Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:13 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,021 times

Advertisements

Yes, thanks, elkotronics. I'm so close to making that move. My teams are the same as yours, you must be from Washingotn State. I'm willing to give Cable One a little more time, but my patience is running out. At the same time, our ABC affiliate here in Idaho is being targeted by Dish. However, this won't ever fly. Something tells me the Cable One thing may indeed have injured wings, as in falling to the ground. We may be entering into a period of escalating tv/cable costs, and it is all a farce, IMO. What is going on here is stupid, because as every year passes, this programming becomes more available from other sources. There seems to be a lack of understanding by these old school media companies how vulnerable they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 11:36 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,487,028 times
pw72, you guessed it, I was born in Seattle and raised in Edmonds, WA. Lived in western Washington until 2003, and that year I entered into Allied Healthcare training in college in Missouri. Since graduating from college and healthcare training in mid-2005, my healthcare career has taken me all over the western U.S. I'm living and working in Alamogordo, NM, right now.

As for Seattle sports, the Husky football team, the Seattle Seahawks and the Seattle Mariners are all my favorites. The Mariners really try my patience, but I still keep rooting for them throughout the years. Wherever I move, these Seattle teams remain my favorites. I look forward to the eventual return of the Seattle Supersonic NBA team, too. Hopefully it'll happen sooner rather than later.

With DirecTV, it's not exactly cheap, it's just that it supplies me with what I want in a TV package, and I'm happy with that. It does require a 2-year agreement, though, as long as you know that you should be all right with it. Whatever you choose, I hope you are happy with your TV service provider. Go Seahawks!

Old 10-09-2013, 12:27 AM

Yeah, Seattle sports is somewhat exciting right now. The Hawks off to a great start (despite some mistakes at Indy), and the Huskies are on the cusp...despite a tough loss at Stanford. The new Husky Stadium is great, and the future is so bright I gotta wear shades. Sorry. ESPN gameday in Seattle this Sat.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:43 AM

274 posts, read 471,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
OK, if so inclined, take another toke, and I will be right there with you. However, I live in the real world, and my job depends on topical media information. And to take it to another level, baseball playoffs add a lot to my reality, and I'm being forced out of them due to this stalemate. You are certianly welcome to "unplug", but don't demand that for everyone, please.
No demanding here, just saying it would be beneficial...perhaps more so for me. I understand that not everybody can or will unplug, that is what outdoor activities are for. I tend to use the TV as a noisemaker in a lonely house when the kids are at school. My son wants to work in television/media entertainment after school, so I certainly understand the job related need to remain "plugged in". I was thinking more along the lines of the old Tracy Lawrence song "If the World Had a Front Porch"... if the world had a book club.. hahaha. I meant no offense.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:46 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevpu1967 View Post
I thought you watched Outdoor Idaho through the window. Unplugging the cable/dish would benefit the entire world... in my humble opinion. Perhaps we should all unplug and start a book exchange club with our neighbors.
Yup, but I can't view things from the air. Watching Outdoor idaho almost makes me want to get an ultralight and go flying!
Some of the episodes have been extremely informational, and others quite dramatic. I enjoyed the Salmon river rafting episode, where all the rafters on the river were blocked by a huge logjam at a critical river bend, and the Fish & Game guys came in and dynamited it loose. That was a very well-spent hour.

It's a great series that covers every corner of the state in beautiful hi-res.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevpu1967 View Post
No demanding here, just saying it would be beneficial...perhaps more so for me. I understand that not everybody can or will unplug, that is what outdoor activities are for. I tend to use the TV as a noisemaker in a lonely house when the kids are at school. My son wants to work in television/media entertainment after school, so I certainly understand the job related need to remain "plugged in". I was thinking more along the lines of the old Tracy Lawrence song "If the World Had a Front Porch"... if the world had a book club.. hahaha. I meant no offense.
No offense taken. I'm just angry about channels that I need. Perhaps I was the one who was offensive. If so, I apologize. And, yes, each and everyone to their own.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:09 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,487,028 times
pw72 and chevpu1967 - that's one thing that's kind of nice about the internet - we can and often do disagree, but, we can't reach over and bop the person we're disagreeing with in the face. Or even a little playful bop in the arm like we might do to someone we actually like. Right? It's communication at a distance. One can learn a lot on the internet, though, and I have found that even though there is dishonesty on the net, there is a lot that is right and true and pretty straightforward. So let's sit back, crack open a Snicker's bar and a Coca-Cola and enjoy the ride.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:35 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,430,606 times
I think this is all kind of bizarre. TNT (hello NBA fans), TBS especially became staples of any paid service anywhere. I don't know how they can keep raising their prices and have the average home user pay the fees. Certainly, local restaurants and bars are using other services.

pw- start a new business and make them all suffer

This dispute NPG and Direct TV are having includes more than eastern ID doesn't it? I can't say I really understand it. DirectTV is refusing to pay the fee for ABC and CW in eastern ID and then charge a fee to Direct TV customers or something like that.

What are the odds of tbe TNT/HLN etc. with Cable One and the DirectTV all happening so closely?

I follow WA sports too but not as closely as pw72 and Elkotronics. I've been to Mariner's games, the Hawks are off to an impressive start and the Sonics really found their home to be noisy Thunder. I went to some Sonics games. Is it a done deal with Sac. and the Maloof Family selling? Maybe they can franchise another Real Housewives of ....??

So back to ID, I'm happy to see some SEC football. But it's not the Tide.

John L. Smith,:who use to coach the Razorbacks in AR, along with WSU for a year or so plus Weber and USU is now coaching some place in CO I've never heard of.

Coach Smith was born and raised in Idaho Falls. It can be a bigger or smaller world.

MSR

Old 10-10-2013, 02:50 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
The cable stations are all up against the wall.
The internet allows viewers a la carte; a person can pay for only what he wants to watch, and doesn't have to contend with hundreds of channels he has to buy that he doesn't want to watch. Choosing only those he likes is much less expensive as well.

Where cable once had two food channels, there are 30 now. Where A&E once had one glittering channel, it now has broken up each best attraction into a channel of it's own. Cable allows the unpopular channels to compete with the popular channels with no penalty for bad programming and unpopularity. Cable is like like a small steak with a large helping of stale garbage on the side.

Too many channels, many too bad channels, steadily rising rates, steadily increasing unwelcome advertising that is forced on paying customers, too much repetition. The entire cable paradigm is failing fast. Ironically, their internet services are speeding their demise.

If viewers were able to purchase a given number of channels, then allowed to choose which channels they wanted to view in that number, cable would return to it's former profitability. As it is now, they have an aging, expensive, high-cost delivery system that now delivers less than before.

Turner understands this. They can always do a Netflix on cable, and sell their programming over the internet. As it is now, the cable companies depend on them, not vice versa.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The cable stations are all up against the wall.
The internet allows viewers a la carte; a person can pay for only what he wants to watch, and doesn't have to contend with hundreds of channels he has to buy that he doesn't want to watch. Choosing only those he likes is much less expensive as well.

Where cable once had two food channels, there are 30 now. Where A&E once had one glittering channel, it now has broken up each best attraction into a channel of it's own. Cable allows the unpopular channels to compete with the popular channels with no penalty for bad programming and unpopularity. Cable is like like a small steak with a large helping of stale garbage on the side.

Too many channels, many too bad channels, steadily rising rates, steadily increasing unwelcome advertising that is forced on paying customers, too much repetition. The entire cable paradigm is failing fast. Ironically, their internet services are speeding their demise.

If viewers were able to purchase a given number of channels, then allowed to choose which channels they wanted to view in that number, cable would return to it's former profitability. As it is now, they have an aging, expensive, high-cost delivery system that now delivers less than before.

Turner understands this. They can always do a Netflix on cable, and sell their programming over the internet. As it is now, the cable companies depend on them, not vice versa.
Yep, you speak the truth. I guess I am just a little old fashioned and enjoy a wide variety of choices, which Cable One offers (or offered). I can't help believe there are others like me. Yeah, I can find some of the lost programming on the web, but have not moved to moving this to my big screen. I suppose this is the next step, but I'm too busy to deal with that right now. So I look at Cable One just making my life more complicated at this point. And if they lose enough customers, where does that put them? Simple business sense would encourage both sides to come to an agreement here. However, I am not going to wait much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho