Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:43 AM

285 posts, read 850,282 times

Advertisements

California has it's issues but there IS more to California than Southern California.

Everybody always says "California is terrible" when often times, they are only talking about one specific part of it. It is a big state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 12:02 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times
That's true, but some issues affect everyone, like tax hikes generated by the budget excesses; overburdening business with regulations and fees (did you know that as much as 70% of the cost of an employee in CA is gov't stuff?) ... affect everyone, even those still blessed with living in one of the remaining reasonably sane parts of CA.

And it does eventually encroach... I lived out in the desert miles from anything, yet was eventually driven out.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:19 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,838,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILI.EB View Post
California has it's issues but there IS more to California than Southern California.

Everybody always says "California is terrible" when often times, they are only talking about one specific part of it. It is a big state.
I think sometimes by some of our posts people think we hated where we lived. Not so. We just hated California...the whole package. And let's face it...where you live comes as a whole package, your neighborhood, your city, your taxes, the people, your local airport trips, your shopping, your traffic, the crime around you and in the area right around you, etc.

I lived in a very nice small town in the mountains with a pop. of 2,500 year round at an elevation of 6000' near a ski resort. AWESOME place. I liked most things about our town, and it felt more "Idaho" than "California" albeit awfully dry. But it was part of California, and the problems of California constantly made my life more difficult, from my taxes and fees going crazy to crime invading our town and REALLY saturating the lower areas around us to horrible traffic if we went anywhere in a 50 mile radius to the heavy reconquista movement spreading through the counties around us...the list goes on.

So yeah, I could have moved to some other part of the state...and I would have gotten away from several of the issues except the statewide fiscal issues but would have certain found other problems unique to those locales...or I could have gotten smart and gone to Idaho where personal freedom is still respected by the state government and the state is required to live on a balanced budget...two VERY attractive things to a Californian...and as a business owner it was time to get OUT of California on top of all that...

Old 09-14-2012, 01:00 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Wandered in here by accident... yeah, SoCal used to be great. I lived there Sept1984-Aug2012 and watched it go to hell and not a damn thing I could do about it. CA ain't gonna get better til it has a total meltdown.

Currently in SoID, enroute back to Montana. *sigh*
Hey Reziac, good to see you here! Welcome to the ID forum. Now that you're here, come over and visit on our North Idaho Front Porch which welcomes anyone from anywhere in Idaho, anyone who wants to be in Idaho, or anyone being in Idaho temporarily.

I'm still in SoCal, and will be here until I retire, several years from now. My job doesn't transfer, and I'm lucky to be employed. And my little corner of SoCal is (still) friendly and mostly pleasant--but like Sage says, it is nevertheless attached to CA, with all its minuses. If I couldn't spend vacations in North Idaho, on our property on the ID/MT border, I would be a lot less sane...

Old 09-14-2012, 10:48 AM

Hey Fantast, howdy there Saw your little NID porch and wondered if the swing was open to all... I might be by shortly. Hold the chiggers.

What corner of SoCal do you call job, anyway?

I loved my patch of desert, but it was getting hit by those minuses pretty durn hard.

Boise area is nice, but it ain't home.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:21 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Hey Fantast, howdy there Saw your little NID porch and wondered if the swing was open to all... I might be by shortly. Hold the chiggers.

What corner of SoCal do you call job, anyway?

I loved my patch of desert, but it was getting hit by those minuses pretty durn hard.

Boise area is nice, but it ain't home.
We're in San Diego East County. Hills, canyons, trees, wildlife. Not bad...except now we're having 108 degrees...

Old 09-14-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
We're in San Diego East County. Hills, canyons, trees, wildlife. Not bad...except now we're having 108 degrees...
Aha... I've been through there, have a friend just out of Tecate... nice area (unless you're right on the border!) You do get that late summer heat, tho...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho