Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:17 PM

22 posts, read 43,401 times

Advertisements

Ok, tell me you photoshopped those pics! Awesome. Exactly what I imagined it to look like in NID. Those images are great. I could drink a lot of beers staring out from that front porch. Really nice. Your cabin looks very much like what I anticipate building. I imagine building a simple traditional whole log cabin where each course of logs is pinned together with rebar and chinked with mortar and an open rafter T&G ceiling and metal roof. Something easy to construct but affordable, warm, dry and efficient that will accommodate me, the wife and Hank Williams the dog located on some modest acreage with views, timber and water. Hope I'm not asking for too much! Thanks again for the info and the awe inspiring photos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 10:26 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,259,423 times
It is all fake, it really looks like this...

Old 04-22-2012, 10:43 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,704,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtheck69 View Post
Ok, tell me you photoshopped those pics! Awesome. Exactly what I imagined it to look like in NID. Those images are great. I could drink a lot of beers staring out from that front porch. Really nice. Your cabin looks very much like what I anticipate building. I imagine building a simple traditional whole log cabin where each course of logs is pinned together with rebar and chinked with mortar and an open rafter T&G ceiling and metal roof. Something easy to construct but affordable, warm, dry and efficient that will accommodate me, the wife and Hank Williams the dog located on some modest acreage with views, timber and water. Hope I'm not asking for too much! Thanks again for the info and the awe inspiring photos.
Everyone comes here for something different and it sounds like you are interested for the same reasons we were. If we could do it, you can too! we did have two daughters though so it was a little more complicated.

Our cabin is not log though. We wanted to be able to add on easily because the first part of the cabin we built that first summer was only 20 X 24 feet with a loft. The following summer we added the bathroom/laundry room and the summer after that, a wing off the other side with two bedrooms. We still have plans to expand but who knows if we'll get to it. We're kind of thinking guest cabins for our daughters as they marry and have kids would be nice.
Good luck to you and let me know if you have questions about this area.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
It is all fake, it really looks like this...
Good grief...that picture hurts my eyes. That's truly awful.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:21 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,729,355 times
All I ever dream of is being able to live on enough land where I don't have to wear ear plugs to sleep at night. I've been wearing them now for the last 20 years. Just always too much traffic noise or people noise to even attempt to sleep. Last time I was able to sleep without them was when we stayed at a Bed and Breakfast cabin on the Henry's Fork River in NE Idaho. We were the ONLY guests that night so lucked out and all I heard was the river below. It was heaven. I can't even imagine what it would be like to LIVE in a place with that kind of peace and quiet. No noisy Harley's roaring by, no traffic noise and no screaming kids. Not sure I'll ever get to live like that, but it sure is comforting to know it even exists.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:39 AM

7,354 posts, read 12,590,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
All I ever dream of is being able to live on enough land where I don't have to wear ear plugs to sleep at night. I've been wearing them now for the last 20 years. Just always too much traffic noise or people noise to even attempt to sleep. Last time I was able to sleep without them was when we stayed at a Bed and Breakfast cabin on the Henry's Fork River in NE Idaho. We were the ONLY guests that night so lucked out and all I heard was the river below. It was heaven. I can't even imagine what it would be like to LIVE in a place with that kind of peace and quiet. No noisy Harley's roaring by, no traffic noise and no screaming kids. Not sure I'll ever get to live like that, but it sure is comforting to know it even exists.
You may have to live with the sound of trains rolling by in the distance in the middle of the night, the neighbor's generator going on in the morning, and another neighbor's shooting range hopping all Sunday afternoon! But those, to me, are the background sounds of peaceful Idaho life. Pines whispering (they really do), dogs barking, birds singing, ospreys crying, wolves howling...

Old 04-23-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
You may have to live with the sound of trains rolling by in the distance in the middle of the night, the neighbor's generator going on in the morning, and another neighbor's shooting range hopping all Sunday afternoon! But those, to me, are the background sounds of peaceful Idaho life. Pines whispering (they really do), dogs barking, birds singing, ospreys crying, wolves howling...

I live with the sound of the river and occasionally the rumble of logging trucks going by on the county road though none of that right now with the roads on weight limits for spring.
But a neighbor close enough to hear his generator going would be a deal breaker for me. Not fond of trains close enough to hear them rolling either though I imagine the sound of the whistle in the distance wouldn't be bad. I'm too used to real quiet after 10 years here! And real darkness too...I love that there is no light pollution. Except when there is a full moon shining off the river. Damn that light pollution.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:28 PM

8,010 posts, read 10,572,252 times
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I am a country boy in many ways. I drive an old pick up, wear Wranglers and t-shirts and boots, fix things that are broke instead of tossing them, cook out our meals, build stuff out of pallet wood, fish, love the taste of SKOAL and would rather be out wandering in the woods than watching reality TV.
Wow, do you have a brother? - well, except for the SKOAL part.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:36 PM

63 posts, read 166,474 times
Quote:
One more thing. I was diagnosed last year with a rare kidney disease that will require dialysis or a transplant within the next 10-15 years, so close proximity to quality medical care is important.
I just don't get this attitude, taxes are too high... yet, according to the UNM "The cost of kidney dialysis averages about $44,000 per year per patient, using 1993 figures. The average cost for the transplant patients in our study, including the transplant surgery and medical care for the first year following surgery was $89,939. After the first year, costs for the transplant patients averaged $16,043; mostly for medications to prevent rejection.

Who pays for this? We all do... with taxes, and I (and some others) are happy to do it. IMO, each life is precious and is worth far more than the thousands or millions required for care.

Read more: Kidney Transplant Costs

Anyway, welcome to Idaho, we've got a lot like you. My father's neighbor grows barley in the upper valley (receives subsidies) and complains about the feds any chance he gets. I DON'T GET IT.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:27 PM

22 posts, read 43,401 times
I can absolutely relate to dcisive. I hear the 5 freeway all day every day and night and it gets pretty old. We very much also want some peace, quiet and solitude. Montanamom, I actually have two older brothers that are very much like me, but they are both happily married for 20 years with several kids back east. Sorry. I am working on the SKOAL. I have been doing pretty well with cutting back and hopefully I will have the habit kicked all together soon. It would make the wife happy so it' worth the sacrifice. Hi Quenton...I certainly don't mind paying taxes if they are used for what they were originally intended. That seldom happens in CA, however, yet they continue to rise. Property, sales, income, estate, etc. It's a constant source of strife in the state and is always at the top of the docket in Sacramento. CA is very much a welfare state and is getting worse. I'm OK with social programs but with a fair and equitable balance. Again, that is much of the state's problem. A lot of in fighting and political angling. Our ultimate goal is self-sustainability as much as possible. Build our own home, continue to grow our own food (one great thing about CA is that my garden is stellar because of the weather), heat with wood, etc. Maybe even solar and wind if possible. Anyway, one thing at a time. I think the next step is to definitely make a trip up there in the next month or so to see the area and scope out the different locations. Also need to secure some employment. Don't want to make a move without a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho