Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,290 times

Advertisements

Kelli Henderson, I live in Moscow and have not liked it at all. It is beautiful with the rolling Palouse hills and the sunsets are often gorgeous. However, it is a small town (rather liberal considering Idaho in general), with virtually no good restaurants and no good shopping. Additionally, it is not very close to anywhere. Driving to CDA or Spokane is about a 1 3/4 hours drive. Additionally, houses prices and property taxes are outrageous especially for what little the town has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 09:58 AM

853 posts, read 968,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli Henderson View Post

wurd4wurd I am so appreciative of your comments! If where you are living now is more beautiful then where you came from then I know it must be a slice of heaven. But I do have a question...do you see majestic mountains from where you are? And what about snow? Also, when you say expensive will you give me the heads up on renting in the area?

Does anyone care to comment on Moscow or a location near the Sawtooth Mountains?
Thanks!
Kelli, we don't see towering mountains from our home. Our home rests at approximately 2300 feet above sea level. Mica Hill (the tallest mountain visible from our home) is considerably higher than that - how much higher - I'm not sure.

Snow - last winter was the best for snowfall since moving here three years ago. We had some good storms (not sure how many) with 12 or more inches of snow. The previous two winters were pretty wimpy, but again please keep in mind that we are from Vermont and are used to some pretty impressive storms (3+ feet at a time!) and when it's not snowing, temps (in Vermont) tend to drop to -30 degrees Fahrenheit or lower for chunks at a time. So, we actually consider the winters here quite mild by comparison.

One thing that is pretty neat is that local meteorologists are able to provide fairly accurate daily forecasts at what elevation to expect snow. So... it is not unusual to have our neighbors (who live a little further down the road and are located at a higher elevation) get snow when we don't!

I really can't provide accurate information regarding rental properties in the area. If you're looking to live out of town - in the country, I would guess that you may find rentals more reasonably priced. My suggestion would be to contact a local real estate agent (at least initially) in order to begin your search.

As a side note, about a year and half ago, my adult daughter rented a one bedroom apartment at Rockwood Lodge (located in town) for around $650 a month. As I recall, two bedroom apartments were somewhere around $750 a month at that time. This facility is quite nice and has a swimming pool and fitness center among other amenities. I believe they also have a program where you can sign an agreement to put aside some of the rent paid ($100 a month - I think) toward the purchase/building of a home within one of their subdivisions.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:59 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurd4wurd View Post
One thing that is pretty neat is that local meteorologists are able to provide fairly accurate daily forecasts at what elevation to expect snow. So... it is not unusual to have our neighbors (who live a little further down the road and are located at a higher elevation) get snow when we don't!
Can you send you meteorologists down my way? My best way to find out the weather is to look out the window It's can be in a four hour deluge of rain and they will say we have a 30% chance of rain.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:58 PM

853 posts, read 968,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Can you send you meteorologists down my way? My best way to find out the weather is to look out the window It's can be in a four hour deluge of rain and they will say we have a 30% chance of rain.

I definitely sympathize with you. It's certainly a bummer when you're expecting sunshine and get buckets and buckets of rain instead. It seems to me that our local forecasts are usually more accurate in the colder months when snow is involved.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 7,311 times
Sorry for the delay in my reply. I grew up in Idaho, but moved after high school. I'm in Southern CA right now, and while I like a lot of things about living here, I really miss a lot of things about ID. There were just so many fun things to do growing up there.

I'm sure that sounds funny, most people would generally agree that there is more to do in California than rural Idaho, but I miss being able to drive 5 minutes and be completely isolated in the woods/mountains. I miss being able to hike/camp/fish/snowboard at amazing locations at the drop of a hat. I also miss waking up to the tetons and watching sunsets over the sawtooths. I am also sick of sometimes overwhelming superficiality.

But as always there are drawbacks. The weather is often non-ideal, some people, while good-intentioned, can be pushy and somewhat close-minded. Not much as far as shopping/dining.

**Disclaimer- There are some generalizations in this post. You obviously can't use them to make decisions about individuals, but I think they are general trends worth noting.
My comments relate to south-eastern Idaho, I don't know much about living in the rest of the state.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:14 PM

8 posts, read 44,288 times
I grew up in southeast Idaho and have lived in Jackson Hole for the past 13 years. I work over in southeast Idaho and I drive through the Teton basin daily. I do not think you can find a better place to live if you want real mountain views when you wake up and look out the kitchen window every morning...also the rest of Idaho ie. Moscow, Sandpoint, CDA, SunValley, Boise , McCall are ok but none of it compares to the views in the Teton basin. This is MOUNTAIN Living! Rents might be in your range also. Try the north end of Teton valley by Tetonia or even out of the basin down by Newdale and Teton. The Teton Range is still in sight from these little rural towns and prices are dirt cheap compared to many places across America. I rent out a two bdrm in Teton for 500 to 600 a month and I am sure there are others that rent for close to that. The schools are great all throughout the area by city standards and crime is relative. The weather keeps the riff raff OUT. Let me know if you need more info. Best of Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Relocating to Idaho-img_0014.jpg   Relocating to Idaho-moonjackson1.jpg   Relocating to Idaho-brockspicstetons051.jpg  

Old 11-06-2007, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,155 times
I have lived in the teton valley area for the last 13 yrs, it is a nice place. People are friendly, and it definately is a small town rural area. It is a beautiful place to live espically in the summer. It gets really cold in the winter and has a pretty stretched out winter (October-April and sometimes May) This year winter hasn't really hit yet (meaning snow). You might have a hard time finding affordable rent- I would look into St. Anthony, Rexburg, Rigby and surrounding areas. I am not real sure on the rent in Rexburg, but the others are quite reasonable. The areas are nice and have a little bit shorter winters. Rexburg is about 15 min. from St. Anthony and Rigby and has eccentials (Gold's gym, Walmart, movie theaters, resturants, K-mart, ) and is growing all the time with quite a few little stores popping up. Rigby is 15 min. from both rexburg and Idaho Falls(IF), and in IF you should be able to find anything you need. All have that small town feel, and lots of friendly people.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:21 PM

17 posts, read 174,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli Henderson View Post
I want to get up everyday and look at majestic mountains and I'd like to experience all 4 seasons. We want snow!!
Lived in Priest River for 4 years and Idaho Falls for almost 15 years. Planning to move to Driggs end of next summer. If you're looking for 4 3-month seasons you are going to be disappointed. Winter lasts anywhere from 6-9 months. Freezes can occur any day of the year (have seen several 4th of July celebrations canceled due to weather). If you are going to be out in the evening, you'll want to take a jacket. The Boise area has a little closer to 4 distinct seasons, but they don't get all that much snow.

As someone who went from the Pacific Coast to Idaho Falls just in time for a VERY cold winter (bunny rabbits froze on the pass between Idaho Falls and Butte, MT, on Christmas Eve!), learn about and invest in some proper winter clothing. Learn how to layer your clothes. The right clothing will make adapting to the cold much more pleasant!! If you've lived in Florida all your life it's doubtful you have much that can be worn other than maybe July and August.

Study up on things like how to winterize your car (if you have 30-weight oil in your engine, you'll go out one morning and not be able to start your car. Neither will you be able to get the old oil out in order to put the right oil in!!) and what to look for in a house.

Idaho has some fabulous places, lots of outdoor things to do, etc. Just be prepared for considerably more cold than you thought was possible!

Best of luck.
Kathleen

Old 11-09-2007, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 6,235 times
I am looking to relocate to Idaho. Can you tell me a location where there are mild temperatures like 67 degrees during the day all year round and the cost of living is inexpensive. Please repond.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 6,235 times
Thank you all for your help. You guys are funny too. It is too hot or too cold where I live now...I'm looking for 67 during the day---40 at night. I will also be changing my job --where are ther good job opportunities? What would the lowest cost for a house be in Idaho?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho