U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-30-2013, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,269 times
Default Moving to CDA, need to know the best/worst parts.

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I will be moving to CDA in a few months and will be coming sight unseen, other than a ton of exploring and research online. I know pictures can be very misleading. I'm looking for a small house in a safe, descent, and quietneighborhood. Mostly I need to know what parts of town to avoid and what parts are good in general, orany other tips/ideas. My budget for a house is around $800. Hopefully that's possible! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thank you [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 03:22 PM

843 posts, read 501,024 times
What brings you to Idaho? Where are you coming from? Do you already have a job? I always get nervous for people who are arriving without a visit to explore and learn.

How many bedrooms and baths are you looking for? $800 is more like the price for a apartment or townhouse. You may have the best luck finding something through Craig's list with a private owner, but as always beware of scams on Craig's list. Sadly, some rental property management companies in the C'da area are giving the industry a bad name, so tread carefully.

There are a number of apartment complexes in the area you can check with. Your location is going to be determined by your budget and not your desire to be in a particular area.

Do NOT rent something sight unseen before you arrive. Just don't. If you cannot visit before you move, at least stay in a hotel for a few days while you explore the area and see where your $800 is going to get you the closest to your desired type of neighborhood. There are some small motels that have weekly rates if you are on really tight on budget.

Please do let us know if you have any more questions. Good luck!

Old 09-30-2013, 04:15 PM

2,745 posts, read 5,782,477 times
I will second that. $800 puts you in an apartment/townhome, but not in a house that you're likely to want to be in. If you want to be in a house for the budget, you'll probably be out in the Silver Valley and commuting in to CDA. I'd rather live in a nicer apartment/townhome and NOT have to commute though than have a house and have to commute.

Since you're new on here, take some time to read several threads where we've discussed this specific topic at length on good and bad neighborhoods around the CDA area. I think you'll get plenty of information there, and then come ask more questions about those specific areas maybe?

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***

Old 10-01-2013, 11:47 AM

64 posts, read 53,239 times
There are some nice looking apartments at the East end of Sherman by Fernan village. "Lake Villas" or something like that. Nice area, good looking place.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:57 AM

151 posts, read 116,985 times
We're moving to Post Falls in Dec and spent 5 days in CDA for a pre move visit.

My perspective as an outsider with only being there 5 days:

The area around Goverment way north of 90 seems older / cheaper area.

Just to the east of that is Dalton Gardens a lot of nice homes on big lots especially closer to the hills in the east

The area inside hwy 90 is like the down town and the lots are smaller ( 1/4 acre or smaller ) with a lot of craftsmen style houses. Most houses look really nice but there seemed to be a few dumpy looking houses / unkempt lawns on each block mixed in. Sherman way seemed like tha main drag with shops, art galleries, restaurants and bars. #rd and 4th street south of 90 also have a lot of restaurants and bars. Lots of mom and pop type places... not a lot of chains

To be honest I didn't really see any trashy looking people anywhere. Saw a few thugish looking cars around gov way. I also saw an "intermediate living" place in downtown CDA.. forgot exactly where it was. Not sure what it was either

It would totally be worth living out of a hotel for even a few days when you first get out there. Good luck!

Last edited by fleeNY; 10-01-2013 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-01-2013, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,269 times
Thanks for the replies and info! I'm coming from a very small town on the Oregon coast and want more sun and more things to do, but not too big. I have an older dog so an apartment is not an option, she needs a yard. I do have the job thing covered, and it's only me and my dog, so a small house is fine. I've checked craigslist and have found a few places that seem pretty descent, but pictures can be tricky. I will keep reading the other posts and soak up as much info as I can. Not the best idea to move sight unseen for sure, but I don't have the extra funds to make 2 trips. Thanks again!

Old 10-01-2013, 11:10 PM

2,745 posts, read 5,782,477 times
If you find places, post the street and block number of what you're finding available for rent. We can give you some feedback on the general areas...

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho