Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:30 PM

5 posts, read 5,154 times

Advertisements

Hello, Hydrodiesel here.
I have been reading all of these wonderful postings.
In about a week, my Dad and I will be heading to the Grangeville area, and the sourounding areas, just to check things out.

Currently, I am 57 yo. I only want to work until I am 62 (but wish I could get out earlier). Have another 5 years at my current employment, to make 20 years.
My trade is an Industrial Maintenance Machinist and welder / Fabricator.

My 87 yo Dad, is going to give me most of his machine shop tools, lathes, milling machines, drilling machines, etc.
This is in addition to all of the machine and welding shop equipment I have myself.

I finally figured out what the initials CDA stand for, but am not familiar with the others, like NID. What town is that ?

I too, am totally fed up with the "Peoples Republic of Kalifornia". Currently live in the Napa Valley, but must commute to "Bezerkeley" (Berkeley), for my employment..... a real hell hole.

Lived in Alaska for 4 years. The US Coast Guard was nice enough to send me there !
Half time spent on Kodiak Island, and the rest of time in Juneau.

Would like to find a place where I can have a decent size metal building, insulated of course, in order to have plenty of room to put all the machine and welding machines. 2, maybe 3 acres, with a small home. This would be a location that I could provide machine and welding shop services to farmers, ranchers, or the logging community.

Ideally, it would be nice to be out of town several miles, instead of right in a town.

I have been looking at maps and different areas to possibly live.
The towns that are in, and around the Nez Pierce Indian Reservation, does one own the land that you purchase ? Are there conflicts or problems with that situation ?

I would like to keep the snow level to a minimum, and know the father North one goes, the more (snow), you’re going to get.

I already have it in my mind, that I will be moving to (someplace) in Idaho, I just don't know exactly where yet. I want to be around people who are (I would think) conservative, Patriot type, Christian, and REALLY believe in the 2nd Amendment!

Thanking you in advance for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 11:32 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,974 times
NID = North Idaho
Where that is exactly is steeped in controversy!
Where does North Idaho start when northbound?

As far as acreage you can get out of just about any city in 5 minutes.
We tend to get snow in NID

Old 06-25-2013, 11:38 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,748 times
Hey there, Hydrodiesel....

Can't answer your questions about land in and around the Nez Pierce reservation, but I can tell you that it sounds like you have a great plan. Folks on this Forum who live in or near the Grangeville area should be able to shed more light on your vision.

Yeah....I'm pretty sure you'll be around people who think like you do....Conservative and christian patriots who believe deepley in the 2nd Amendment.

I'm up in Sandpoint - that's in NID which stands for North Idaho - and folks up here love this country just like you do.

Keep us posted on your visit(s) and thoughts....

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 07-02-2013, 09:58 AM

23 posts, read 57,264 times
Smile Why Idaho???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Welcome to North Idaho! As someone who escaped SoCal 6 years ago, I can tell you that it does take a little time to decompress and adjust to a different, much better, way of life.

Driving slower will become a necessity, in many ways because of the deer. I myself was a faster driver (as a retired LA county peace officer) until I moved here and just slowed down because I don't have to be anywhere really fast, but then after having a deer strike on Hwy 95 it REALLY slowed me down during hours of darkness.
I'll also suggest that you can help yourself decompress by becoming an "Idaho driver" by trying to think politeness first. When you come to a stop and there's another driver, wave them on. When there's ever a chance to let another car in, wave them on. Unlike SoCal, it's not a competition to get your car in front of the other driver before they can cut you off. Being neighborly extends to our driving. Now of course we have our rude drivers...but when most people try to be neighborly behind the wheel, it helps. And when you try to think that way, people notice.

This early heat is a real anomaly. First time we've ever seen it this hot in May since moving here in '07. Two years we've had snow on our property until after May 15th.

They pretty much roll up the streets at night here. Just get used to it. We stock our freezer with Schwans (VERY tasty frozen stuff!) so any time we get late night munchies we've got various stuff without needing to go out.
Hey Sage, being a former peace officer caught my eye. I just retired from Law Enforcement in western Washington and am going to make the move to Idaho, Montana or eastern Oregon. Any one or combination of things make you decide on Idaho? I have researched all three states mentioned and Idaho looks like my first choice. I'm looking along the Washington/Oregon border from Priest River south to Weiser. Any suggestions on best places to live where you are not off the map but dont have folks right on top of you?

Thanks for your time and have a great day

Old 07-03-2013, 12:49 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countymountie View Post
Hey Sage, being a former peace officer caught my eye. I just retired from Law Enforcement in western Washington and am going to make the move to Idaho, Montana or eastern Oregon. Any one or combination of things make you decide on Idaho? I have researched all three states mentioned and Idaho looks like my first choice. I'm looking along the Washington/Oregon border from Priest River south to Weiser. Any suggestions on best places to live where you are not off the map but dont have folks right on top of you?

Thanks for your time and have a great day
CM, I'll send you a DM so we don't take this off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho