Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 04:27 PM

2 posts, read 8,262 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I just joined City-Data and i'm hoping to find out some information about Kellogg and the surrounding areas. I have found numerous individuals with stories similar to my own. My husband and I currently live in So Cal and we have recently decided we would like to move somewhere with kinder and more welcoming individuals, outdoor activities, cheaper cost of living, slower pace, and just an overall sense of happiness that we're no longer experiencing here. I recently lost my job and surviving on one income in California is a rather daunting task. My husband is looking into a job at Dave Smith Motors, but that's nothing definitive. I have read that a job should be figured out prior to moving, which shouldn't and hopefully won't be a problem. My questions are: Do you enjoy living in Kellogg? Are the people friendly? Do you mind making a commute to CDA to get standard items? Are the winters harsh? Do CSA's exist in Kellogg? If i'm interested in finding a health food store would i need to travel to CDA? How much would it be to rent a modest house? Do you like going to the resort water park? My husband and I enjoy being in nature and we're also homebodies, so being indoors during the winter won't be an issue and I think i would really honestly enjoy being by a warm cozy fire, plus neither one of us have ever experienced a snowy white Christmas Thank you for all of your help! I appreciate any and all answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 10:10 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,880 times
Are you planning to make a trip before moving? I certainly wouldn't move without doing so, if you can possibly avoid it. I knew a number of people who worked at Dave Smith, and none of them lived in Kellogg. They all commuted from the Coeur d'Alene area. I also know a lot of people who don't work there anymore. I am sure there are houses to rent in Kellogg, but its a really small town and there don't seem to be many internet listings. I hope someone can help you with your specific questions. I have been through Kellogg a number of times, but I am not sure I have ever stopped there. It is a popular local ski spot in the winter.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 8,262 times
Thank you for your response Cdarocks I would love to make a trip before we move, but I'm unsure if we will be able to afford the trip We are looking at CDA, Spokane, Post Falls, and Kellogg as potential places to move to. My husband let me know there's a shuttle from CDA that takes you to Kellogg and living in CDA sounds like it might be preferable for many reasons. Do you live in Idaho? Do you still have friends that work for Dave Smith?

Old 06-11-2013, 03:00 PM

35 posts, read 75,047 times
I don't live there, but I was recently in the area looking for housing. Kellogg was on my list of possibilities, but I promptly took it off after driving from CdA to Kellogg. The distance isn't terrible, I've definitely had worse commutes. I just remember thinking it would most likely be a tough drive in winter. I'm not totally comfortable driving through passes just yet.

But, then again, I grew up in the Arizona desert and I'm moving there solo. Which is probably making me extra paranoid

Old 06-11-2013, 04:16 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,491,319 times
xmrsvancex-my wife and I lived in Kellog, ID, for a year and a half. Just moved out in May of 2012. I ran a Cardio-Rehab clinic at a doctor's office there. Work opportunities are scarce, I had good work for a few weeks, then as State of Idaho Medicaid funding for Cardio-Rehab waned, so did the number of patients available to me. I started out with 37.5 hours a week and it quickly declined to a 2011 average work hours per week of only 22. For the first half of 2012 I totalled only 16 hours a week.

It's a pretty area, but you might do better in Coeur d' Alene, ID. It is a bigger city by far than Kellogg and offers more work than Kellogg and, of course, more homes for sale or rent and more stores. One thing I have to warn you about is the commute to CDA, if you still have to work and are not retired, can be mighty difficult (icy slick) in the winter. You have to scale a mountain pass in the winter called Fourth of July Pass. It can be tough. The mountain pass to the east called Lookout pass borders Montana and is also slick at times in the winter, but you wouldn't need to take it as much unless you worked in Montana.

Just some things to think about. Kellogg is an old mining town with an interesting history but limited now for opportunities. Population hovers around 2,200 souls.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:50 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,880 times
xmrsvancex, I sent you a private message.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho