Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 12:48 AM

914 posts, read 2,918,132 times

Advertisements

A question for anyone who has made this journey: approx. how long would it take to drive from Reno, Nevada to southwestern Idaho (Boise area)? I am planning a trip with my family, and we would be making the trek during the summer, and driving a camper. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 01:45 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,468 times
6 hours if you drive straight through at the speed limit. Add on restaurant stops and so forth.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
6 hours if you drive straight through at the speed limit. Add on restaurant stops and so forth.
Thanks for your reply. Is it an easy drive? I haven't looked at a detailed map yet, but what is the terrain like?

Old 07-08-2012, 03:01 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
It is not a joyride. Mile after mile after mile of extremely arid, desolate country. It is one of the most severe desert landscapes I know, and I usually love driving through deserts. But aside from that, and the desert heat, and the fact that you're on a two-lane highway most of the time, it's not a particularly challenging drive. Just bring lots of water!!!

Old 07-08-2012, 05:55 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
If you take the Interstate down to Twin, and then 93 from Twin to Nevada on US 93, that stretch is 2-lane, but you'll pick up the Interstate at Wells, Nevada, and it's all I-80 from there to Reno.
The Nevada Interstate was in much worse condition than the Idaho road when I last drove it. The heat caused deep rutting in the pavement.
CFF is right- it's a hot desolate drive. Be sure and take some water, and make sure your radiator is full of coolant and your oil is good. Ovedrheating car or driver would not be a good thing!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
It is not a joyride. Mile after mile after mile of extremely arid, desolate country. It is one of the most severe desert landscapes I know, and I usually love driving through deserts. But aside from that, and the desert heat, and the fact that you're on a two-lane highway most of the time, it's not a particularly challenging drive. Just bring lots of water!!!
Wow, that sounds a little scary! Is it a heavily traveled highway? It doesn't sound like there are any stops along the way. Would it be better to go the longer route through Oregon, and come into Idaho that way?

Old 07-08-2012, 10:15 PM

291 posts, read 669,495 times
Time your driving to stop in Jordan Valley. The little Restaraunt there has excellent food.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:44 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Wow, that sounds a little scary! Is it a heavily traveled highway? It doesn't sound like there are any stops along the way. Would it be better to go the longer route through Oregon, and come into Idaho that way?
Now I'm not sure which route you were referring to. I was talking about the I-80 to 95 route through Nevada and Oregon. Banjomike's suggestion of I-80 to 93 to I-84 will be a little longer, but more reassuring inasmuch as most of it is freeway driving. But 95 is absolutely heavily traveled--you won't find yourself alone on the road.

The third possibility is to take 395 north out of Reno into CA and OR, and take 20 at Burns into Idaho, and south on 84 to Boise. I haven't done 20, but I assume it is fairly remote. 395 is a nice ride through small towns, and you'll be driving along two pretty lakes, but part of it is at elevation on that stretch, I believe, and a camper may be an issue. You should check out the elevation and general scenery through Google Earth--thay also have gas stations marked.

Where are you starting your trip from? Reno itself? The I'd just grit my teeth and do I-80 to 95. If you want the trip to be part of the vacation, go 395 to 20 to 84--more stuff to see!

Old 07-09-2012, 03:58 AM

28 posts, read 67,593 times
We just drove the Reno to Boise route, I-80-95 in May and I agree with CCF, if you are looking for a scenic drive with lots of interesting stops along the way, choose another route. We chose the longer Oregon route on our return trip. There were many more towns to stop and a whole lot more traffic, not necessarily good things IMHO. There were many more choices for something to eat though!

Old 07-09-2012, 07:22 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,429 times
I suggest you subscribe to XM Radio That's a boring trip. I've made it a few times in my day. I would make sure you stop in Winnemucca for a bite to eat, bathroom stop, stock up on water and most of all top off the gas tank completely to full, checking your oil, water etc. From there hop on Hwy 95 and settle in for a long boring drive. It will get you there a lot more directly. 93 is way out of the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: