Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 05:19 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times

Advertisements

And don't forget South Dakota is now 80mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 07:05 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
And don't forget South Dakota is now 80mph.
I didn't know about S. D., though I was aware of WY and failed to include it as WY residents tend to cross the border between Jackson Hole and Driggs.

Thanks 5f for including WY. Thanks ram2 for telling probably most of us who read this thread about S.D.

Even knowing which states have 80 mph isn't much help by the time a driver is close enough to see license plates we don't automatically know. However, my point wasn't stated clearly enough as tourists can fly in and drive rentals licensed usually in Idaho.

Yellowstone Nat'l Park has already opened via the West Yellowstone entrance. While SkyWest has added a direct flight to West Yellowstone for the summer, and the first time ever, YNP had record tourists last year. The amount of tourists is expected to surpass this year. That isn't mentioning the Tetons, Jackson Hole or Island Park, which also generate a lot of traffic from international and national tourists to more regional visitors and residents who have cabins or time shares in Island Park, Macks Inn etc. and Driggs/Jackson Hole.

Last year Idaho tourism reports an estimated $26.00 million spent in Idaho from tourists visiting the National Parks. It is estimated that 40% of them had stops in Idaho Falls. Between the regular leisure and business travel, that is a lot of extra traffic in the area.

Perhaps Sage and others who have driven the Idaho interstates can offer suggestions of defensive driving. I hope posting about this accident and that the WA motorist who was only driving 55 mph in an 80 mph zone should help raise awareness that not all drivers on our Interstates are driving 80 mph. Think of what you would do if you encountered that situation.

Also, that is the second if not third accident at that location just outside of Blackfoot. I don't claim to know why. However, if accidents continue there perhaps the speed limit will be changed (IDK - just thinking about options).

Y'all drive safely.

MSR

Old 04-27-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Perhaps Sage and others who have driven the Idaho interstates can offer suggestions of defensive driving. I hope posting about this accident and that the WA motorist who was only driving 55 mph in an 80 mph zone should help raise awareness that not all drivers on our Interstates are driving 80 mph. Think of what you would do if you encountered that situation.

MSR

What has this got to do with defensive driving? "Slower traffic keep right" has been one of the most basic driving guidelines for decades. The speed limit is the legal maximum speed, not the speed everyone is required to drive at. In many states, trucks have lower speed limits than other vehicles, so not all vehicles can drive at the same speed.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
What has this got to do with defensive driving? "Slower traffic keep right" has been one of the most basic driving guidelines for decades. The speed limit is the legal maximum speed, not the speed everyone is required to drive at. In many states, trucks have lower speed limits than other vehicles, so not all vehicles can drive at the same speed.
When you read the ISP link on the previous page, what did you summarize as the facts about lanes and speed for both drivers? I didn't ask for basics, I asked given this situation. Granted, from that report I can't see which driver had drunk alcohol. I could guess but won't.

The FACTS of this accident, if I have interpreted correctly are:

1. 55 y.o. WA state man was driving 55 mp in a 80 mph speed limit area. He was in a Nissan.
2. The 60 y.o. ID driver of the semi loaded full of potatoes was following behind the car.
3. The truck driver tried to swerve RIGHT on a two lane southbound Interstate. But he hit the back of the corner of the car.
4. The WA man and car went left from that impact.
5. The semi turned over on the right.
What is the min. Car Speed on 80 mph Interstates in Idaho? What other factors are relevant from your perspective?

What did I miss, except the ground transport to EIRMC?
Are you thinking the WA man was driving slowly in the right lane? Or was he in the left lane?

I look forward to what you concluded from the accident that apparently went over my head.

MSR

Old 04-28-2015, 02:53 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
While the Idaho State Police (ISP) identified alcohol as a factor in this accident, the 55 mph the WA State man was driving in a 80 mph was also cited as a factor.

Written as a "low rate of speed, " the ISP report seems to clearly indicate driving 55 mph in a 80 mph was one of two factors in this crash. I think this is a reminder to UT and ID drivers that visitors may not drive 80 mph, for whatever reasons.

Also, I don't know how common it is for alcohol to be a factor in an accident in the afternoon.

Idaho State Police - News and Information: Final Update - Crash blocking Southbound I15 at 103.5

Y'all drive carefully out there to protect yourselves from out'of-staters who don't drive 80 m.p.h. in their home states.

MSR
What is you source that he was driving 55 mph? I can only find that he was driving "at a low rate of speed".

Old 04-28-2015, 03:39 AM

In South Dakota, the maximum legal speed is 80. The minimum legal speed is 40. How is driving 55 a problem?

Old 04-28-2015, 03:42 AM

Quote:
What is the min. Car Speed on 80 mph Interstates in Idaho? What other factors are relevant from your perspective?

The truck was driving 80 and failed to adjust speed for a slower moving car ahead?

Old 04-28-2015, 05:01 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
The truck was driving 80 and failed to adjust speed for a slower moving car ahead?
And the driver of the car was drunk and driving at a low rate of speed in the left lane.

Thats what happens when a high-balling truck driver meets a slow moving impaired driver on the interstate.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:17 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Regardless of the speed of the car, regardless of the speed of the truck, when you are driving you have to keep an eye out for someone going well under the posted speed limit; whether they are still legal or not! That is true if you are in an 80 mph zone or a 35 mph zone!

Sounds like the truck driver was either distracted or had a problem determining that the guy was going slow.

However, that reports only states that "Alcohol was Involved", it does not state who was drinking! It also does not state the speed of any vehicle.

If the driver of the car was legally drunk than that could be held against him; and at a minimum, he should spend some time in jail for drunk driving. If the driver of the truck was drunk, it will be held against him, and if drunk with a CDL and a loaded potato truck, he needs some serious jail time.

And in regard to tourists. I believe most tourists are literate enough to read a speed limit sign and most know what when crossing state lines that they need to note what the speed limit is in the state they are now driving in. That is true if coming from a 70 to an 80, or from an 80 to a 70.

I guess time will tell. However, the one thing known is that some people will attempt to attach any accident on the interstates of Idaho to the 80 mph speed limit. Accidents like this are NOT unusual in any state on any interstate. It happens quite often. And usually, if the person who is hit from behind is doing over the minimum speed limit, the vehicle that hits the vehicle, is at fault.

As for SD having 80 speeds, I only mentioned WY since it bordered on Idaho. TX also has some 80 mph locations on their interstates and even one short section of 85.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Regardless of the speed of the car, regardless of the speed of the truck, when you are driving you have to keep an eye out for someone going well under the posted speed limit; whether they are still legal or not! That is true if you are in an 80 mph zone or a 35 mph zone!

Sounds like the truck driver was either distracted or had a problem determining that the guy was going slow.

However, that reports only states that "Alcohol was Involved", it does not state who was drinking! It also does not state the speed of any vehicle.

If the driver of the car was legally drunk than that could be held against him; and at a minimum, he should spend some time in jail for drunk driving. If the driver of the truck was drunk, it will be held against him, and if drunk with a CDL and a loaded potato truck, he needs some serious jail time.

And in regard to tourists. I believe most tourists are literate enough to read a speed limit sign and most know what when crossing state lines that they need to note what the speed limit is in the state they are now driving in. That is true if coming from a 70 to an 80, or from an 80 to a 70.

I guess time will tell. However, the one thing known is that some people will attempt to attach any accident on the interstates of Idaho to the 80 mph speed limit. Accidents like this are NOT unusual in any state on any interstate. It happens quite often. And usually, if the person who is hit from behind is doing over the minimum speed limit, the vehicle that hits the vehicle, is at fault.

As for SD having 80 speeds, I only mentioned WY since it bordered on Idaho. TX also has some 80 mph locations on their interstates and even one short section of 85.
Thanks f5. I appreciate you sticking to the facts as released by the ISP, since they are the investigating law enforcement agency.

I think some of the above comments seal the point I was attempting to make. When driving in Idaho motorists are held to Idaho law, not laws from other states or personal speculation. Idaho residents are subjected to a higher risk given those who assume the laws are the same as their home state or speculate which vehicle poses the greatest risk.

No where in the ISP blog did I read the truck driver being cited for speeding.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 04-28-2015 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho