Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 06:18 PM

551 posts, read 804,031 times

Advertisements

With the low electricity rates in the North Idaho area, I was thinking of installing electric heaters in my planned attached garage. My builder thinks that an inexpensive (used) wood stove might be a better way to go since I have so many trees on my lot and a lifetime supply of firewood.

The garage will be 1200 sq. ft. and well insulated. What say the local experts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 07:30 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,974 times
I think it depends on what you want to use it for. If it is an everyday type then I would go with the electric mainly for convenience. The other thing is floor space. If you hang the heaters and aim them down you don't use any floor space. I went wood since I had a 'free' stove I took out of my kitchen and also a good amount of trees so 'free' fuel. Besides, I love playing with chainsaws! It takes a good hour to get it going in the morning.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:39 PM

Those are good points about the space needed for a stove and the time to get it going. If I want to keep the garage warm for extended periods which way would make more sense? Seems like electric would work better if I just want the garage warm when I'm working in there.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:06 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,974 times
I can just tell you how I use it. I plan ahead and if I know I will be in there most of the day I will get that fire really going. Once hot it is very easy to keep it going. I have a fan behind it to circulate the air a bit. If I were to put in electric I would want at least two of those big 220V heaters, one in each corner of the front aiming back. Maybe 20000 BTU each so you would need to plan some dedicated power of at least 60 amps just for that. You would have to calculate how much each fuel would cost you if that is important. Electric would be set it and forget it. Wood takes work on your part. Wood heats you several times; when you cut it, when you split it, when you stack it and when you burn it haha.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 AM

294 posts, read 544,539 times
Usually, a garage is heated with gas. It is the only thing that can heat that many cubic feet quickly. If you plan on using the garage for a hobby that could generate significant airborne dust, the electric may work better because there is no flame involved to spark a dust explosion.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:29 AM

15 posts, read 28,729 times
Default jotul wood stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
With the low electricity rates in the North Idaho area, I was thinking of installing electric heaters in my planned attached garage. My builder thinks that an inexpensive (used) wood stove might be a better way to go since I have so many trees on my lot and a lifetime supply of firewood.

The garage will be 1200 sq. ft. and well insulated. What say the local experts?
Hi OldAf-
Other posters have recommended the Jotul stoves. Jotul has some small ones that have a small footprint.
Perhaps you would have room for both? Quick electric then lasting off the grid wood for the rest of the day?
Best regards, Mrs P

Old 10-14-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I can just tell you how I use it. I plan ahead and if I know I will be in there most of the day I will get that fire really going. Once hot it is very easy to keep it going. I have a fan behind it to circulate the air a bit. If I were to put in electric I would want at least two of those big 220V heaters, one in each corner of the front aiming back. Maybe 20000 BTU each so you would need to plan some dedicated power of at least 60 amps just for that. You would have to calculate how much each fuel would cost you if that is important. Electric would be set it and forget it. Wood takes work on your part. Wood heats you several times; when you cut it, when you split it, when you stack it and when you burn it haha.
Hey, I guess I won't have to go jogging if I use firewood.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javatom View Post
Usually, a garage is heated with gas. It is the only thing that can heat that many cubic feet quickly. If you plan on using the garage for a hobby that could generate significant airborne dust, the electric may work better because there is no flame involved to spark a dust explosion.
There is no natural gas to the property, only electricity. I hear propane is pretty expensive so that's out. Thanks for the tip about dust and explosions. Good to keep that in mind.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Plissken View Post
Hi OldAf-
Other posters have recommended the Jotul stoves. Jotul has some small ones that have a small footprint.
Perhaps you would have room for both? Quick electric then lasting off the grid wood for the rest of the day?
Best regards, Mrs P
Yeah, those are supposed to be very nice stoves. I think I'm too cheap to buy one of those for the garage though.

You're right, getting a small cheap used stove and having an electric unit is probably the way to go.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:35 AM

7 posts, read 10,564 times
Woodstove as long as there are no combustible fumes that could be set off by an open flame. This would include gasoline, dust, gunpowder (that reloaders would have), etc. Be sure the stove is installed with the manufacturer's clearances to combustibles such as wood adhered to. Enjoy the warmth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho