles east to Idaho Falls and Pocatello, and you will find bargains among the lowest in the country not by foreclosure, but by natural real estate prices. So take your pick. Choose Sun Valley, or choose areas such as Idaho Falls, Pocatello, or even Rexburg, or Twin Fallls, and you will see some nice bargains.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:38 AM

31 posts, read 36,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Hi all:

I'll try not to ramble and get to the point.

Are properties as expensive in Idaho as they are in Montana?

I appreciate any feedback.
I take it you're not looking in Eastern Montana, where land isn't exactly expensive. I see 4 bedroom, 2 bath homes in nice working order in Havre, Montana, for less than 150,000. There are doable properties in Eastern Montana for under 50k in smaller cities.

Of course, if you're looking for things that aren't spread out, then Eastern Montana, even the larger cities like Havre, wouldn't be for you.

But really, if you want something that's not spread out and affordable, I don't know if the West in the best place to look. What don't your kids like about North Carolina?

There are plenty of gorgeous areas to that state, and it is definitely producing more jobs than Idaho or Montana.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:23 PM

406 posts, read 571,285 times
Who wants to live in Eastern MOntana?? You might as well live in Indiana.. The "REAL" Montana is the west side and unfortunately all the rich goons from California and East Coast went there to buy their summer homes they rarely see and help drive the prices to oblivion. Anyhow, I dream of living near Glacier NP one day. But yeah, Montana you need $$$.. The same thing is happening with tourist areas in ORegon, the rich people from out-of-state come buy up all the nice properties and drive the prices up and the locals out.

North Carolina is beautiful on the western side too.. But, I can understand the good ol boy mentality of the South may drive some people away.

To answer the question, YES! Idaho is much cheaper than MOntana and that is excluding the job factor. Add that into the equation and probably Idaho is even much cheaper than Montana. If you have a newer car, the tax on your car alone will drive up your expenses considerably. Actually, if you consider the car tax, the taxes in Montana are about the same as Oregon, which are both sales-tax free states, but miserable income tax rates.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:35 PM

8,937 posts, read 3,747,400 times
Hi, Montana Mom...
I'm an Idaho native, but moved to Bozeman twice to work a job there. The second time was 2001-2003- I left when properties in both states were still on the upswing, and moved back to my hometown, Idaho Falls.
Living anywhere in Idaho will be cheaper than Western Montana. At the worst, it will be no higher, and that's only in N. Idaho and Boise areas. Everything south of Boise- Pocatello, I.F., Rexburg, Twin Falls- with the exception of Sun Valley and it's surrounding area is much lower in home purchase.

With older homes, you can get more house for the buck, and in new construction, the prices are lower than W. Montana on the average.

Idaho has sales taxes, but it costs less for a middle or low income person to live here. Montana more than makes up for it's lack of sales tax with their licensing policies and other non-sales taxes. The heating, fuel, and food costs are lower here as well.

Employment in either state is difficult right now, but Idaho has a more diverse economic base than Montana.

I love old Mother Idaho, and I love Montana. I did not have to leave Montana a second time- my job was secure- but it's simply harder to make a go of it there. And for me, both are equally big and wide open. There are no big differences between them in western lifestyle.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 PM

Wow, I can't tell you all how much I appreciate such an abundance of great and truly helpful information. You have given me a lot of things to think about and look into. No one knows as much about an area as people who have actually lived there; that's the great thing about City Data.

I am hoping to plan a trip back out West in the fall, probably in October, and may have lined up some of the places you have suggested to check into, and search for "roots" to put down by then.

Thanks again for all who have taken the time to respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho