Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:44 PM

39,805 posts, read 26,295,885 times

Advertisements

I'd say Post Falls has much more of a "suburban" feel to in than CDA. CDA has an older downtown, with more established, well kept, I guess you'd say "gentrified" homes. And a more vibrant, active downtown. Also far more tourists, which can be good or bad, depending on your point of view. There are quite a number of art galleries, specialized shops and restaurants/night clubs in the downtown core. As well as a great downtown park, beach access and lots of downtown events on the streets on the weekends. Again, good or bad depending on your point of view.

Post Falls, IMO, is much more of a bedroom/residential area. The main business section is far more strip malls than CDA's downtown. Lots tend to be larger, homes generally newer and things are a bit more spread out. Traffic is much less of an issue in PF, you can be in the country or on I-90 in about 5 miles from most anywhere.

All a question of what you're looking for. I seem to recall from your previous thread(S)? that you were considering some smaller towns? Honestly, both cities are nice and have a lot to offer. Due to the active downtown core, downtown CDA almost has more of a "small town" feel than does PF, IMO. Once you get out of the downtown core, both are pretty similar. The more we understand about what you're looking for the better advise we can give.

Even in CDA, you can be in the National Forest and far from people in about 15 minutes.

No permit required to own a handgun in Idaho. Walk into a gun store, fill out your 4473 and have a NICS run, you can be out in 15 minutes. Welcome to a free state! A concealled carry permit is easy to get. You need some sort of training (even an old NY hunter safety class cert will do), be fingerprinted and hand over the money and you should have it in about 90 days, maybe sooner. Most of the delay is the federal background check. If you get one, I recommend Center Target Sports in Post Falls for a class. Great instructor and range. W/O a permit you can open carry anywhere except where permitted by law (federal buildings, schools, court houses). It's not common to see open carry in CDA, but not unheard of. It's quite common in smaller towns, and also during hunting season. Lots of bow hunters carry a handgun and might have it on while shopping, etc.

With regard to permits, many states don't honor Idaho's because it is so easy to get, and does not mandate a shooting part of the training class. WA is one of those states. A lot of people get both ID and Utah permits since the Utah one is honored more places. Idaho's legislature is working on an "enhanced permit" bill that would require a bit more training, but be recognized in a lot more places. The state legislature is very pro gun.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 04-22-2013 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 04:47 PM

74 posts, read 277,530 times
I haven't read all of the posts but read my posts on this thread here. Maybe you can stop before its too late.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...r-d-alene.html

Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 AM

35 posts, read 131,237 times
Might anyone be able to possibly tell me anything about Rockwood Lodge Apartments? RockWood Lodge VII Apartment Homes Coeur dAlene, Idaho I am having trouble even getting realtors to talk to me about renting a house since I am out of state. We wanted a house - but may have to go with something like this (condo / townhouse) since it is "corporate" and a little more impartial to those coming from out of state.

However, I know some of these places always look a lot nicer than that actually are. Was hoping someone knew whether or not this particular place was a nice community or a dump. Also, if anyone knows any condo/townhouse community places that they would recommend - someplace quiet and well kept - I would be grateful for the suggestions.

Again, thank you for all of your continued help during this process.

- Rob

Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 AM

35 posts, read 131,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
I haven't read all of the posts but read my posts on this thread here. Maybe you can stop before its too late.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...r-d-alene.html
Remington - I appreciate your feedback. Certainly some of the things you touched on in your post concerns me. However, I think you and I may be internally looking for two different types of places.

I am looking for someplace that is politically and morally conservative, someplace that is scenic, quiet, and embraces similar values that I do. Here where I live now in the Northeast I have none of those things. Where I live it is ultra liberal, high crime, no one goes to church, its loud, dirty, the government is always up in your business, oh and did I mention it is extremely liberal?

The job issue won't really affect me because I own my consulting business where I can work from pretty much anywhere.

The snow issue you mentioned concerns me, and I am hoping others here can jump on and offer some rebuttal to the idea that snow plowing in CDA is something to be desired. Where I live now, the snow plowing is meticulous and done with impressive efficiency. Maybe I am spoiled by the 24 hour around the clock snowplowing during snow storms that keep our roads clear even in some of the worst conditions. I can accept not living with that level of efficiency, but not plowing for 2-3 days until AFTER a storm seems pretty bad.

I had to chuckle when you mentioned to stay away from the woods behind Lowes because there was a stabbing there 2 years ago. Hell, if I go a week without someone being stabbed or robbed in my neighborhood it was a good week! In fact, I may have to go to those woods and tell those homeless people to get on their game, that one stabbing in two years is really giving them a bad reputation for being too nice. I kid I kid - obviously I am elated to see that level of crime is considered dangerous.

The biggest concern you raised for me was the spillover from Spokane. This has been the ONE thing on my mind that has been bothering me the most. On one hand, I like that it is close enough to Spokane to be able to drive there regularly to do "bigger city stuff", but on the other hand the crime and big city life spilling the 20 miles or so into CDA has been a concern of mine. I was hoping that Spokane being so close to CDA was more of a benefit for CDA than a hindrance, but if the spillover is as bad you mention it is certainly something that concerns me.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 AM

820 posts, read 1,729,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanswinter View Post
Might anyone be able to possibly tell me anything about Rockwood Lodge Apartments? RockWood Lodge VII Apartment Homes Coeur dAlene, Idaho I am having trouble even getting realtors to talk to me about renting a house since I am out of state. We wanted a house - but may have to go with something like this (condo / townhouse) since it is "corporate" and a little more impartial to those coming from out of state.

However, I know some of these places always look a lot nicer than that actually are. Was hoping someone knew whether or not this particular place was a nice community or a dump. Also, if anyone knows any condo/townhouse community places that they would recommend - someplace quiet and well kept - I would be grateful for the suggestions.

Again, thank you for all of your continued help during this process.

- Rob
REALTOR's don't generally do rentals in our area, property management companies do. Just a FYI. I am sorry your having such a hard time. I would be searching Craigslist and search property management CDA and look at their listings and call them.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:23 PM

414 posts, read 1,089,155 times
It's certainly a concern regarding the "spillover" from Spokane. A ton of people in Spokane prefer to get out of their crowded city events and come enjoy our city events, which then become crowded. I have also heard from official sources in Coeur d'Alene that the lake sees quite a few more boats from Washington than it does from Idaho...we're just that awesome.

But as far as crime? Crime in Coeur d'Alene has remained pretty steady over the last 5-10 years, despite our population increasing and the number of people from Spokane coming in. I'll compare some stats from the CdA Police website.

2007:
Total Burglaries reported: 558
Total Meth charges: 78
Total Marijuana charges: 262
DUI: 620
Felony Arrests: 791
Misdemeanor Arrests: 3,570
Traffic Citations: 7,016

2011:
Total Burglaries reported: 894
Total Meth charges: 75
Total Marijuana charges: 250
DUI: 294
Felony Arrests: 562
Misdemeanor Arrests: 2,632
Traffic Citations: 6,669

These stats are pretty level despite adding almost 10% to the city's population during those years (going from around 41,000 people to almost 45,000 people). In every case, crime is down slightly from 2007 levels, except in the case of burglaries, which can possibly be explained by the economic catastrophe the entire nation is experiencing. As remington79 noted, the number of burglaries (auto, business, home) can fluctuate pretty wildly as well.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:05 PM

117 posts, read 248,197 times
We went through a rental management company. I listed a few. Somebody said those were not any good and referred another. I would love to list the one I went through but my family and I are very private people. So all I can say is please contact the ones I listed and ask if a walk through is required. The rental management company we went through were fantastic and they did not require a walk through. They showed us many pictures of the house before we signed the contract. We did this from out of state. Our place was built in 2010. We flew in on a plane and went directly to the management company and picked up our keys. Took 20mins. We moved in that day.
We had a problem with the a/c a few months later and they came out the same day and fixed it. Everything has been great. But we are moving into a more permanent home soon. They even shoveled the snow out of our driveway.
I have rented for almost 18 years. I am almost 40 years old now. We currently own a home in Vegas and use a rental company.(here’s why: we don't want to have to deal with the tenant directly when it comes to fixing stuff. It's easier because we're out of state. Plus a contract protects us, they sign a year lease and your mortgage is covered now-yes renters can skip out but that contract holds up in court) For the renter the contract protects you. The owner can't sell the house from under you while your renting. They can't raise the rent on you if your locked in a lease. If something breaks they have to pay for it(if in contract).
Rockwood Lodge Apartments are nice and in a very peaceful area. There are two schools nearby. They have garages.
That’s all I know though.
I would start sending emails out to these companies and ask as many questions as you need answered. Sometimes they take a while to answer back but that is how CDA is. It's slower pace here. My husband and I have to get use to it because we come from a fast pace, need and answer now, I’ll run you off the road kind of city.lol

So glad I am here now. There is so much to learn at age 40. And God knows I need to slow down.
I hope everything works out for you!

Old 05-15-2013, 04:51 PM

Is that 294 DUIs just for Coeur d Alene? I don't want to say how I know this but I do know there were a lot more DUIs in 2011 than the 294. But then again I'm seeing Kootenai County as a whole and not just the city. That goes for other crime as well. I can also tell that some of the crimes have gone down because the people in there are no longer getting bailed out by friends or family since there is already other stuff pending. I will say I know all of this NOT because of illegal done on my part.

Otherwise this is a nice conservative city. The snow plowing thing is from what I remember from growing up. I was in one of the few red counties in the northeast in a little town of 1800-2000 people and they were able to keep up with the snow.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:09 PM

414 posts, read 1,089,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
Is that 294 DUIs just for Coeur d Alene? I don't want to say how I know this but I do know there were a lot more DUIs in 2011 than the 294.
Yes, that's just the number of DUI arrests made by the Coeur d'Alene Police Department. It wouldn't include any arrests made by Kootenai County Sheriff's Department or Idaho State Police.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:14 PM

that's what I thought. I was seeing everything from all over the county ranging from Spirit Lake down to Worely from everyone ranging from ISP, KCSO, PFPD, etc. and Tribal PD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho