Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 01:28 AM

914 posts, read 2,918,840 times

Advertisements

I know this is kind of a random question, but what are the best/nicest areas in Idaho that are also the warmest? I've heard about Northern Idaho's scenic beauty, and its desirability for other reasons, but I was wondering if there are areas that are also nice, but are warmer (shorter winters with less snow, warm summer days, longer growing season, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 02:28 PM

414 posts, read 1,094,898 times
Southern Idaho has a lot of desert-type area that can lend itself to extreme highs and lows. It also tends to have quite a bit of wind, especially in the eastern portion of the state near Idaho Falls, and the winters can be pretty bitter and snowy in that south-eastern area of the state. North Idaho is generally greener with more trees and mountains, but you're right, we generally have shorter summers and longer winters.

My educated guess is the city with the longest/warmest summers that doesn't tend to have too bad of winters is Lewiston. It sits right on the rivers at an elevation of just 745 feet, and a lot of bad weather is deflected around it. The average high temperature in Lewiston is 93.2 degrees in July and 40.9 degrees in January. The average low in January is 26 degrees, so it really doesn't get too far below freezing.

Compare that to Coeur d'Alene's avg high of 34.6 in January and 84.9 in July, or even Boise's of 36/90.

Lewiston is close to a lot of outdoor recreational activities, *fairly* centrally-located in the state, and right on the Washington-Idaho border. It's a half hour drive up to Moscow, a 2-hour trip to Coeur d'Alene, and a 4 1/2 hour trip to Boise. Lewiston also has an airport served by Horizon and SkyWest, making it pretty easy to get flights to larger airports like Boise, Seattle, and Spokane.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:52 PM

285 posts, read 850,221 times
Boise has a somewhat short winter that doesn't receive a lot of snow and hot, long summer. Although spring tends to be a little cool and long (not this year obviously).

Southeast Idaho also has a warm summer but as the above poster said, also gets very cold and sometimes snowy. A few years ago I was down in that corner and it was snowing on the last day of May.

I am shocked to see that data on Lewiston's weather. It must be the low elevation

Old 04-24-2012, 03:23 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times
It is the elevation. Lewiston is always 5-10 degrees warmer than the surrounding area. Rarely gets snow. It is the local banana belt.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:57 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
I think we had this discussion in another thread awhile back. Lewiston and Boise are definitely the hottest in summer, and probably the mildest in winter. However, Twin Falls isn't that different from Boise, perhaps a bit cooler in winter.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:23 PM

914 posts, read 2,918,840 times
Thanks to everyone who responded. You told me exactly what I wanted to know! Your input and help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 17,493 times
Thanks for sharing.http://www.amzcard.info/g.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho