U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,830 times
Default From Denver to Lewiston??

My husband got a job offer in Lewiston. If he accepts we move in 2 weeks... I have lived in Denver all of my life and I'm freaking out about moving we are a 24 yr old couple with a 3 year old son. What is Lewiston about?? Weather, Hospitals, cost of living, mountains, schools, natural disaters, ect?? I have no idea what to expect. Will it be a culture shock?? Please help thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 11:29 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,140,806 times
Probably will be a culture shock, if you are accustomed to a town the size of Denver.

With that said, Lewiston has lots of charm. Largest town in the region, so shopping is decent for the size town. Good local college. Regional hospital, with easy access to Spokanes excellent hospitals for bigger issues. If you like the outdoors, there is a lot to do. Nice river, and system of parks along said river. I could go on if you have more specific questions. One of the warmest towns in Idaho. I suggest checking what C-D has to say for general info about crime rate, weather, etc.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:41 PM

119 posts, read 70,316 times
As someone who graduated from Lewiston High in 1986 and Lewis-Clark State College in 1988, and who now lives close to Denver, I believe this will be a bit of a shock to you. When I lived there, I did major clothes shopping in Spokane. I agree with Keim's comments. I recall that Lewiston has four very distinctive seasons, where it seems to almost always be sunny around Denver. Lewiston could be hotter than heck in the summer and sloppy-wet in winter, but with all the moisture, you do get super nice flowers! Mountains - not really. Natural disasters - nah.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:14 PM

13 posts, read 9,341 times
lol...prepare yourself for an utter lack of traffic jams and gang-banger types

Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 AM

119 posts, read 70,316 times
I had a couple other thoughts. You know how people talk about Greeley and the cows? The same can be said for certain parts of Lewiston with the Potlatch Lumber Pulp Mill. The scent of money!

Also, if you do go, pick up a drink at one of the Hot Shot Espresso drive-thrus and please give the owner, Emily, a hello from Michelle in Colorado! I think she told me last year that they were getting a Kohl's soon. (?)

Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 PM

3,960 posts, read 6,625,157 times
I hope you understand that you are moving from a metro of 2 million plus to a metro of about 80,000.

So if you can understand that many amenities you are used to don't exist in this area, then go for it.

There are no major malls, there is no Five Guys, there is no Costco, etc, etc.

That said, it is big enough to provide most services you need, just not the big brand names, except for Safeway.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:04 PM

Well that's not quite true. Lewiston does, for instance, have a Costco. It is the regional hub for shopping for a good chunk of south eastern wash and central Idaho.

It certainly won't have what the OP is accustomed to, I'll concur.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 PM

3,960 posts, read 6,625,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Well that's not quite true. Lewiston does, for instance, have a Costco. It is the regional hub for shopping for a good chunk of south eastern wash and central Idaho.

It certainly won't have what the OP is accustomed to, I'll concur.
As for Costco in Lewiston, how come it is not listed on the companies website?

Find a Costco warehouse

EDIT: Because Costco is not in Lewiston, it is across the Snake River in Clarkston, Washington. Mystery solved.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:12 AM

879 posts, read 1,697,982 times
I'm just wondering why Lewiston is so much warmer than Boise? What is Boise's elevation? Is Lewiston at the bottom of a canyon, or in a valley?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
I'm just wondering why Lewiston is so much warmer than Boise? What is Boise's elevation? Is Lewiston at the bottom of a canyon, or in a valley?
Lewiston is at the bottom of a deep valley. In fact, it is near Hells Canyon, the deepest river vally on the continent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho