Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 PM

78 posts, read 194,390 times

Advertisements

I am in a Nissan Frontier with 5' x 8' uhaul trailer. Trailer is single axle and will have an estimated 3000lb. total weight. Google maps has me going through eastern CO to Cheyenne then up through Billings, butte, missoula then on to Coeur d'alene. I will be on the roads january 3rd through 6th.
Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 07:53 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,273,774 times
Dude it's winter. Like you I was escaping and CA would not let me leave. Insta-blizzard in Shasta closed the road so I had to turn around and find a hotel. Don't forget the chains. The trailer should not need any if it does not have brakes. The only pass up here is coming into Idaho (lookout), don't forget to have your camera ready for that sign. That is a great feeling the first time! You can scan the weather channel for any big storms, but sometimes it just snows like crazy without much of any warning. You can check out some webcams here: Lookout pass idaho live web camera. Most states have road condition websites, here is ours:
Idaho Transportation Department Traveler Information.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:57 PM

The job will not wait until spring

Old 12-28-2012, 08:07 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
Actually, the OP will be going through two mountain passes. The aforementioned Lookout Pass. And, nearer to CdA, Fourth of July Pass. It is a fairly low pass, but can be tricky too.

Just drive slow, and you should be fine. Try to arrange not to hit the passes in the dark, or early morning. They tend to be well maintained.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:18 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Have enough weight in your truck bed that your rear wheels will get traction, and have tire chains for all 4 wheels, and you'll be fine.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:30 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Keep a warm pair of boots, a hat, gloves and warm coat at hand in the truck. If you get a little stuck or something, having that winter gear at hand is a lot better than having to get out and fish around in your rig for it while you're freezing your butt off looking for it.
I know- that sounds simple and logical, but a lot of newcomers tend to remove the winter gear on long drives and turn the car heater up. Wind chill can really hit hard if you're not protected right at first from it. Having it and not needing it is always better than the other way around.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:04 PM

I have the gloves, boots, jacket, pants,top rated tires, 4x4 truck, water, dry food, flash lights, tools. I guess I have to hope I can hit a wal-mart on the way up for chains. Too late to have them shipped. Sage and Banjo as always thanks for the advice.
Also looks like another new comer has signed up and asking questions.
I will be in touch with updates of my adventure.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:49 PM

294 posts, read 544,059 times
Homestake pass just east of Butte MT. can be very tricky. It is literally the continental divide. The snow is usually cleared away by the plows but it can be icy. The other thing that catches people off guard is black ice. You will think the road is totally cleared down to the black top. If it starts to have a glissen to it and looks wet, it may be black ice. It is imho the worst road condition there is and you should avoid it. Most times the trip across mountain passes is very uneventful. Good luck.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:58 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Default Little Hotties

I've lived up north and vacationed up there (Montana and Wyoming mostly) and now I'm in Dallas. Trust me Ranger, you need a couple boxes of Little Hotties for hand warmers (maybe even feet warmers) on your trip up there.

I believe the odds are in your favor to have a safe journey all the way, but think preparation with a captial "P". If you do end up sitting on the side of the road for a bit, a stupid little thing like a hottie or two might not save your life, but it will make it a heck of a lot less miserable.

Heed advice from Sage and Banjomike. Their words always seem right on.

Wishing you the best and hoping to follow in about sixteen months.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:01 PM

I hope no black ice. I will have the hand warmers as well. Good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho