Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:51 AM

11 posts, read 22,168 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I made this account just for this I have a possible opportunity for a large promotion and would need to relocate to Pocatello if I get offered and take it. Problem is it’s a HUGE change from where I am at now, Tampa Florida. Going from summer year long to cold as a witches butt all year. I've never even seen snow. I've been doing research into the area now for a week or so. The area seems like a great place to raise a family. The only two drawbacks I see is the cold and doesn't seem like there is a whole bunch to do. How often does it snow? Would I need to buy a four wheel drive veh for snow driving? Would a mit eclipse be ok for the area, I assume could use it on plowed roads when it does snow I would prob rent for a year then buy a house, is there a good area for renting or buying? I'm 28 and see this as a chance for a better life, as long as I can deal with the snow and the area.

My girlfriend and her 4 year old would prob come with but if she doesn't want to relocate it will just be me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 12:22 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Hi, Omni...
There is a ton of outdoor activities all around the area, and since Pocatello is a large hub city that serves smaller communities south all the way to the Utah border and west halfway to Twin Falls, there are lots of shops, big box stores and services. There are also metroplex theaters, lots of dining.
Due to Idaho State U.'s location in Poky, the nightlife is pretty good and there is a lot of entertainment that comes to ISU. And of course, there is a lot of student entertainment and activities.

More than anything, Poky is close to some of the most spectacular scenery in the West. And Idaho is still wild; 40 miles away from town in any direction is still wide open and still very much like the country Lewis & Clark passed through. It's easy to be the only human around for miles out here.

It's not cold here year round by any means. Summers are most often in the high 80's, and a hot summer is one in the 90's. It is very dry in this area, and the dryness makes both heat and cold more tolerable than you think. Winters in Poky are a few degrees warmer than the rest of the Snake River Valley, but it does get cold during December, January and February, and the cold can last into March. Some years are snowy, some less so, but there will be snow on the ground.

Adjusting to the winters is something that folks either accomplish with no big trouble or not. Much of it depends on an individual's mind set. Autumn often lingers long, and folks here often anticipate the cold snap that turns autumn into early winter. Most often, it warms up again after that cold snap, but never as much as before.

Buying a good set of winter tires is essential. Your Eclipse will do just fine with them, but spending money to buy the good ones always pays off big time. You might have some trouble the day after a storm, but Poky plows it's streets in good order after storms. The biggest thing you will have to do is learn how to drive on winter streets; an afternoon in an empty parking lot is well spent doing this, but the main thing is to simply slow down and give yourself plenty of room while braking.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:43 PM

Thank you for the quick response! You gave me lots of info to think about. I love the outside, so in the summer I'm sure you will see me running or hiking somewhere around town. Sounds as if there is enough nightlife to keep me going as well. Sounds as if the nature aspect of the area is beautiful, I'm sure I would enjoy that. With the change in the seasons I assume the tree leaves change color to that pretty orange I always see on movies? How is the real estate in the area? I'm paying $825 for a tiny 2/1 apt with no amenities now. Looking at some websites I would pay a fraction of that for a much much better apt there. Just browsing over real estate seems as if you get a whole lot more house there in Poky then here in Tampa for the same price. The snow and cold doesn't sound that bad after reading this.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:10 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Omni, you owe it to yourself to give it a try--otherwise you'll always ask yourself, What if I'd gone to Idaho when I had the chance? It's not like Tampa is going to close its doors to you if you change your mind. But 28 is a great age to stretch your wings and do something completely different. Still, don't expect to love everything right away--the adjustment period can be a challenge. Keep an open mind!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:29 AM

Thats very good advice Clark. Thank you! I've decided that if everything works out I will take the offer. I spoke to the director of my office here and he is discussing it with the president of our dept. Hopefully I know soon. I'm hoping they offer moving assistance which is likely if they offer me the job. My company is opening a huge call center in Poky and needs experienced people to get it started. Some people have offered to come up there on a temp basis to get it started but not to stay. If it all works out I'll be making more money then anyone in my family has ever made, and it will shave years off my career plans. I hope for some kinda answer any day since my current lease is up Dec 1 and the new office there opens early Jan.

The only bad part is my girlfriend of almost two years doesn't really want to come. She has a four year old and lots of family here in Tampa. I've been thinking of popping the question soon, if she does come I will pop it then. If she doesn't come it will be a very strange feeling of sadness and being excited at the same time.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:16 AM

Well I might know sooner but I'll have an answer by 1/1. Crosses fingers.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:26 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnizero123 View Post
The only bad part is my girlfriend of almost two years doesn't really want to come. She has a four year old and lots of family here in Tampa. I've been thinking of popping the question soon, if she does come I will pop it then. If she doesn't come it will be a very strange feeling of sadness and being excited at the same time.

Oh boy--I'm not going to offer advice on that one! At least not in the Idaho forum! Best of luck!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 AM

274 posts, read 471,817 times
I told my girlfriend before we even started dating that I was moving towards Idaho. She asked me if I had ever been to Idaho, I said no. She asked me if I had family in Idaho, I said no. She then asked me what if she didn't want to go, I said "I'm gonna miss you." She is now excited about the prospect of moving to Idaho, and I ain't nowhere near popping any question to her. Eh, go figure.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:48 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Default Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevpu1967 View Post
I told my girlfriend before we even started dating that I was moving towards Idaho. She asked me if I had ever been to Idaho, I said no. She asked me if I had family in Idaho, I said no. She then asked me what if she didn't want to go, I said "I'm gonna miss you." She is now excited about the prospect of moving to Idaho, and I ain't nowhere near popping any question to her. Eh, go figure.
That picture might change if she reads the Idaho forum of City-Data!!!

And fyi, Idaho has a large LDS population and those folks are pretty strong into marriage and family. I have no reason to believe you would be ostracized by some, but you might not find yourself asked over for supper as often.

I've been reading a lot about Idaho since I drove through the state last year. It's on my short list for retirment in another 18 months. And I thought Pocatello was a particularly beautiful small city. Spent one night there, ate out, everyone I met was pleasant--geez, it ought to be the City of Smiles!

The university provides entertainment in the way of collegiate sports and, hopefully, some cultural events like plays, music, art. And the outdoors opportunities are fantastic. But it's a long way from any 'big" city --- Salt Lake City is around 3-4 hours away.

Good luck to you.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
That picture might change if she reads the Idaho forum of City-Data!!!

And fyi, Idaho has a large LDS population and those folks are pretty strong into marriage and family. I have no reason to believe you would be ostracized by some, but you might not find yourself asked over for supper as often.

I've been reading a lot about Idaho since I drove through the state last year. It's on my short list for retirment in another 18 months. And I thought Pocatello was a particularly beautiful small city. Spent one night there, ate out, everyone I met was pleasant--geez, it ought to be the City of Smiles!

The university provides entertainment in the way of collegiate sports and, hopefully, some cultural events like plays, music, art. And the outdoors opportunities are fantastic. But it's a long way from any 'big" city --- Salt Lake City is around 3-4 hours away.

The more everyone tells about it, it sounds great. Thank you

Good luck to you.
My girl is still not to fond of the idea. Currently I'm not allowed to discuss Idaho unless I get the job lol. The thing is its about the only thing I can think of most of the time. I'm trying to not get to excited in case it doesn't work out. Once I get a yes or no for sure I'm going to be quoting all this awesome info to convince her to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho