Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 07:19 PM

93 posts, read 271,213 times

Advertisements

I am originally from the Midwest, and now live in Boise. I've been here about 18 mos. I like farmland, and I am considering moving to a locale in Idaho where there is a lot of farmland. I am a truck driver, and I have seen a lot of farmland in both the Twin Falls and Nampa area. I do not see much farmland around the Boise area probably because the soil is unsuitable. I have searched for a map that shows (clearly) where the farmland is in Idaho, but can not find anything. Do you have a map to share that shows farmland in Idaho? Do you have an opinion on which metro area is more agricultural? (in terms of farmland.. not cattle grazing). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 01:46 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times
Both are pretty similar.

TF is surrounded by farmland, along the Snake on the southside of the river. Buhl, Filer, Castleford, Hagerman, Kimberly, and Hansen are all farming communities... even as far a Burley. A bit of farming north of the Canyon, but really there are more dairies there.

Nampa's farmland is sigificantly on the western side... but has more of a high desert feel because it's a bit more removed from the Snake.

I'd say TF area.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,490 times
A little late on this: I'm from the Twin falls area. Go on google maps satellite view and zoom out to see southwest Idaho. This area was originally desert until dams allowed irrigation so you can easily see the round and rectangular green and brown farm fields compared to the unirrigated surroundings that appear grayish or orange. Irrigated pastures also appear green and would indicate more ranchland than farmland, but most of the two areas, Nampa and twin falls, are dominated by farming with feedlot dairies also supported by farming. Ranching tends to occur nearby at higher elevations near blm and usfs land. If you move here, avoid buying land downwind of or close to dairies/feedlots. I don't know Nampa as well, but I would say both areas are similar in terms of farmland and you should weigh other factors to decide between the two. Nampa is close enough to Boise to feel its effects including a lot of rural subdivisions, but if you get out of town a little ways, you are in farmland in both areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho