Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 06:50 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,610,744 times

Advertisements

bek? What does that mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 12:03 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,377,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Thanks, MSR. I appreciate your interest, really. I'm choosing among options right now. There is probably a 50/50 chance of a move back to WA. But things need to be worked out. I will certainly mention my decision here, not that many really care. I am just not that important. However, let me say Idaho and Washington are two great states, and either one of them could be right for most who fly by this thread.
You're important to me. I hope if you return to WA it's for a wonderful opportunity. You're more important to us than you realize, regardless of where you live!

MSR

Old 09-23-2013, 04:01 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,164,190 times
Yes, indeed, pw. You offer a lot of good observations and advice here, and I enjoy your posts a lot.
I, too, hope things work out so you can move back!

Old 09-26-2013, 05:45 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,610,744 times
Thanks folks. I appreciate my friends on here. I am staying here for now, but have been in the Tri-Cities, WA for the past several days, hence the delay in responding. Thinking of buying a condo and renting it out there. That area has grown so much since I lived there in the early 90's. Whole new commercial/residential neighborhoods have sprung up in West Pasco, and South Richland. Those areas are hardly recognizable to me anymore. Of course, one could probably say the same about I.F during that time span.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:53 PM

291 posts, read 667,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
I just retired in Hayden and love it to death.

It's nice being 35 minutes from Spokane, all the 'big city' things you could want are just over half an hour away, but you get a nice, peaceful small-town place to live.

Gig Harbor? Not a chance. The weather is gray and boring and the people are a little clannish.
I had a friend who lived in Gig Harbor for 11 years. At first glance it looks pretty nice and there are SOME nice people mixed in through there. But you're right about the clannish part. I experienced that as well. I think if you get involved with the local fishing over a period of time, you'll be quite disappointed. Kind of like fishing in California. Their are a lot of boats out there for every fish caught and the old adage about 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish is very true in that area

Old 09-29-2013, 02:32 PM

25 posts, read 131,028 times
How is the fishing in Idaho? Coming from Michigan where the lakes are superb; we have an 18-foot deep v fishing boat, love to fish Walleye, try for Muskee, perch, pike...

Old 09-29-2013, 10:16 PM

445 posts, read 1,323,706 times
KeepingUpwithUs asks:

Quote:
How is the fishing in Idaho? Coming from Michigan where the lakes are superb; we have an 18-foot deep v fishing boat, love to fish Walleye, try for Muskee, perch, pike...
Glad you asked, KeepingUp....

I know you have some fine fishing waters in Michigan. So do we. We have all of the fish types you mentioned, plus all of the salmon and trout, including steelhead. And, to make it interesting, some of our lakes and rivers feature the prehistoric sturgeon, up to 10 feet long and weighing over 300 pounds.

There are over 2,000 lakes and reservoirs scattered across the state. I live at Sandpoint in the North Idaho Panhandle. The town is situated at the top of Lake Pend Oreille (pronounced pon-da-ray). Its the largest lake in the state at 65 miles long and 15 miles wide at its widest. Boating and fishing are the main attractions on Pend Oreille. The fishery has given up a 37-pound Kamloops trout, and prize-winning Dolly Varden trout and Mackinaw trout are often caught. Public ramps and marinas are found all the way around the lake, and campgrounds are associated with many of the launch areas. This is just an example of the lake fisheries found in Idaho.

You'd find plenty of fishing action to enjoy in Idaho....Hey, there's more than famous potatoes here. Bring your boat. You'll find out what I mean.

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 09-29-2013, 11:14 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,164,190 times
One thing about the sturgeon- it would be very wise to check Idaho's fish and game regulations before planning to fish for them. They are endangered natives, and as far as I know, they are either catch and release only or can't be fished at all.

But pimit was on the money with the rest of the fish here. Down in s.e. Idaho, rainbow trout now have very loose regulations and a long season, as the F&G dept. is trying to re-establish our native cutthroat trout in many of the drainages. The rainbows were an introduced species here and prey on the cuts. The cutthroats may be catch & release in some areas.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:58 PM

445 posts, read 1,323,706 times
banjomike makes a good point, as usual: You have to follow the state's fishing rules to the letter, whether it's sturgeon or other species.

Need to know what the rules are? Google them at this link, which is a downloadable PDF file:

fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/fish/rules/seasonsRules.pdf

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 10-04-2013, 02:12 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,377,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Yep, picked up a new keyboard, (made in China) on sale at Radio Shack for just 13 bucks. So now I am back to atleast semi-literate!

Anyway, am staying in I.F. for now. Not ready to give up on it quite yet...
Great! Pw72, absolutely great! With all the has been started in development this year, I'd hate to not have you see the transformation. Sorry I didn't see this before! I'm glad you'll be around. I hope your work is both challenging and rewarding enough for you.

Yeah us!

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho