Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:40 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,198,219 times

Advertisements

Hi. I thought I'd wander over from the Oregon forum to ask you folks a couple of questions.
My husband and I live in Southern Oregon. In June we're going to Hayden, Idaho (which is north of Coeur d'Alene). We're towing our 27' travel trailer. We'll be heading north thru Or and Wa, but after our visit in Hayden we want to visit friends in Boise. We're trying to figure out which would be the easiest route to tow a trailer. We, obviously, would prefer to avoid really mountainous routes.

The most direct route, south via Spokane to 95, looks like it could be a difficult drive. Another option is heading over to Missoula and then down Hwy 93 to 20 (@Arco) where we could visit the Craters of the Moon. Or, we could take 90 all the way to Butte, MT and then down to Idaho Falls, where we could pick up 20 west.

We would prefer not to come back into Oregon then over to Boise. After Boise, we'll be heading to John Day then Bend and home.

Which route would you advise? And are there any good campgrounds (with h/u) along the route? Or is there another road that might be a better choice? Looking forward to hearing some advice from you.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 09:19 PM

276 posts, read 640,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
We, obviously, would prefer to avoid really mountainous routes.
That criteria limits you to I-90 east to I-15, then south to I-84, then west to Boise.

Boring.

You want the most beautiful route, you head south out of CDA on US-95 to Lewiston, pick up US-12 east up and over Lolo pass, continue on down to US-93 junction in Lolo, MT. Head south on US-93 and take Lost Trail Pass into Idaho. Stay on US-93 until just past Challis. Head south-west on Idaho 75 until you get to Stanley, ID, then turn east onto Idaho 21 which will bring you into Boise. That route has several mountain passes, so you may not want to do it, but it is a beautiful drive with lots of camping along the way.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:56 PM

Thanks. Most of that I didn't recognize, but the 93 from Challis to 20 is supposed to be a nice flat drive.
How about RT 20 from Idaho Falls thru Craters of the Moon? Can we cut across there?

Old 03-11-2014, 11:05 PM

551 posts, read 798,261 times
My brother is gradually moving his stuff from So Cal to his new place in Spirit Lake north of CDA. He tows a 24" car hauler loaded with all sorts of stuff ever time he goes up there. He goes though northern NV and southern Oregon on the 95 and hits the I-84 near Boise. He goes west on the I-84 then goes on the I-82 for a very short distance near Kennewick and then heads north on the 395 then goes east on the I-90 to CDA.

There are a couple of grades on the I-84 but they aren't too bad. The steepest one is near Pendleton, I think. He has done this drive a bunch of times without any problems. I've driven this route several times (in a car and not towing anything) last year since I'm also moving up there hopefully later this year. I find the drive on the 395 pretty boring though.

This is his truck and trailer at his place in Spirit Lake:

Old 03-12-2014, 12:20 AM

7,339 posts, read 12,555,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck View Post

You want the most beautiful route, you head south out of CDA on US-95 to Lewiston, pick up US-12 east up and over Lolo pass, continue on down to US-93 junction in Lolo, MT. Head south on US-93 and take Lost Trail Pass into Idaho. Stay on US-93 until just past Challis. Head south-west on Idaho 75 until you get to Stanley, ID, then turn east onto Idaho 21 which will bring you into Boise. That route has several mountain passes, so you may not want to do it, but it is a beautiful drive with lots of camping along the way.

That would be a terrific road trip, but towing a trailer on Highway 12 with all the twists and turns would be a nightmare. I don't think taking 95 all the way to 84 and Boise would be a big problem, with good brakes. There are two steep grades, above White Bird and going down to Lewiston, but trucks and RVs do it all the time. It's mountainous around Winchester, but not a difficult road, to my recollection. We usually travel from Clark Fork back to SoCal at the end of the summer (from our vacation/retirement property) along that same route, and continue down 84 to 15 south.

If you do go down 93 from Missoula, I'd go the way KurtAngle suggests, except for Route 21. It is a very narrow, winding mountain road, and is subject to closure in bad weather/fire season. I'd just continue on 75 down through Ketchum to 20 west to Boise. Traveling from Stanley to Ketchum along the Sawtooths on 75 is one of the most spectacular routes in all of Idaho.

We traveled through John Day last year on our way up to North Idaho, and that's a very nice trip, too.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:22 AM

7,339 posts, read 12,555,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
My brother is gradually moving his stuff from So Cal to his new place in Spirit Lake north of CDA. He tows a 24" car hauler loaded with all sorts of stuff ever time he goes up there. He goes though northern NV and southern Oregon on the 95 and hits the I-84 near Boise. He goes west on the I-84 then goes on the I-82 for a very short distance near Kennewick and then heads north on the 395 then goes east on the I-90 to CDA.

There are a couple of grades on the I-84 but they aren't too bad. The steepest one is near Pendleton, I think. He has done this drive a bunch of times without any problems. I've driven this route several times (in a car and not towing anything) last year since I'm also moving up there hopefully later this year. I find the drive on the 395 pretty boring though.

Cute dog!

Old 03-12-2014, 05:15 AM

276 posts, read 640,262 times
Quote:
Thanks. Most of that I didn't recognize, but the 93 from Challis to 20 is supposed to be a nice flat drive.
How about RT 20 from Idaho Falls thru Craters of the Moon? Can we cut across there?
Yes you can take Idaho 20 from Idaho Falls to Mountain home, but I've never been that route. I have no doubt it's much flatter than US-93 from Missoula to Salmon, which is how you'd get to Challis. If you want the flattest route, and want to see Craters, then you want the route I gave you originally, but cut west on Idaho 20 at Idaho Falls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
That would be a terrific road trip, but towing a trailer on Highway 12 with all the twists and turns would be a nightmare.
The 100 miles between Kooskia and Lolo Pass is so slow and winding as to be almost maddening,
but the drive is beautiful, and all the slow-windy is up-hill to the pass, so not a brake-cooker.

Quote:
I don't think taking 95 all the way to 84 and Boise would be a big problem, with good brakes. There are two steep grades, above White Bird and going down to Lewiston, but trucks and RVs do it all the time.
This would be a good route, too, although I'd prefer to pick up Idaho 55
at New Meadows and come south through McCall. Still, more mountains.

Quote:
If you do go down 93 from Missoula, I'd go the way KurtAngle suggests, except for Route 21. It is a very narrow, winding mountain road, and is subject to closure in bad weather/fire season.
Not likely to be closed in June. I've pulled a trailer (21', not 27') that way, and it is a little harrowing, but there's an alternative, too. At Lowman you take a right onto Idaho 17 (Banks-Lowman Road) and cut over to Banks, where you pick up Idaho 55 and head south into Boise. That route eliminates the two narrow winding passes between Lowman and Idaho City, but you'd still have to go up Horseshoe Bend Hill and down the other side. More mountains.

Quote:
I'd just continue on 75 down through Ketchum to 20 west to Boise. Traveling from Stanley to Ketchum along the Sawtooths on 75 is one of the most spectacular routes in all of Idaho.
You speak the truth. That stretch is literally awesome.

Last edited by KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck; 03-12-2014 at 05:25 AM..

Old 03-12-2014, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the responses. Will be back home, later, to read everything!

Old 03-12-2014, 07:59 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,343,189 times
Quote:
The highway out of Idaho Falls to Craters is relatively flat until you get to Craters and then the road climbs up and down hills, and then you climb up a hill out of Carey towards the junction of Highway 20 and 75 south of Sun Valley. The closer you get to Arco the more scenic the drive because the Lost River Mountains are in view.

The highway from the 20/75 junction to Mountain Home is scenic with mountains on both sides of the road with some steeper grades the closer you get to Mountain Home. Mountain Home to Boise is a straight and fast stretch on the Interstate.

If you decide to take I-84 across Southern Idaho to Boise, exit at Twin Falls and take the Thousand Springs Scenic Byway which somewhat runs parallel south of the Interstate. It is a very nice drive. The drive across the Snake River Plains is far from boring if you take other routes besides the Interstate.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post

Spirit Lake is very near Hayden, where we're heading. Looks like a nice place. Did he build the log home? Are you also moving from So Cal?
We'll be going up thru Kennewick/Pasco. I hear it is a bit boring. After leaving Hayden (CDL) we were hoping not to go back thru Wa/Or. We thought we would rather see some different countryside, even if we have to go all the way to Butte and then loop south and back over to Boise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho