Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:05 AM

148 posts, read 501,233 times

Advertisements

Sandpoint is much more of a tourist stop. There are more shopping choices, if thats what you want to do. Lots more traffic in Sandpoint. Bonners is more laid back, a farming community. Sandpoint has the lake, Bonners the river. Seeems like more hippies in Sandpoint. Sandpoint is bigger than Bonners. Both towns have there advantages and disadvantages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 07:24 PM

119 posts, read 139,787 times
I curious to know what is Bonners Ferry is like today? Thank you In terms of being a farming community and lifestyle
Attached Thumbnails
Bonners Ferry Info Please!-citydata.png  

Old 11-28-2017, 09:01 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf of Aden View Post
I curious to know what is Bonners Ferry is like today? Thank you In terms of being a farming community and lifestyle
Bonners Ferry has grown since this original post though it is still a pretty sleepy town. There is a new Super 1 grocery store and there will be construction to widen US95 over the coming few years. It will likely be a bit of a mess during that time. I love Boundary County and would so love to pack up and move from Kootenai County. Jobs are still pretty scarce and pay is still low like most of Idaho. There is a lot of farming and I love the people though. The ground is perfect for those with livestock rather than the rocks we grow to the south.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:43 PM

119 posts, read 139,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Bonners Ferry has grown since this original post though it is still a pretty sleepy town. There is a new Super 1 grocery store and there will be construction to widen US95 over the coming few years. It will likely be a bit of a mess during that time. I love Boundary County and would so love to pack up and move from Kootenai County. Jobs are still pretty scarce and pay is still low like most of Idaho. There is a lot of farming and I love the people though. The ground is perfect for those with livestock rather than the rocks we grow to the south.
Is there a strong agricultural community there? What sort of crops are common?

Old 11-29-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf of Aden View Post
Is there a strong agricultural community there? What sort of crops are common?
It is mostly hay crops, some cattle, and tree farms - not produce or the like because of the short growing season. I have not been near the border in awhile but there used to be a large farm with hops owned by Budweiser or a subsidiary. Maybe someone else knows if that is still around.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:38 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,897 times
Yes, I believe the hop farm is still there.

Off topic: Our second choice house was just outside Bonners Ferry, and was owned by the guy who managed that hop farm.

Dave

Old 11-29-2017, 08:17 PM

374 posts, read 562,553 times
My mother's family farmed in Bonners Ferry in the '30s. Les Howard was her brother. He worked for a Chrysler dealership. I Google that there are no new car dealerships in Bonners these days.

The last I heard, Dierks fence posts were being grown on their farm site.

I haven't been there since '61. I understand you still have to shovel the roof off every winter.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Yes, I believe the hop farm is still there.

Off topic: Our second choice house was just outside Bonners Ferry, and was owned by the guy who managed that hop farm.

Dave
Off topic - Now that you have been here over a year are you happy with where you landed instead of being in Bonners?

Old 11-30-2017, 12:32 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Off topic - Now that you have been here over a year are you happy with where you landed instead of being in Bonners?
Yes, very much so. We are out in the eastern end of Sagle in a fairly out of the way location. We enjoy the seclusion, and having the lake nearby for its recreational opportunities.

I think we would have been quite happy to be in the Bonners area. Sandpoint would have been about the same driving time from either place, but we probably would have spent more time in Bonners and less in Sandpoint. I think there is a little more going on in Sandpoint in terms of restaurants, music and other activities.

Our decision was entirely driven by the houses in question, not the location.

Dave

Old 12-05-2017, 01:02 PM

349 posts, read 1,040,108 times
Sandpoint is a beautiful town with a lot of downtown as far as shopping and restaurants, they have an awesome farmer's market and a lot of outdoor activity. I would relocate there in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho