Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 04:34 PM

820 posts, read 1,739,915 times

Advertisements

Just got back, thought I would share this with you all, from my Facebook.

Ok now that I have had enough sleep to put together a complete sentence, I can compile my trip.

What an amazing time, definitely the craziest thing I have ever done. I didn't really know what to expect in going, all I knew was I was going to the desert to help my friends finish a race, little did I know, that was only a small part of it.

Driving down to mexico was the first big wakeup. 35 hours in a truck with 3 other dudes, I am very thankful it was JP, Luke and Bill. We meshed well and it was a great trip down. Vegas, well lets just say that I made it my *****. I am so glad that my friends Brandon and Tiff hooked us up, VIP at the Moon was awesome with the Rigid lighting execs. Arrive at 10, at the palms at 10:30, party till 4, back on the drive at 7:30. Hitting the border and seeing Mexicaly was crazy. Really opened my eyes as to what I had gotten myself into. People peeing in the streets, garbage everywhere, buildings that were made from tires and cinder blocks, just eye opening.

San Felipe is so pretty, but like I said, its residents treat it like trash, garbage everywhere, I think the national pastime is throwing out tires on the side of the road. That was our side of the peninsula, we had to pre run it so we knew the track, and what a crazy 3 days that was. Between racing around, trying to make sure we knew the course, flat tires and stuck valves on the bikes and course mishaps, it was a challenge. Met some amazing people though, I just kept walking up to racers and saying whats up and making friends. Meeting Mark McMillin was awesome, I just walk up, say hello, and introduce myself not even knowing who he was. He tells us to sit down and grab a beer and we shot the **** with a legend for an hour. That night, I had a bit too much tequila and went on a little drunken free for all in the desert. Haha, lets just say flip flops and getting semi lost in the desert is not the brightest idea.

We went from there to Ensenada, where we met with the rest of our race of our team, the Bakers. Kinda quiet before the storm there, we had some bonding time, and some exploring time. Preparing the race bike, going over and over the race plan to make sure we all knew the plan. Its scary being out in the middle of the desert, 100's of miles from anything, no contact from your friends your there to back up, and just hoping they don't have problems.

Race day started at 9 am. We had to do tech inspection in downtown Ensenada. Man I miss those street tacos, amazing. get back to the house and start prepping. We qualified the day before, and our start time was 11:45 pm. Gotta pack everything we need for 30 hours because we are going to be all over the peninsula and have to be prepared. Everything during the race is kinda a blur, between, the hurry up and start, the waiting, the driving 100 miles an hour to beat our rider to the next pit, avoiding the locals who don't give a **** and will run you off the road, other chase trucks, and the other racers, it was stressful to say the least. One thing I will remember though, I got to see the sun set on the Pacific and rise on the Sea of Cortez... Amazing.

It took us 30.5 hours to finish, and we even wondered if we could. Race bike had a lot of problems, we lost 2 riders to injury, Luke had to make up a huge section and we had no idea if he was ok or not, but in the end, Brad pulling up over that finish line at 6:30 a day and a half after starting was the best feeling a person could have. Marks son Luke had pulled over the finish line in his trophy truck minutes before we finished and saw us and congratulated us with the comment that I'll never forget, "most people don't finish their first 1000".

With the race over, time for another 35 hours home. It was an amazing trip, one that I will never forget and covered over 5100 miles. I am so thankful for Jp pushing me and pushing me to go with him, as he said "I need someone to watch out for me, and you the craziest person I know". The only problem I have now is, how am I going to top this?

If you don't know what the Baja Series Races are, here is a clip of a documentary about the very race we just did - Trailer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 08:45 PM

291 posts, read 438,318 times
Sounds like a great experience Shaner, bet you slept well when you got home.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:14 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,974 times
Sounds like quite an adventure. The only part I can relate to maybe "bit too much tequila".

Old 11-22-2013, 03:41 PM

820 posts, read 1,739,915 times
I wish I could sleep. Still havent gotten back into a sleep schedule. Got some Melatonin this morning, going to try that tonight.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:01 PM

291 posts, read 438,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
I wish I could sleep. Still havent gotten back into a sleep schedule. Got some Melatonin this morning, going to try that tonight.
That's no good, hope you can get some sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho