Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 01:30 PM

12 posts, read 81,132 times

Advertisements

Well, it looks like we will be driving up to CDA middle August. We plan to take our time on the drive out and try and hit some neat places on the way out.
We have also added Sandpoint to our list of possible homes. So we are going to hang out for a couple of weeks and check out CDA, Hayden, and Sandpoint area. So if anyone knows of a decent extended stay type place that charges by the week, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 10:43 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
I am not aware of any extended stay hotels (like a Residence Inn) in the C'da area. There are some in Spokane, but that is a bit far and I don't recommend staying that far away. We have had to do some longer hotels stays while moving and have used the Hampton Inn in Riverwalk a couple of times. The king suite room is quite large and has a full length counter top with cabinets, a sink, fridge and microwave. We are a family of four it worked out very well for us and I would use them again if I was looking for some where to be when moving in and out of the area.

In Hayden, make sure you check out Honeysuckle Beach and have lunch or dinner at The Porch. Those are some of our favorite Hayden spots.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:39 PM

28 posts, read 67,590 times
Default vacation rentals

You can do a search for vacation rentals and stay in a well appointed home in most areas in NID. I usually go to one of the travel advisor sites and type in vacation rentals and the area. When I did that today for Sandpoint it returned 16 options. Not sure if we can post the name of the travel site on this forum so if you need help, DM me.
Annie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCescape View Post
Well, it looks like we will be driving up to CDA middle August. We plan to take our time on the drive out and try and hit some neat places on the way out.
We have also added Sandpoint to our list of possible homes. So we are going to hang out for a couple of weeks and check out CDA, Hayden, and Sandpoint area. So if anyone knows of a decent extended stay type place that charges by the week, please let me know.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:42 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner and HomeAway Vacation Rentals: Beach Houses, Condos, Cabins, Villas & Vacation Rental Homes are both good places to look for vacation rentals. The only caveat with them is there usually is not the ability to be flexible with the reservation and you must pay upfront. However, if you are sure of your plans it is a great option. We have used them several times and have enjoyed a house instead of a hotel room for our holidays.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:51 PM

Thanks everyone. I will look into that. I am just looking forward to getting into Idaho and visiting Boise and CDA/Sandpoint. I have researched so much and have heard different opinions on a range of things, so I guess some things I will just have to see for myself and come to my own conclusion.

I am still leaning toward North Idaho, but haven't ruled out Boise. I can gather that CDA/Sandpoint is greener then Boise, but then I still have some tell me that Boise is also nice and beautiful. I guess the biggest thing I have to see for myself is if Boise is really a dingy brown environment as I have seen some describe it? I have spent time in phoenix and I the desert sand and no grass/trees didn't appeal to me. Is the Boise area like that? How far out do I have to go from Boise to get to green forested mountain areas and activities. Is Bogus Basin a decent ski hill? How much further to an even better ski hill?

Any insight on those questions is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:39 PM

285 posts, read 850,042 times
Boise isn't super green, but it's not void of green either.
Bogus basin is decent, but what makes it great is being 25 minutes from the city to parked and ready to go.
Better (almost world-class) skiing is about 2 hours away in 2 directions.
Half way up to bogus, you'll enter the Boise national forest where it is green.
Within Boise city limits is Lucky peak for boating, etc and 25 minutes the other way is Lake Lowell in Nampa.
The Boise river is also in the middle of the city and it's neat to be downtown walking around and seeing all the people having a great time down on the river.

Boise is very very nice when you factor in that you can have a whole day outdoors hunting/ skiing / rafting / boating / whatever and come back into town and have a dinner and drinks at a nice lounge in an urban downtown setting.

The area around Boise may not be too green, but the city of Boise itself has plenty of trees and parts of the city feel almost park/resort-like.

If you come here, focus on the north and east sides where you can be slightly "remote" yet still close to town.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:52 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCescape View Post

I would assume that some of the Ponderay hotels (just north of Sandpoint) would offer weekly rates if you ask them. Day's Inn might work with you, as well as Howard Johnson. HoJo's has been very accomodating when we've asked them to make special arrangements for us. But if you want a great hotel in Sandpoint with a view that will woo you (try to say that fast! ), splurge on a few days at the Best Western Edgewater. It's everybody's favorite, and really not all that expensive. Then stay for the rest of the week in Ponderay and save $.

You may want to avoid arriving in Sandpoint on the last weekend of the Festival, ending Aug.12--you'll have trouble finding accomodations if you haven't made reservations ahead of time. Of course you could also time it so you can enjoy the Festival, but make sure you get tickets online. They may be sold out already. http://www.festivalatsandpoint.com/

Old 07-21-2012, 11:02 PM

123 posts, read 263,218 times
Sandpoint...sandpoint..sandpoint

Old 07-26-2012, 02:35 PM

16 posts, read 59,899 times
I read through this just to learn more about CDA myself, and understand SCescape is asking about CDA and Boise, but I have to ask why not Park City (Utah)? For the school needs, skiing, and sport-specific facilities, it seems to fit all the questions being asked. Just askin'!!!
We just spent a day in Boise and wanted to look into it a bit too, but we're pretty happy in PC.
Steve in Park City

Old 07-26-2012, 04:59 PM

Well, in all honesty I looked at Park City about 2 years ago when I got to the point that I wanted to research in detail our future home around the mountains. That research involved air quality, crime, schools, cost of living, access to medical care, and at the request of my 8 year old who had a near run in with a copper head in GA, venomous snakes .
Park City seemed like a great place. As I started to research it the Mormon/LDS influence started to pop up everywhere. Let me say that I am God Beleiving Christian, support Chik Fil A, consider my beliefs to be on the conservative side. I honestly don't know a ton about the LDS church to be honest, and support religious freedom. It is just everything I have read seems to indicate that you and your family could be on the outside looking in on alot of things, including jobs if your not part of LDS.

Now that may not be true, but it certainly gets discussed significantly on the Utah forum. I am Baptist and I intend to stick with that religion. I have heard that Mormons are super nice and friendly, but the just the thought of being treated differently for not being LDS cautioned me I guess.
So that was the not so short, short answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho