Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:40 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning a trip to the western Montana/ northern Idaho area at the end of May, with the express purpose of figuring out whether to relocate to the area, and if so, what part of it. In researching real estate, climate, and other factors, I have noticed that the cost for a small home on 5-15 acres seems to be much lower in the Sandpoint area than a lot of other places, most notably the Palouse hills area and some more affluent(if there is such a thing) areas in Montana. I have seen several dwellings(admittedly, many are not ideal) on 5 or more acres listed in the Sandpoint area between $55,000 and $150,000. Of course, the internet being what it is, I thought I might pose a question here, to get input from folks in the area. Are property values really that much lower in the Sandpoint area than elsewhere in western MT/NID?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 12:51 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
My experience with property values in the area is already getting stale (from 2007-08), but there are some general trends and facts that probably don't change much: I found that property values in NW MT are generally somewhat higher than NID, and at least in 2008 there were fewer listings than in NID. One explanation: There is simply less private land available in NW MT--if you look at a Forest Service map, you'll see how few little white squares (private land) there are in NW MT compared to NID. Very educational! As a matter of fact, make sure you pick up FS maps at ranger stations in each area you're considering. (They cover entire counties and not just forest service lands, just in case you were wondering!) It'll make it a lot easier to track down the listings, and they're fun to have, anyway.

In 2007-08 I looked at numerous listings from Sandpoint to Bonner that looked ridiculously inexpensive, and all the cheap ones had problems: seasonal creek running right through the only flat area; no flat area at all; 7 miles of unmaintained dirt access road; access only through somebody else's property; under power lines; squeezed in between two rail lines; that kind of stuff. Once you start looking, you'll see it all! And most of it you won't even know until you're there, feet on the ground. And then there'll be that one gorgeous piece of land/home that just came on the market/price lowered, and the owner is desperate to sell, so it isn't always true that the inexpensive places are flawed. But you won't know until you're actually there.

This wasn't exactly what you were asking, but it may help some .

Old 02-10-2013, 09:07 PM

332 posts, read 483,059 times
My wife and I will be taking a hard look at the Sandpoint/Bonner's Ferry area in mid-March, with a local tour guide. He's also going to take us into NW Montana to show us around there as well. I'm not sure what your criteria are, but I'd be more than happy to share our experience with you when we return.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:33 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post

In 2007-08 I looked at numerous listings from Sandpoint to Bonner that looked ridiculously inexpensive, and all the cheap ones had problems: seasonal creek running right through the only flat area; no flat area at all; 7 miles of unmaintained dirt access road; access only through somebody else's property; under power lines; squeezed in between two rail lines; that kind of stuff. Once you start looking, you'll see it all! And most of it you won't even know until you're there, feet on the ground. And then there'll be that one gorgeous piece of land/home that just came on the market/price lowered, and the owner is desperate to sell, so it isn't always true that the inexpensive places are flawed. But you won't know until you're actually there.

This wasn't exactly what you were asking, but it may help some .
This still seems to hold pretty true. We've looked up some places for friends lately, and the cheap places we've looked up online have all been pretty badly flawed when we've gone and looked in person. Real dogs.

Not that you won't or can't find an amazing deal, since a couple friends of ours DID just come across one screaming deal, but it's going to take extensive hunting and feet-on-the-ground searching the area and patience.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:44 AM

aiden_is, I would appreciate that.

CFF and SOS, I was afraid what you guys said would be the case. Not surprising, really. I think we will need to rent a place while we look locally if we relocate to the area, although rent seems higher there than here, about 2-300 dollars more a month for comparable housing. Cost of research, I suppose.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 AM

332 posts, read 483,059 times
Don't forget about adjusting for that state income tax, since we're not used to having one being from Texas. It will take a chunk out of what you can afford to buy/rent.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 AM

Yeah, we have one here in MO. Along with real estate taxes, sales taxes, and personal property taxes. And a 41.4 cent gas tax, too. I think we will find a net decrease in tax burden relocating to Idaho, although I would pay a bit more taxes if necessary to live somewhere where I can get far enough into the woods that I don't see anyone else for a week, if I choose to. Can't do that in MO. Too crowded here for my taste. In fact, I was looking at Wyoming, for population density and tax reasons, but my wife refuses to live anywhere she doesn't see enough rainfall in the climate data to support her(our) gardening addiction! I don't blame her, hence our shift in focus onto NID and the Bitteroot and Flathead valleys in western MT.

As you might be able to tell, I am looking at the area for the elbow room and hunting/camping/fishing opportunities, and she is looking for a place to garden and go hiking(in addition to my specialties). We both hate the hot, humid summers here in the Ozarks, and miss real winters. NID and western MT are about the only places in the US that I know of that fit our criteria. employment is not an issue, as she will be tranferring with her current employer, and I have a varied enough skillset that I have never been anywhere that I could not find work. Of course, it hasn't always been what I wanted or paid what it should have, but I have always been able to stay busy.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:05 PM

356 posts, read 520,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
This still seems to hold pretty true. We've looked up some places for friends lately, and the cheap places we've looked up online have all been pretty badly flawed when we've gone and looked in person. Real dogs.
Our experience, like Clark's, is a bit older- a year and a half ago-but we found the same to be true. The places that were cheap were cheap for a reason. We didn't find cheap, but we have found this is a great place to live.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:30 PM

So what is an average price(not hard numbers, just a ballpark) for 5 to 10 acres with a 1000-1200 sq. ft. house in decent condition? Say within 35 miles of Sandpoint. Not the high-end areas, of course, but not the "ghetto", either. We don't need hoity-toity millionaire neighbors, but we don't need meth heads next door, either(I tend to be more willing to take out the trash than most folks).

Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
You've given me an excuse to pick up my favorite hobby from the spring of 2008: looking for property in North Idaho online! That's the only downside of having found one's dream property: no more reason to go on property hunting! Lemme see what I can come up with, just for the fun of it...

And, I might add, we did find the exact piece of land we were looking for, and at a price we could afford, so in our case it was doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho