Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:27 AM

4 posts, read 13,937 times

Advertisements

I am preparing to write a fictitious book, and my two main characters are Pocatello High School students. Unfortunately, I currently have neither the time or money to travel to Pocatello and experience it firsthand. I would really appreciate any feedback from people who are familiar with Pocatello and/or Pocatello High School.
At the moment, I have just one specific question: Where is it likely that one student would wait for another to receive a ride home from school? i.e.--Parking lot, courtyard, nearby intersection...
Of course, I will gladly consider ANY information or opinions about Pocatello. I have just two requirements: If it's a statement of fact, please be accurate. If it's an opinion, please support it with fact.
I will sincerely appreciate all feedback. If my novel gets published, I'll acknowledge anyone who would like to be named. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 04:48 PM

679 posts, read 811,897 times
I lived in Pocatello for 6 years and I found the cost of living to be very reasonable, the crime rate low, the social activities limited unless you're mormon or connected to Idaho State University. It also seemed, in my opinion, that the long time residents had a sort of resentment to newcommers if they didnt belong to their church.

Pocatello High School is in the older part of town, and it seemed that parking was limited. Pocatello is not that large so I guess you could always bike or walk. I had several employees who did just that.

Idaho State University provided a much needed influence on what would otherwise be a very closed minded place. It also provides many jobs that Pocatello needs. All told, it was a pretty good place to live.

Good luck with your book.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:09 PM

Thank you for your feedback, Mortgageboss. I sincerely appreciate it. I found your comments about the local Mormon culture especially interesting and valuable.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:54 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,661,729 times
I've lived in Pocatello for over a year and have not found that "resentment" about being non-mormon.

Pocatello, while still a small town, is growing rapidly with much new development, especially along the North Yellowstone corridor into suburb Chubbuck.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:37 AM

Thanks for your perspective, pw72. I hope to hear from others on the Mormon "resentment" issue to get an idea on whether or not it's just an isolated situation. I'd also be interested to hear what the rapid growth of Pocatello is attributed to.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:24 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,661,729 times
Idaho in general attracts many who move here from more expensive areas such as Southern California or the Seattle area. (Although I hear the migration is slowing somewhat as the housing markets in California continue to stagnate.)

I'm not an economics expert, but my guess is the university, the medical community, some new industrial jobs, and newcomers looking for a slower pace of life all contribute to the growth.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:54 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times
I left Pocatello in 1990 to enter the Army as a Registered Nurse after graduating from ISU. I wasn't Mormon and never had a problem with that from other people (ie being ostracized). Used to drive past Poky High all the time. I remember a few rustic bars (hole in the wall type places) in the area - back then there was a big railroad influence - not sure which company.

To answer your question - the intersection of Arthur and Center (street) would likely be where two Poky High students would meet.

I liked Pocatello - especially from April to September. Beautiful blue skies during the Spring/Summer/Fall. I remember crisp Fall afternoons. As a college student on a tight budget, I hated the winters - tried to do whatever I could to save $$$ on the heating bill.

After living all over the world, I still have fond memories of the place. Doubt if I'd ever go back, even to visit anymore. I tried that (visiting) once in 1999, and it was kind of depressing to see.

Not much changes there. I couldn't see living there all my life as some friends have.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:01 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,111 times
Watch the movie, "Napoleon Dynamite". I believe it was filmed there. Also, I think you'd be best served using a location in your book that you've actually been to.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:29 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Watch the movie, "Napoleon Dynamite". I believe it was filmed there. Also, I think you'd be best served using a location in your book that you've actually been to.
Napoleon Dynamite was filmed further south in the small town of Preston, ID Have to agree with your suggestion that the writer try to visit the location.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times
After reading this thread, I had to revisit the Idaho State Univ website for old-times sake. I was saddened to read that Ford Swetnam, one of my professors, had died of prostate cancer in 2002. Five years ago. Ford was one of the area's top poets/writers. His writings really reflected the Pocatello area (railroads, life in the Big Sky country) - I'd recommend anyone writing about S.E. Idaho review the works of Ford Swetnam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho