U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 PM

2,083 posts, read 2,526,851 times

Advertisements

I've been scanning the Idaho forum and it seems that many people who move to North Idaho or are from there will remark about the dark, gray overcast that dominates the sky for a large portion of the year. Many people who move to North Idaho even grow weary of the dominant overcast.

Ever wonder what causes it? I have an answer.

It's no secret that the coastal Pacific Northwest is one of the rainiest regions in the nation. From late September through early June, the Oregon and Washington coasts are hit with a procession of storms off of the Pacific Ocean.

The Cascade mountain range forms a spine up the western side of both states.

Whether or not any precipitation gets from the west side of the Cascades to the east side depends on the strength of the storm itself. If you get a strong Cold Front sweeping in out of the Gulf of Alaska, you're more likely to get some precipitation on the east side of the Cascades because the high-density cloud bank associated with the Cold Front will be stronger.

However, if the storm is not as strong, you'll get the bulk of the lower, rain-bearing cloud bank on the West side, meanwhile, the only clouds that make it east of the Cascades are the high and dreary cirrostratus and altostratus clouds which produce little to no precipitation at all but can block out the sun and make conditions quite dreary.

Most of the storms that hit the Pacific Northwest coast are not particularly strong and, therefor, the rain-bearing cloud bank stays to the west of the Cascades while the higher and gloomier clouds (altostratus and cirrostratus) are able to cross the Cascades and hang over Wenatchee, Spokane, Coeur d'Alene, etc.

Furthermore, these gloomy upper-level clouds are sometimes "caught" in eastern Washington and North Idaho by the Canadian Rockies (Bitterroot Range) that cut down into Idaho and Montana. This is why Montana and Southern Idaho are always sunnier than North Idaho and Spokane too.

When you combine the overcast with the the darker time of year, it can psychologically start to weigh on a lot of people. You either love it and deal with it or you go somewhere sunnier.

Now you know!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 01:07 AM

181 posts, read 357,621 times
I love it, but in general I live cold dark weather, did 3 years in Alaska while in the Army when we needed to do cold weather testing of the new then M1 Abrams, named the tank I was given after my favorite drink "Yukon Jack". I find this dark period restful, like the earth is sleeping.

As I learned in the Army there is no bad weather, just bad choice of clothing.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:00 PM

3,971 posts, read 11,442,665 times
It really is all about the jet stream. If it arches up and over W. WA and Vancouver Island, it likely will slide down over the Northern Rockies. While Spokane and NID are not technically the Northern Rockies, they are close enough to get the effects.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:24 AM

152 posts, read 186,701 times

Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 AM

5,531 posts, read 8,782,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk92681 View Post
I've been scanning the Idaho forum and it seems that many people who move to North Idaho or are from there will remark about the dark, gray overcast that dominates the sky for a large portion of the year. Many people who move to North Idaho even grow weary of the dominant overcast.

Ever wonder what causes it? I have an answer.

It's no secret that the coastal Pacific Northwest is one of the rainiest regions in the nation. From late September through early June, the Oregon and Washington coasts are hit with a procession of storms off of the Pacific Ocean.

The Cascade mountain range forms a spine up the western side of both states.

Whether or not any precipitation gets from the west side of the Cascades to the east side depends on the strength of the storm itself. If you get a strong Cold Front sweeping in out of the Gulf of Alaska, you're more likely to get some precipitation on the east side of the Cascades because the high-density cloud bank associated with the Cold Front will be stronger.

However, if the storm is not as strong, you'll get the bulk of the lower, rain-bearing cloud bank on the West side, meanwhile, the only clouds that make it east of the Cascades are the high and dreary cirrostratus and altostratus clouds which produce little to no precipitation at all but can block out the sun and make conditions quite dreary.

Most of the storms that hit the Pacific Northwest coast are not particularly strong and, therefor, the rain-bearing cloud bank stays to the west of the Cascades while the higher and gloomier clouds (altostratus and cirrostratus) are able to cross the Cascades and hang over Wenatchee, Spokane, Coeur d'Alene, etc.

Furthermore, these gloomy upper-level clouds are sometimes "caught" in eastern Washington and North Idaho by the Canadian Rockies (Bitterroot Range) that cut down into Idaho and Montana. This is why Montana and Southern Idaho are always sunnier than North Idaho and Spokane too.

When you combine the overcast with the the darker time of year, it can psychologically start to weigh on a lot of people. You either love it and deal with it or you go somewhere sunnier.

Now you know!
Matt, such a great, explanatory post! I hate to be nitpicking. Maybe I shouldn't...Oh, what the heck, I'll nitpick! The Bitterroots are indeed part of the Rockies, but they don't stretch down from Canada. They're "homegrown": they start in the Clark Fork Valley and continue south, straddling the ID/MT border. The Northern part of the range is known as the Coeur d'Alenes in NID, but across the border the Montanans call them the Bitterroots. Same mountains. The range north of the Clark Fork Valley is known as the Cabinets. They're also part of the Rockies. Further west you have the Selkirks, straddling the border into Canada.

I know one thing is what a large, regional map will tell you, and another thing is the terminology locals use. But the Bitterroots are definitely not Canadian! Our place sits at the northernmost tip of that great range.

Oh, one more thing. "You either love it and deal with it or you go somewhere sunnier." I think there is a third option: You put up with it because you have to...

Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 AM

19,363 posts, read 13,027,109 times
It's 4 degrees below zero here on a beautiful sunny morning with no wind chill.
I would gladly trade the sunshine for 10 more degrees of warmth right now!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Matt, such a great, explanatory post! I hate to be nitpicking. Maybe I shouldn't...Oh, what the heck, I'll nitpick! The Bitterroots are indeed part of the Rockies, but they don't stretch down from Canada. They're "homegrown": they start in the Clark Fork Valley and continue south, straddling the ID/MT border. The Northern part of the range is known as the Coeur d'Alenes in NID, but across the border the Montanans call them the Bitterroots. Same mountains. The range north of the Clark Fork Valley is known as the Cabinets. They're also part of the Rockies. Further west you have the Selkirks, straddling the border into Canada.

I know one thing is what a large, regional map will tell you, and another thing is the terminology locals use. But the Bitterroots are definitely not Canadian! Our place sits at the northernmost tip of that great range.

Oh, one more thing. "You either love it and deal with it or you go somewhere sunnier." I think there is a third option: You put up with it because you have to...
I don't mind the "nitpickyness" if it has a point, and yours did. So thanks for that!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:54 PM

Awesome chart Vapour_Trail !

Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 PM

3,110 posts, read 9,158,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It's 4 degrees below zero here on a beautiful sunny morning with no wind chill.
I would gladly trade the sunshine for 10 more degrees of warmth right now!
This is why I love the clouds...sun is all fine and good, but the cloudier/warmer it is, well...keeps the heating bills down...

Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 AM

19,363 posts, read 13,027,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
This is why I love the clouds...sun is all fine and good, but the cloudier/warmer it is, well...keeps the heating bills down...
Yup. In a month, we will get some added warmth along with any sunshine that comes our way. Let the shortest days of the year be the gloomiest, since it's going to be dark any way. I'll take the extra warmth.

That's a very interesting map, Vapor trail! The center portion- theoretical amount of sunshine vs. actual sunshine, was especially revealing to me. Idaho is sunnier than other states that lie along the same latitude, but Seattle gets even less sun than the possible max, which is also lower than the Idaho max. Now, that's some gloom for you! And Yuma is sunnier that Florida. Most of all, Alaska gets the least sun of any state. I wonder what effect that has on it's citizens...
I suffer from SADD, so I sure wouldn't do well up there....

Last edited by banjomike; 01-04-2013 at 12:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or