Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 03:38 PM

65 posts, read 82,834 times

Advertisements

Good day all............miss talking to you all about Idaho.

Been back for 3 weeks now and have had a VERY hard time living in Wisconsin since leaving Idaho.

Depressed and in a funk..............

I have a parcel of land that I have in mind and wondered if the price was worth it.

It is north of BF about 10-12 miles and is a 20 or 40 acre parcel.........my choice

The $$$ amount has been haggled and we are looking at $6,000 an acre.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Electric and water our at the property.

Views of Selkirk, Cabinet-Purcell mountains VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!

Some woods,alfalfa,dry creek bed............tears of joy.......

I am 48 years old and have had all the toys money could buy...........I never had such a feeling inside myself since seeing Idaho(and the people) and I would work for a dollar an hour to get back there............

Thanks all for your input as always you are very lucky to be out in Idaho and I look forward to coming home to you soon..............M&M Kieffer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 06:12 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Now you just have to ask a few more practical questions:

How long is the access road? If it's more than a mile, can you put up with that in winter/spring?
How good is the well water, and how much does the well produce?
How wet does the dry creek bed get in spring--and is there any kind of potential wetlands hassle involved?
Any big development going in that they're not telling you about? (The Boundary Ct City Office will have that info, and also about the wetlands).
Any power lines going across the property?
Any flooding potential from the Kootenai?
Any very close train tracks?

(ID friends, have I forgotten something? )

If any of these questions raises a flag, and you still want the property, get the 40 acres if you can afford it--enough space to distance oneself from the wetlands and the power lines, and the train. I think it's probably worth the money.

That being said, once logic has had its say, you must listen to your heart. Have you actually had feet on the ground there? Did it feel like home? I didn't believe how important that little voice was until I stood on our future property after seeing 30 lots in 5 days and knew I'd found the right place...

It is quite a shock to one's system when one's internal middle-aged compass needle all of a sudden turns in a new direction; one's entire world is shifting, and there's no rest until one is headed back to one's new home. Some of us know exactly what you're feeling...

Old 07-25-2013, 07:49 AM

[quote=Clark Fork Fantast;30633216]Now you just have to ask a few more practical questions:

How long is the access road? If it's more than a mile, can you put up with that in winter/spring?
No access road.....property is located on dead end of county rd. 1/4 mile PLOWED

How good is the well water, and how much does the well produce?
Water is from the water municipal. I forget what you call it???? You pay for the meter and then every month.

How wet does the dry creek bed get in spring--and is there any kind of potential wetlands hassle involved?
The plats that I saw and walking the land for a few hours......doesn't look like water has been their in years...........NO WETLANDS listed and no issue with that as far as I can see.

Any big development going in that they're not telling you about? (The Boundary Ct City Office will have that info, and also about the wetlands).
It is surrounded by tree plantations and ag land.

Any power lines going across the property? NONE
Any flooding potential from the Kootenai? NO
Any very close train tracks? The closest would be Moyie River line........about 15 miles away

I walked the entire land twice....once with the landowner.....once with the Mrs.......I made over 6000 miles of driving to spend 10 days out their. We looked at oodles of land and made our mind up that north of town was for us. We found this piece of property from one of our new friends from Bonners that steered us to another good couple that had the land........it was like we were steered by the hand of God!!!!!!!!

The friends that we have made in such a short time..................it is truly awe inspiring......

That all being said..........the price of land has not dropped out as bad as the rest of the country and we just don't want to "overpay" for the land.....even though I will go to the well to get it.

We are getting ready to go ahead with this in the next 2 weeks.........we will pray and then make a decision.

I would love to post a picture of the land and the unbelievable views it has........but that would give it away

Thanks all of you NID"s again and especially you Clark for all your input and interest in our venture.

I sold my skid steer and equipment and my Can Am bike and trailer........this is SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again all...........keep us in mind

M&M Kieffer

Old 07-25-2013, 09:38 AM

21 posts, read 35,893 times
I love that area, but aren't there some funky restrictions if you live within 30 minutes of the border or something? I think I remember hearing something like that.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:53 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
In that case I'd say go for it! (But if you regret it in 5 years, please don't blame me! )

One more thing: I'm sure you've factored in the cost of building, too. For me, that would be the deciding factor between the 20 vs the 40 acres. Unless you just want to live in a yurt!

Old 07-26-2013, 04:42 PM

274 posts, read 471,942 times
Are there any restrictions on installing a septic system?

Old 07-26-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevpu1967 View Post
Are there any restrictions on installing a septic system?
Nope.......their are 3 other homes in a 1/4 mile radius of the land......The one home owner just built on his land he bought a few years ago..........cheap septic........pretty low cost per foot home also and very nice!!

Old 07-26-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
In that case I'd say go for it! (But if you regret it in 5 years, please don't blame me! ) ????????? You see something coming down the road???? In five years of being out there I would think that you couldn't wipe the smile off my face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One more thing: I'm sure you've factored in the cost of building, too. For me, that would be the deciding factor between the 20 vs the 40 acres. Unless you just want to live in a yurt!
A YURT????

I can get 20 and get the other 20 later..................owner is very accommodating!!!!!!!!!!!

We shall see how it all rolls out...........stay tuned..................

Old 07-26-2013, 06:15 PM

274 posts, read 471,942 times
Yurt! It's just fun to say!

Old 07-26-2013, 07:38 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Yurts are awesome. My husband wanted to live in one but the cabin was a better investment. This one in Bonner's Ferry was for sale a while back:
127 Ursus Ln, Bonners Ferry, ID 83805 - Zillow

I keep trying to persuade him to do a yurt with exercise equipment, weights...elliptical, bike. Maybe a nice hot tub. Tired of driving to the gym. Gotta finish with the guest cabin first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: