Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 02:03 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
Since I'll be in a forested area I would guess there are a lot of predators around that might look at a cat as lunch. Can cats roam around in relative safety?

I have a couple of outdoor cats that will become Idaho residents next year. I'm thinking of making them live in the house during the snowy winters but let them roam around in the summer. Would that be a bad idea?
Yes very idea some of us HATE CATS. Dont be selfish. Why burden people with your pets?
My house is cat unfriendly in the summer, lilies etc as far as I know its legal but a cat wont make it out alive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 02:32 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
No venomous snakes in the top 5 northernmost counties according to the Panhandle Health District snakes

Our cats have been indoor/outdoor cats since we've had Great Pyrenees as livestock guardian dogs for the past 11 years and they've mostly been safe. One disappeared but he had a habit of wandering farther afield. When our last Pyr passes, the cats will transition to mostly indoors, especially at night. Just too many hungry predators out there hunting where we live.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:31 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,536 times
Maybe stuffed saw your current location as high dessert and was confused with the rattlers.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:41 PM

551 posts, read 803,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
No poisonous snakes in the top two counties of Idaho. That's what I was always told when I lived there. I never saw one either and we lived in a tipi for the first two years. Through the winters too.
My wife and I always let our cat run outside when we lived there. No problems. Now we have two cats that we got at the shelter that have always been inside cats. That's where we keep them, inside, for their safety.
That's good to hear about the snakes. Yup, indoors will be the way to go.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlaw View Post
I have this same question about a 10 pound dog. I guess it really depends on the area surrounding your house. I think my little dog will be a little safer than a cat, but I think precautions will need to be taken with a good fence and maybe restricting when the little guy gets to go outside.

We also have a 100+ pound bullmastiff, not as worried about her. She does seem to like bears, that is obviously a problem. She may think she is a bear, but would quickly find out she is lunch.
Wow! I'm sure a big dog like yours won't have too much to worry about.

Did you decide where you're going to live?

Old 11-07-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
No venomous snakes in the top 5 northernmost counties according to the Panhandle Health District snakes

Our cats have been indoor/outdoor cats since we've had Great Pyrenees as livestock guardian dogs for the past 11 years and they've mostly been safe. One disappeared but he had a habit of wandering farther afield. When our last Pyr passes, the cats will transition to mostly indoors, especially at night. Just too many hungry predators out there hunting where we live.
Thank you for the link. It's nice not to have to worry about rattlers and having to watch every step you take in the forest.

Are there a lot of ticks during certain times of the year and do your cats ever pick them up?

Old 11-07-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Maybe stuffed saw your current location as high dessert and was confused with the rattlers.
You might be right. But I've seen very few rattlers here. The last one I saw was outside the hospital at Edwards AFB while I was still working there about 15 years ago.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:50 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,536 times
Well I saw tons when living there. Anyhow some of my neighbors do let cats out, but call them in at night.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:10 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
Quote:
Thank you for the link. It's nice not to have to worry about rattlers and having to watch every step you take in the forest.

Are there a lot of ticks during certain times of the year and do your cats ever pick them up?
I've had/have horses, sheep, goats, dogs, cats, rabbits, etc and I've had just one cat pick up a tick once. I've heard others complain about them but we've never had any problems at all.

Now yellowjackets are another matter entirely.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:37 PM

414 posts, read 1,095,073 times
Quote:
Is that right? My real estate agent said there were no rattlers around there. (just north of CDA) I should have been paying more attention when I was walking around my lot which is full of trees and tall grass. I''ll be more careful next time I go up there next spring.
Like mistyriver said, we don't seem to have poisonous snakes up here. I've never seen a poisonous snake in North Idaho. Rattlesnakes are, however, quite common in southern Idaho. Growing up in Nampa I saw them regularly. As far as I know they don't really show up north of the Snake River (Lewiston).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlaw View Post
I have this same question about a 10 pound dog. I guess it really depends on the area surrounding your house. I think my little dog will be a little safer than a cat, but I think precautions will need to be taken with a good fence and maybe restricting when the little guy gets to go outside.
Yeah, dogs are pretty safe as long as they're in a fenced area. Might have to worry about birds of prey that think the 10lb one looks like a rabbit.... As for cats, fences have no meaning to them. Fences also have no meaning to deer, but deer won't generally bother dogs.

Quote:
I've heard that there's a tick problem, and even though my cat is an exclusively indoor cat at his annual checkups the vet always checks for ticks in case one somehow got tracked inside. So there might be a little cause for concern there. He's never had one, but one of my parents' dogs got a tick once. Can't hurt to check every once in awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho