Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 01:07 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,419 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be coming out west next week to spend some time in the Sandpoint area. On the way, we intend to make the drive as scenic as possible, driving 14 from Sheridan west, then the Beartooth Highway, and stopping in Bozeman for the night. The next day we plan to drive on up to Sandpoint, but I am in a quandary about the route. Do we head south out of Butte and west on 43 to 93 and up through the Bitterroot Valley that way, or do we take 90 to 200? Or is there a yet more scenic route? We are not concerned so much with mileage or travel time as with seeing a lot of pretty country. I would appreciate any help in this regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 12:41 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
You can do both; I haven't yet gone 43 to 93, but 93 up the Bitterroot Valley is wonderful. Check out the Montana forum for places to stay and eateries in Hamilton etc. There are threads about the BV already. And then, as you pass through Missoula, keep going 93 to 200! I promise you it's one of the most spectacular drives in the entire NW. Take 200 all the way along the Clark Fork River and along Lake Pend Oreille to Ponderay, and south to Sandpoint.

90 from Butte to CdA is direct and fairly fast, depending on roadwork in MT, but from Missoula to Lookout Pass there really isn't all that much to see, other than trees. On the Idaho side there's Wallace (see Elousv's recent pics), but you can always take a day trip to Wallace once you're settled in.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:09 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Hi, countryboy...
Remember that out here, the Interstates are all built in the places best suited for them. Look carefully at the 2-lane alternates, as most of these roads will wind through the scenery, and the scenery will be more diverse.

Keep you options as open as possible. I've driven the Bear Tooth, and while it is possible to make Bozeman for the night, don't cut that in stone. The average comfortable speed on the Bear Tooth is a lot slower than what you may think, and it's this way with all the roads that connect to it. Depending on the time of day and other factors, you could find reaching Bozeman could be an exhausting haul.

Also remember that there are millions of folks who will be doing the same journey with the same purposes. Finding motels with available rooms can be very hard.

And to complicate matters, just as CFF mentioned, summer is the time of year when all the roads get worked on. Being aware of where road construction is happening is important.

Smart phones are a great way to help a person avoid stuff and choose alternatives!

Old 05-20-2013, 05:18 PM

Thanks, guys. I have a smartphone and use it extensively when traveling. Handy gadget. Also have rooms reserved already at Sheridan, Bozeman, and Sandpoint. We intend to leave Sheridan no later than 8 AM(probably earlier), drive Hwy 14 over to Ralston, WY. take 294 to 120 north to Belfry, then 308 over to 212 at Red Lodge. From there we hit the Beartooth, coming out on 89 up to Gardiner, thence to Livingston and west on 90 to Bozeman. Think we can get to Livingston before sundown? Google maps says we can do it in 7 hours. I plan for 10-12, with picture taking and whatnot.

The next day, we intend to take 90 to Butte, south on 15 to 43, then west to 93, and north up the BRV to 200 and on to Sandpoint. Google says less than 9 hours, again we plan 12 or so. Should show us a lot of good scenery, but I don't know the region, so figured asking here might net better/more scenic routes, or inform me about particular hazards or conditions I need to know.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Thanks, guys. I have a smartphone and use it extensively when traveling. Handy gadget. Also have rooms reserved already at Sheridan, Bozeman, and Sandpoint. We intend to leave Sheridan no later than 8 AM(probably earlier), drive Hwy 14 over to Ralston, WY. take 294 to 120 north to Belfry, then 308 over to 212 at Red Lodge. From there we hit the Beartooth, coming out on 89 up to Gardiner, thence to Livingston and west on 90 to Bozeman. Think we can get to Livingston before sundown? Google maps says we can do it in 7 hours. I plan for 10-12, with picture taking and whatnot.

The next day, we intend to take 90 to Butte, south on 15 to 43, then west to 93, and north up the BRV to 200 and on to Sandpoint. Google says less than 9 hours, again we plan 12 or so. Should show us a lot of good scenery, but I don't know the region, so figured asking here might net better/more scenic routes, or inform me about particular hazards or conditions I need to know.
Excellent route!
If you leave Sheridan by 8 am, you should make Livingston with no trouble, but Bozeman is about another 45 minutes to an hour on I90 going west over the Bozeman pass,so it may be dark before you arrive in Boze. You never know how the traffic will be, so the earlier you leave Sheridan, the better. Paradise valley, between Gardiner and Livingston, is hell for scenic all by itself, so you want to get as much daylight as you can to see all the good stuff. 10-12 hours is a very good time estimate, as you may well want to stop and get out a time or two

You will have to buy a Yellowstone park pass to drive from Gardiner to Livingston. The only road goes through the park. You will be driving through the Hayden Valley and the Mammoth area, which lacks the popular thermal features but has the wildlife; I've seen grizzlies and wolves there, both from a distance. Your pass will be good if you want to plan a trip through the park on your return home. The pass will also get you into the Teton Natl. Park.

The park's roads are all rough due to budget cutbacks, and I expect the Hayden valley road will be particularly rough, as it always has been.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:38 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
They say that 93 between Missoula and 200 is notorious for drunk drivers! Not dissing a MT route, that's what Montanans themselves say...So just be careful. It's a short drive. When you head west on 200 you'll probably breathe a sigh of relief...we do, and our blood pressure continues to drop all the way to Clark Fork (where we get off Highway 200!)!

If you're looking for a place to stay along the way, look for lodges on county roads, they're usually much more fun than chain motels. Don't do the last bit of 200 to 95 into Sandpoint in the dark--you'll miss out on the view, plus there'll be deer and elk on the road. Better find a place to stay in Thompson Falls and continue next day.

That's something else I meant to say: Make sure you slow down after dark; you don't want to hit any animals. And they're out there, lots of them! On our road trips we try not to drive after sunset anymore, just so we minimize the risk of hitting deer (and also because we don't want to miss any good scenery).

Have fun, be safe, and post reports on your smartphone if you can! We want to know when you've arrived, and what you think!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:08 PM

All good points, guys. Thanks. As to the rough roads mentioned in the park, how rough? We will likely be driving the car, unless I NEED to take the Suburban. 10mpg difference is nothing to sneeze at.

Also, the high-elevation section of the near Red Lodge is not slated to open until June 14. We may have to divert. What about leaving 120 to take 296 west to hit the 212? Is that generally lower elevation and more likely to be open?

Last edited by countryboy73; 05-20-2013 at 07:22 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 09:22 AM

I think your car should do fine in the park. The roads are paved but are breaking up. Hayden valley is high, so the road always gets a lot of frost damage.

Sorry- I can't help you with the Bear Tooth diversion. I've always gone all the way over the top. The high section is high; on the downhill side, going into Red Lodge. the road is above the turn around tower on a ski hill chairlift.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:35 PM

356 posts, read 520,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Thanks, guys. I have a smartphone and use it extensively when traveling. Handy gadget.

A word of caution: I agree that the smartphone is indeed a handy gadget, but only when it works. Be aware that you may not have cell service, particularly on the more "scenic" routes.

That said, have a safe and wonderful trip. I think you'll find this region to be a wonderful place to explore!

Old 06-03-2013, 08:13 PM

Well, we are in Sandpoint, and this part of the country is probably the most beautiful place I will ever see. We woke up in Sheridan, WY to rain and fog, a closed Beartooth Highway, and general crappy weather. So we beat feet up 90 to Missoula, then caught 200 up the Clark Fork River Valley, and WOW! The drive got incredible as soon as we hit 200. What a beautiful ride! And then we got into Sandpoint, been here a few days, been up to Bonner's Ferry, over to Priest lake, and down to Couer d' Alene. Driven a BUNCH of back roads and NF roads, taken about 600 pics. Seen Moose(got video) elk, and deer, wolf scat and tracks, and bear tracks. Water everywhere, trickling, rushing, falling, glistening. The rest is either snow-capped peaks or green trees or grass. The ONLY downside is that the fickle mountain weather has made photography a challenge at times. But man, what beauty! We will hit Glacier park, the Ross cedar grove, the Bitteroot Valley, Continental Divide, Beartooth Highway, and Little Bighorn, Wall Drug, and Sturgis on the way back if the weather cooperates. Going to take 200 east to MT-56, north to MT-2, then to Kalispell. After what we can see of Glacier, its 93 south to 43, east to 15, north to Butte, and then to the Beartooth. Then 212 to Rapid City. Been a great trip so far, will be fun on the way back, too. I WILL be moving here as soon as we can get the ducks in a row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho