U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 AM

65 posts, read 67,437 times

Advertisements

Good day everyone. I woke up about 2 months ago an it was 20 below zero and said, "I'm 48 and getting tired of the cold winters". What steered me to Idaho.........or even northern Idaho has got to be a calling.

I have spent the last 2 months studying this site along with reading EVERYTHING that I can find on the net.......plus I have a 4 inch high stack on my desk of info on your area.

The interest I have is I am a motorcycle guy and the awesome pics of all the scenic byways is keeping me up at night!!!!!!!!!!

The problems that lay ahead for me are these.

My grandfather started the family business in 1939...............I am the 3rd generation now and looking for a change........er.........not be in the job I'm in now.

Pride goes a long way in owning a family business.........but I am from the old school of thinking and this new progressive way................it ain't makin' it in my book. So it will be hard to let the place go. But I'm getting this pull..................go west,man!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, by the way, I own a small school bus fleet of 10 buses and contract with our school district.

Love my employees and 98% of the parents and kids...............but as you can see in the papers everyday.........it is getting a little too stressful to put up with today.

SOOOO, I will be making the ride in June or July to stay out in the BF area for 2 weeks and see what it looks like.

Getting out of my business is a lot more involved than getting in to business. But if it all went well, I would have the opportunity to move just about anywhere and not have to worry about working full time or at least work for a smaller wage.

Although I have 27 years of experience of managing a business that is tied with the schools and I do all my own mechanic work, plus computer routing...........I would have those talents to maybe....maybe....go into the field again in some capacity in the BF area.

So I will be looking for land, housing, and some sort of work.

I know all about the weather you have for the most part..........did I tell you I live in Wisconsin and it is currently 1 below zero right now on the second day of spring!!!!!!!

Any input is appreciated. I guess all that I can say in closing is look for a brown CanAM spyder with a trailer rolling into the area in June or July.

Thanks all, Mitch Kieffer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 10:41 AM

148 posts, read 412,425 times
I had the same "go west young man" call several years back. Moved here from northern Indiana. Love it here! Employment is an issue, I haven't been able to go ahead with our plans of growing nursery stock do to economy. Click the link and put in zip code 83805, should give you some ideas of available jobs. Good Luck.
Idaho Department of Labor > Home

Old 03-21-2013, 11:13 AM

25,384 posts, read 16,318,821 times
Git-R-Done! If you're into motorcycles, you really should think about some sort of dual-sport or adventure touring bike when you get here. The nicest parts of Idaho start where the pavement ends.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the job info. may check craigslist also for the area.

Always dreamed of bagging groceries or bring carts in from the parking lot...........REALLY.

I like people and most people .....especially seniors get a kick out of me..........I relate to them!!!!!

I owned 2 triumph tigers a time back.........sure would like to dual purpose some of those area.

Hopefully could find residence/land out of the city limits for sure. Up the Moyie possibly or down river to the south.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:09 PM

5,531 posts, read 8,792,781 times
Welcome to C-D and the Idaho forum, hdmod! Moyie Springs is a beautiful area, and now is a good time to look for land! Is your summer trip your first scouting trip, or will you actually be looking to purchase property? If you're just coming out to look around, 2 weeks will be enough for you to get an impression of the area. Use Sandpoint as your home base, and drive around, have fun, and explore all the little beautiful roads from north to south, and stop by local real estate offices and pick up flyers. Then, when you come home, start the real property research and narrow areas down.

If, on the other hand, you're coming out in June/July to find that piece of property and actually buy it, here's what I'd suggest: Start doing Internet property research now! Make a list of "must haves" and "don't wants," so you can quickly communicate to a realtor what you're looking for (such as : Want: 5+ acres, well, level area, less than 1 mile from county maintained road, river view, whatever. Don't want: close to county road, close to railroad, power lines overhead, and so forth). The way I prepared for my big property-hunting trip before buying our land in Clark Fork (which we love) was to go on Realtor.com and find places that looked interesting (no Zillow then). The next step would be to contact a realtor who represents one of your favorite places, and get a rapport going with him or her. If they're not responsive, get someone else. Even if you prefer a place they're not representing, they will do the work for you through another realtor, as long as it is in the general area. From then on they will send you property info as soon as something comes on the market, but you'll also want to keep up your own research. Send for (through US Forest Service) a Forest Service Map with section, township and range #s, so you can pinpoint exactly where the properties are, and then go on Google Earth and take a closer look. Narrow it down to 15-20 properties before your trip, and out of those you might find that 5 will be viable possibilties, once you're in NID and can take a look for yourself.

This is an exciting time for you! Best of luck!

Old 03-23-2013, 07:49 PM

28 posts, read 54,761 times
CFF, your posts are always so helpful and informative. What you are suggesting is exactly what we did to find our little slice of paradise.
Good luck on the property search, Hdmod, you will find the people of North Idaho to be wonderful, and the scenery second to none.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:20 AM

Thanks for all that info,people. Doing and have contacted some realators and have a list I keep updated weekly of land and some homes. Winter here has entered the unbearable stage now. Can't wait to head out west. Also have found some part time things to maybe do when the time comes.

Really looking forward to meeting some of you folks

Mitch Kieffer

Old 03-25-2013, 12:54 PM

148 posts, read 412,425 times
is hdmod for a harley?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:47 PM

I used to own Harleys and triumphs in the past.....one I had "modded" to the max..... but now have "graduated" to the "old man" style ride The CanAm 2012 RT-S with all the goodies!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Wisconsinite looking toward Bonners Ferry area-535675_448020988542514_766721637_n.jpg  

Last edited by hdmod; 04-23-2013 at 09:08 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 01:49 PM

Wish I knew how to move my 1 bedroom log home with me if I go.

I am sure they can build one out there if it comes to that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or