Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:55 PM

159 posts, read 354,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I do believe vet's need to make money, but have to wonder if the overprice of spaying and neutering is needed. Animals are not like people in knowing to abstain from sex Just seems so much breeding and unwanted pets are leaving us with a huge problem with animals with no care.
The problem isn't the cost. People always find a way to pay for things when they think it is important. And it isn't just the ignorant people who fail to spay or neuter their pets it is the breeder and the customer of purebreds that are at the root of this problem.

I know highly educated wealthy people that think that their pet is so special that they must breed it. To those people I say, "Don't breed or buy while shelters animals die."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 07:42 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcda View Post
The problem isn't the cost. People always find a way to pay for things when they think it is important. And it isn't just the ignorant people who fail to spay or neuter their pets it is the breeder and the customer of purebreds that are at the root of this problem.

I know highly educated wealthy people that think that their pet is so special that they must breed it. To those people I say, "Don't breed or buy while shelters animals die."
There are very good reasons to get a purebred dog. We have working Great Pyrenees as livestock guardian dogs. They instinctively guard without being trained and have been bred for hundreds of years to do so. We went to the best breeder of working dogs with good temperaments we could find and our dogs have been everything we needed them to be.
You can't just go to a pound and get any old dog to guard livestock like a Great Pyr or herd like a Border Collie.
With that said, every dog and cat on our place is neutered and we've never bred any animals except for our sheep. I hate it when people breed with no specific purpose or need in mind.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:53 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcda View Post

Should I pay $400.00 for a purebred German Shepherd at the shelter, so they say, their not sure of the line, but this cost will help the other pets............shelter's have changed much since I've been involved.

Up in Washington the shepherd rescue had shepherd puppies they had rescued from a Mexican family they asked $400.00 each for the pups at 8 weeks. She couldn't tell me any background history, except she rescued them from a dangerous sitution. I've been through backyard breeding with a shepherd that cost me thousands of dollars to have him die any way at 3 yrs and a broken heart.

Rich people don't breed just to make money that's just silly, it's more like low income people who want to make a few bucks off of their cute dog. Serious breeders provide kennels and a safe place to have pups, not a backyard full of dirt and children's toys.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:38 PM

506 posts, read 958,480 times
How inhumane. Poor puppy. *Not to self, never go to Idaho*

Old 07-01-2012, 10:45 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
How inhumane. Poor puppy. *Not to self, never go to Idaho*
Yes. Because animal cruelty only happens in Idaho and everyone in Idaho shoots puppies.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:16 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Yes. Because animal cruelty only happens in Idaho and everyone in Idaho shoots puppies.
You beat me too it..........what a response. I don't think I've ever thought about not going to CA after the pup in Sacramento had a bomb strapped to it and blown up. Luckly it survived and it's owner reclaimed the little guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: