Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:39 PM

229 posts, read 584,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by commalot View Post
These "Conservatives vs. Liberals" discussions always seem to spring out of someone's bad experiences. But it is a generality to say "it's all bad over there or here or somewhere else". People are people in anyplace you live. And some are going to be hard to live with. Truthfully, I'm not even sure what the correct definition is for "a Conservative" or "a Liberal". Maybe someone can clear it up for me. For me, I find something about the person in front of me I like and mention it.
I agree. It's frustrating to see people all lumped together in two categories- Democrats vs Republicans. I resent being seen as a "crazy liberal" when there is nothing crazy about me. You have good and bad people in each group and I wish people would look at the person and not the label. I have known some absolutely wonderful people from each group, and although we don't always agree, I don't think any less of them.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:50 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
While I agree with you both that labels are overly broad in most cases, we all know the stereotypical (and commonly reinforced image to where it's barely a stereotype) of the "Portland liberal", the same was as people generally can look at the "Southeast Idaho conservative". It's NOT always incorrect to simply identify the groups on the farther ends of the political spectrum, although it does tend to be used as a pejorative by those on the other half of the political aisle.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:35 PM

229 posts, read 584,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
While I agree with you both that labels are overly broad in most cases, we all know the stereotypical (and commonly reinforced image to where it's barely a stereotype) of the "Portland liberal", the same was as people generally can look at the "Southeast Idaho conservative". It's NOT always incorrect to simply identify the groups on the farther ends of the political spectrum, although it does tend to be used as a pejorative by those on the other half of the political aisle.
I completely agree with what you said Sage of Sagle- there definitely are extremes of both sides- so it's a shame that we "less extreme" folks get lumped into that same label.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:30 AM

820 posts, read 1,738,864 times
Its always frustrating when clients ask me this question. You have all spectrums here and although one seems predominate, that shouldn't deter others from coming here, unless you a crazy extremist like mentioned above, then you can stay where you are.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:31 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
Its always frustrating when clients ask me this question. You have all spectrums here and although one seems predominate, that shouldn't deter others from coming here, unless you a crazy extremist like mentioned above, then you can stay where you are.
I'm very liberal but have had no problem living in Utah off and on for many years. I have all kinds of friends and won't exclude anybody based on what they believe. I would never let a particular predominate belief system keep me from living somewhere, that seems ridiculous to me. Must everybody hold the same beliefs that I do as a requirement for where I live? Please.

I have found that people who seek out "safe" places to reside are usually the cause of their own problems, not the other way around. While I opposed a good deal of the conservative ideology and what I believed was the in-your-face theocracy that was Utah, I never felt any of it infringed on my ability to be happy and enjoy my life. On top of that there are soooooo many more things we have in common than we do not. Must we have parallel political beliefs for our families to enjoy dinner, go skiing, watch a sporting event or go for a hike? Of course not.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:44 AM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
CDA (downtown) has a small contingent of artsy liberals (like downtown Sandpoint only larger), and Kootenai County only votes about 65% conservative (compared to 80%-plus for Bonner County and 85%-plus for Boundary County).

So if you hang out around Sherman Ave downtown, it will feel more like the moderate parts of Seattle metro (Bellevue/Redmond/Issaquah). If you live in 90% of North Idaho, it will feel extremely red-state, although in a more libertarian Ron Paul way than southeast Idaho (which is more republican party line).

One thing that surprised me when first moving to NID was how few conservative campaign stickers were on cars, although I saw a few Obama stickers here and there. What I found was that people here just assume you're conservative. So people on the left side of the political spectrum make a point to stand out.

I wouldn't say that CDA is AS conservative as Seattle is liberal. But you'll find it REALLY conservative compared to Seattle or Portland.
Thanks for this interesting feedback, Sage! Can I ask you (and hopefully this won't result in geographic thread drift) how familiar you are with the Silver Valley (Shoshone County, Wallace, Pinehurst) east of Coeur d'Alene, and how it would stack up?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:45 AM

312 posts, read 732,497 times
So, if you live in Boise...what can I expect? I see alot of organic stores and from photos of the city, I see alot of different type of people..just like any other city....this appeals to me...

I am so confused now....we live in the south now and I just cannot imagine that Boise is this "rednecky"....I cannot speak my peace at work at all....the locals jump on me and believe me...I am NOT liberal or conservative...just in the middle really.....

I just cannot tolerate a neighbor to be spitting their religious beliefs on me because I have a retired racing greyhound...really this is what I get here...telling me he should still be racing and then die after his usefulness is over...I want to jump on these people and choke the crap out of them....but since my husband is an officer, I have to smile and walk away....is this what I am going to get in Boise???? It looks like an animal friendly city????

Thanks all!

Old 05-23-2012, 09:56 AM

9 posts, read 21,702 times
Ok, my contribution to this train wreck:

The two party system is swallowed hook, line, and sinker by the majority of the US. Fox News vs NPR type mentalities where there is no acceptable idea at all from the other side. I have conflicts with this as I'd love to give poor women birth control pills for free. Hell, if I had the money I'd fund it myself. But I don't believe in abortion. For some reason, in our partisan political climate, that makes no sense to people.

I also believe you can raise my taxes for schools and real stuff, but not stupid crap, though squeezing pork into any and all bills is the way both sides do things.

So, what am I politically? Frustrated. They say if you don't vote you can't complain. Well, forget that crap. I do vote, but usually against things rather than for people.

I also struggle with this. Is it better to have someone in office that I agree with a policy that is incompetent, or someone who I disagree with that is competent. ???

99% of government isn't controversial. And 99% of controversial subjects brought up by the media are nothing the govt could change anyhow. Hell, the media is so stupid....

I stopped because I'm getting too worked up.

Re: original topic. It's all good. You'll be fine.

Edited to add:
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveagrey1 View Post
I just cannot tolerate a neighbor to be spitting their religious beliefs on me because I have a retired racing greyhound...really this is what I get here...telling me he should still be racing and then die after his usefulness is over...I want to jump on these people and choke the crap out of them...
That's messed up and has nothing to do with religion anyway. Don't talk to those people. I love greyhounds and the only way you'll ever have one is after they're retired. What's their reasoning? He's a sinful gambling dog? Should we kill the Budweiser Clydesdales? Stupid stupid stupid.

Oh, and please don't judge any area by the stupid neighbors you have. And as for embarrassing and domineering people, my dad is one of those loud Obama haters. He'll say that the US won't be here anymore if Obama is re-elected. Not sure how, in 67 years of life, he hasn't realized that the government can't do much of anything that isn't in a half-assed manner.

Last edited by Granarmas; 05-23-2012 at 10:04 AM..

Old 05-23-2012, 12:14 PM

312 posts, read 732,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granarmas View Post
Ok, my contribution to this train wreck:

The two party system is swallowed hook, line, and sinker by the majority of the US. Fox News vs NPR type mentalities where there is no acceptable idea at all from the other side. I have conflicts with this as I'd love to give poor women birth control pills for free. Hell, if I had the money I'd fund it myself. But I don't believe in abortion. For some reason, in our partisan political climate, that makes no sense to people.

I also believe you can raise my taxes for schools and real stuff, but not stupid crap, though squeezing pork into any and all bills is the way both sides do things.

So, what am I politically? Frustrated. They say if you don't vote you can't complain. Well, forget that crap. I do vote, but usually against things rather than for people.

I also struggle with this. Is it better to have someone in office that I agree with a policy that is incompetent, or someone who I disagree with that is competent. ???

99% of government isn't controversial. And 99% of controversial subjects brought up by the media are nothing the govt could change anyhow. Hell, the media is so stupid....

I stopped because I'm getting too worked up.

Re: original topic. It's all good. You'll be fine.

Edited to add:

That's messed up and has nothing to do with religion anyway. Don't talk to those people. I love greyhounds and the only way you'll ever have one is after they're retired. What's their reasoning? He's a sinful gambling dog? Should we kill the Budweiser Clydesdales? Stupid stupid stupid.

Oh, and please don't judge any area by the stupid neighbors you have. And as for embarrassing and domineering people, my dad is one of those loud Obama haters. He'll say that the US won't be here anymore if Obama is re-elected. Not sure how, in 67 years of life, he hasn't realized that the government can't do much of anything that isn't in a half-assed manner.
Thanks and I am not....we have our sights on Boise and cannot wait to move....1 1/2 more years of hell and then I can get there...hope it isn't too overcrowded by then for everyone to be onto this great city!!!

Old 05-23-2012, 05:41 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granarmas View Post
I'd love to give poor women birth control pills for free. Hell, if I had the money I'd fund it myself. But I don't believe in abortion. For some reason, in our partisan political climate, that makes no sense to people.
This makes a lot of sense to me .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho