U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 04:28 PM

8,053 posts, read 2,965,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Thanks for the info, BM. This is pretty much what you related in that other thread.

I was watching the temps in the Snake River valley all summer, (this past one), and thought to myself, "Sheech, if I wanted 100 degree temperatures every day, I'd stay where I am now". I'd bet that I.P. was quite comfortable, temperature wise, this past summer.

Small plots of vacant land are quite affordable up there. And, except for water table issues, (high, interferes with leach lines), one can put a small cabin on their land for not much. Sounds like a wonderful place to spend from late spring to early autumn. Then, come down off the hill for winters.

I've driven on the 20 several times when it was snowing, and didn't have any issues. Thankfully, my car is AWD and I carry chains just in case. Durnded if I know how to install them. Should probably do a dry run before I head up in a couple of weeks.
It's so high up there that folks sunburn easily. It's always cooler than the valley, but often the summer temps can still be pretty warm. The nights are always cooler.

It's true that the land up there is relatively cheap, but there are better buys to be found elsewhere. Most of the cheapest properties are going to end up costing a lot to put good water on them; Island Park's water supply really depends on the rare areas of surface water. A well can go down forever before it hits water, because the entire caldera is volcanic and soaks up water from snowmelt like a sponge. It's one of the main supplies for the big Snake river plain aquifer.

The 20 is almost always passable year round with good winter tires, but when it closes, there is no way to get off it. Getting stuck on it isn't the most common hazard; snowmobiles using the highway is illegal, but common, and there's a lot of wildlife that appears out of nowhere year round. There's frequent white-out fog that forms next to the rivers, and driving into those fogs are always scary.

But as i said, it's fun as a getaway. A lot of families build one cabin jointly and use it taking turns. For some reason, lots of Utahans build places there instead of in the Wasatch and other nearby mountains in Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 11:21 PM

1,088 posts, read 484,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
...It's true that the land up there is relatively cheap, but there are better buys to be found elsewhere...
To what areas are you referring to? If I were to move to the Snake River valley for my retirement, I think I would very much like to have an escape cabin at a higher elevation where I could get out of the worst of the heat.

One nice thing about I.P. is its closeness to Yellowstone. I can go for that!

- - - - -

The aversion I have to triple-digit summer heat is that I don't do very well when it is that hot. I live in what is locally known as the "high desert", located north of the Los Angeles basin across the San Gabriel mountains and we had triple-digit heat pretty much all summer. I had to drive 60-70 miles to the coast to get into weather that was conducive for riding.

I learned my lesson the previous summer when I was out on a planned century ride and halfway up a long grade, I had to stop. I knew it was warm. The water in my bottles was hot as tea. Hot water, when you yourself are hot, doesn't taste very good. I turned back and limped home. It took a long, long time and I stopped at every little store on the way to purchase water or whatever. Even the mailman coming in the opposite direction stopped and offered me some ice-cold water, without me asking. I must have looked awful. After I got home and re-hydrated, I checked the temperature and it was 104! No more. If it is forecast to be in the mid-90s or higher, I won't ride.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:13 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,660,053 times
Quote:
I will. I'm taking a two-week vacation the second and third week of next month. Primary purpose to to visit some cities in the Bighorn Basin, and probably Sheridan in the Powder River Basin. Then head up to Bozeman to visit a lady friend for a few days. Only my way back down south, I'll go through eastern Idaho. Been through a bunch, on the 15, but never spent any amount of time looking at the cities with the thought of them being a possible retirement home. This time, I'll look with that in mind.

Volo, I've been reading your posts here and on the WY forum (MT, too?). I think I responded somewhere. Strong and heartfelt suggestion: if you feel the way you do about mountains, and want to avoid summer heat, do give North Idaho a chance. I know 2 weeks will probably not be enough to swing around Sandpoint, because you have to decide, from being on I-90 in MT, whether to go south into E ID on 15, or west on 90 into NID, and you probably can't do both. But here's a way it might work for you adding just 2 days! Bozeman to Missoula, then up 93 to 200 west. You'll see the most amazing scenery in the Clark Fork Valley all the way to Sandpoint, and it'll give you an impression of what the area has to offer, both in NW MT and NID. Spend the night in Sandpoint (try The Best Western Edgewater). Then next day go south on 95 to 90 East back into MT and Missoula, and continue south on 93 through the Bitterroot Valley (which you may fall in love with), through the Lost Pass back into Idaho, and backroads down to Idaho Falls. There will be snow in the pass, and the route is easier in the summer, but it would give you some more cards to play with! Have a great trip!

Old 11-20-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Volo, I've been reading your posts here and on the WY forum (MT, too?). I think I responded somewhere. Strong and heartfelt suggestion: if you feel the way you do about mountains, and want to avoid summer heat, do give North Idaho a chance. I know 2 weeks will probably not be enough to swing around Sandpoint, because you have to decide, from being on I-90 in MT, whether to go south into E ID on 15, or west on 90 into NID, and you probably can't do both. But here's a way it might work for you adding just 2 days! Bozeman to Missoula, then up 93 to 200 west. You'll see the most amazing scenery in the Clark Fork Valley all the way to Sandpoint, and it'll give you an impression of what the area has to offer, both in NW MT and NID. Spend the night in Sandpoint (try The Best Western Edgewater). Then next day go south on 95 to 90 East back into MT and Missoula, and continue south on 93 through the Bitterroot Valley (which you may fall in love with), through the Lost Pass back into Idaho, and backroads down to Idaho Falls. There will be snow in the pass, and the route is easier in the summer, but it would give you some more cards to play with! Have a great trip!
Thanks for the suggestion, it's a good idea. This past April, I took a short trip on the 90 from Three Forks to CdA and spent a few nights. Loved the Trails of the Couer d'Alenes bike path. Then I took the North Idaho Centennial Trail into Spokane the next day. The bike trail system in NID is awesome! Of course, the physical environment is pretty nice too. Didn't get north of CdA on that trip.

I'll map out your route and consider it. If not this trip, then next spring/summer when I take some time off.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:43 AM

Bummer! No tennis courts in Clark Fork.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Bummer! No tennis courts in Clark Fork.
Ahahahahaha! Get 10 acres and build your own!

Oh, no LA Fitness, either...

Old 11-20-2013, 10:51 AM

283 posts, read 109,505 times
Quote:
To what areas are you referring to? If I were to move to the Snake River valley for my retirement, I think I would very much like to have an escape cabin at a higher elevation where I could get out of the worst of the heat.

One nice thing about I.P. is its closeness to Yellowstone. I can go for that!

- - - - -

The aversion I have to triple-digit summer heat is that I don't do very well when it is that hot. I live in what is locally known as the "high desert", located north of the Los Angeles basin across the San Gabriel mountains and we had triple-digit heat pretty much all summer. I had to drive 60-70 miles to the coast to get into weather that was conducive for riding.

I learned my lesson the previous summer when I was out on a planned century ride and halfway up a long grade, I had to stop. I knew it was warm. The water in my bottles was hot as tea. Hot water, when you yourself are hot, doesn't taste very good. I turned back and limped home. It took a long, long time and I stopped at every little store on the way to purchase water or whatever. Even the mailman coming in the opposite direction stopped and offered me some ice-cold water, without me asking. I must have looked awful. After I got home and re-hydrated, I checked the temperature and it was 104! No more. If it is forecast to be in the mid-90s or higher, I won't ride.

I think I would take the advice of CFF and tour NID if you get the chance. I will get a chance to go and do a lot of sightseeing once I get moved up there hopefully next summer. I'll be sure to do the route CFF recommends.

I know what you mean about the heat out here in Lancaster/Palmdale. I used to go riding during lunch at EAFB in the summer heat and it was pretty brutal. I was younger and a cycling nut at the time so I put up with it at the time. Much nicer cycling in other areas. Had a lot of fun cycling when I lived in England.

Anyway, hope you get out of the AV ASAP and get moved to much nicer Idaho.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
I think I would take the advice of CFF and tour NID if you get the chance. I will get a chance to go and do a lot of sightseeing once I get moved up there hopefully next summer. I'll be sure to do the route CFF recommends.

I know what you mean about the heat out here in Lancaster/Palmdale. I used to go riding during lunch at EAFB in the summer heat and it was pretty brutal. I was younger and a cycling nut at the time so I put up with it at the time. Much nicer cycling in other areas. Had a lot of fun cycling when I lived in England.

Anyway, hope you get out of the AV ASAP and get moved to much nicer Idaho.
Thanks for your encouragement. It's actually not too bad up here in the AV. I like the openness. Still a few years away before I can bail. Job is too interesting to quit and the compensation is pretty good. Besides, have to wait for the house prices to bounce back a little more. I figure about four years away, but am doing my research now so that I'll have a plan and direction. I'm one who likes to have a long-range plan. If it is realized, or not, is a different matter. Things change.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:43 PM

Volo, I realized you're the one who is looking for places with great bike trails! Check out the link on the Idaho News thread--new bike trail opening up along the Pend Oreille River. We're at least six years away from retirement ourselves, but it helps enormously to have a plan--and a place in NID!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho